Home
Football Manager 2009 News Post

Videogaming247 has the scoop.

Quote:
"IGN US published the review on Friday, closing with: “The menus are complex and difficult to navigate, graphics are terrible, the sound is non-existent and there is no traditional gameplay to speak of. I couldn’t imagine why anybody would prefer Worldwide Soccer Manager to FIFA 09 or Pro Evolution Soccer 2009.”"

Edit: Looks like IGN pulled the review and gives an explanation here.

Game: Football Manager 2009Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: Mac / PC / PSPVotes for game: 3 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Mo @ 12/08/08 10:33 PM
Apparently IGN has removed the review from their site.
 
# 2 tabulaRasa @ 12/09/08 04:55 AM
They should, morons. Anyone who compares a management football game(soccer) to PRo Evo or Fifa is stupid. And Football manager is huge and considered to be supergood by alot of management freaks in europe. I´ll take their opinion over that fools opinion anyday.
 
# 3 Steve_OS @ 12/09/08 05:59 AM
Just edited the news post. IGN pulled the review and gives an explanation.
 
# 4 wooz123 @ 12/09/08 07:15 AM
ign needs to go away, never to be heard from again.
 
# 5 Donovan @ 12/10/08 08:23 AM
Ridiculous, wish I had read the original review, probably would have been funny. Pretty embarrassing for them, especially the way their recanted message reads.

I picked up FM09 for the first time this year and fell in love with it. This from a marginal soccer fan at best who knows little more than the basics of soccer. But after reading the reviews here and the bit about Everton using the game for scouting I was intrigued. It was great, the depth was immense, so many features a game like Fifa should incorporate into Manager Mode. It made me wish there were hockey and football manager sims this good to play with.

The longer Madden continues to suck the more I have to find other sports games to play.
 
# 6 shottah @ 12/16/08 01:08 PM
Warning:

Content of the following post may make you stupider when you read it!!!

Worldwide Soccer Manager 09 Review
 
# 7 Seahawk76 @ 12/16/08 03:59 PM
I've been playing Football Manager 09 for about a month and am addicted to it, but I've got a dumb question for you guys. I'm a footie noob so I was hoping if someone could explain to me what a manager's responsibilities are in real life. Is he also the team's head coach or is that a different position? In American football and baseball the general manager acquires the players while the head coach is responsible for coaching and game day strategy. Is that the same in soccer or does the manager handle all of that?
 
# 8 Peji911 @ 12/16/08 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76
I've been playing Football Manager 09 for about a month and am addicted to it, but I've got a dumb question for you guys. I'm a footie noob so I was hoping if someone could explain to me what a manager's responsibilities are in real life. Is he also the team's head coach or is that a different position? In American football and baseball the general manager acquires the players while the head coach is responsible for coaching and game day strategy. Is that the same in soccer or does the manager handle all of that?
Soccer does management correctly. In North America, you have a coach who's job is to take the players he's given and mold them into a team or the style they like to play.

In Europe, you coach and thus choose the players (for smaller clubs, the type of players) you acquire. It's not a general manager that chooses the players -- that's just ridiculous thinking.

So yes, you hire the scouts you want, what kind of player you want, and then watch tape/read notes. You tell the president who you want, and they try accomodating you according to payroll.
 
# 9 Donovan @ 12/17/08 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shottah
Warning:

Content of the following post may make you stupider when you read it!!!

Worldwide Soccer Manager 09 Review
Crazy. I'm shocked people are so harsh on the game. The guy focuses on the graphics and lack of animation/audio during games rather than the core of the game, managing the team. FM should have stuck with the 2D engine and **** the critics.
 
# 10 Seahawk76 @ 12/17/08 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peji911
Soccer does management correctly. In North America, you have a coach who's job is to take the players he's given and mold them into a team or the style they like to play.

In Europe, you coach and thus choose the players (for smaller clubs, the type of players) you acquire. It's not a general manager that chooses the players -- that's just ridiculous thinking.

So yes, you hire the scouts you want, what kind of player you want, and then watch tape/read notes. You tell the president who you want, and they try accomodating you according to payroll.
Thanks. So it seems like FM09 is a pretty accurate representation of what a football manager does then.

I decided to start out with smaller teams until I figured out what I'm doing so I began unemployed and just finished my first season with Hyde in the Blue Square North and finished 16th. I think I'll continue on and see if I can eventually land bigger jobs and work my way up. The guy who wrote that review is an idiot; this game is very addictive.
 
# 11 Mo @ 12/17/08 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76
Thanks. So it seems like FM09 is a pretty accurate representation of what a football manager does then.

I decided to start out with smaller teams until I figured out what I'm doing so I began unemployed and just finished my first season with Hyde in the Blue Square North and finished 16th. I think I'll continue on and see if I can eventually land bigger jobs and work my way up. The guy who wrote that review is an idiot; this game is very addictive.
That's impressive, in what I'm guessing is your first foray into the franchise, and you pick a Blue Square side.
I would of recommended you pick a bigger club to get your feet wet, and then test your skills at a smaller side, but good for you for not doing that and sticking it out for whole season, I wouldn't have been able to do that.
 
# 12 shottah @ 12/21/08 10:23 PM
Actually, I choose a Small time club the first time I played and got PROMOTED. Unfortunately, I crossed some budgets and they fired me.
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.