Home
News Post

The Wall Street Journal has the scoop.

Quote:
"Memo to Walt Disney CEO Robert Iger: Is it time to grab Electronic Arts?

The company, a premier name in videogames, may be getting cheap enough. With the stock down 18% Friday on disappointing second-quarter earnings, EA's market value is $7.2 billion, down from $19 billion a few years ago."

Member Comments
# 1 spit_bubble @ 11/04/08 07:59 AM
The hunter becomes the hunted?
 
# 2 Trojan Man @ 11/04/08 08:05 AM
This is a good way to expand the market, imo. My daughter loves Tinkerbell, and if she could play "mascot" games in Madden or NCAA with her favorite Disney characters, we'd probably have to cave in and buy an EA football game .
 
# 3 CMH @ 11/04/08 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
This is a good way to expand the market, imo. My daughter loves Tinkerbell, and if she could play "mascot" games in Madden or NCAA with her favorite Disney characters, we'd probably have to cave in and buy an EA football game .
Oh, wow, ha.

I don't get this, though. Since when did Disney want to get into the gaming market?
 
# 4 Cusefan @ 11/04/08 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
Oh, wow, ha.

I don't get this, though. Since when did Disney want to get into the gaming market?
Have you played Pure? Great game made by Disney.

This would be a great buy for Disney and would pretty much give all the EASport games the ESPN license forever.

If Disney bought EA, I think we would finally see some real ESPN Integration into EA sport games...
 
# 5 JohnDoe8865 @ 11/04/08 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
Oh, wow, ha.

I don't get this, though. Since when did Disney want to get into the gaming market?
Disney owns ESPN, ABC, and more - so it kinda makes since that Disney might want to expand into the huge video game market even more. Especially with all of the original Disney IPs and related media that they own.
 
# 6 DubTrey1 @ 11/04/08 11:19 AM
Yay, Madden now with Mickey & Donald. Oh the joy.

Seriously though, this could be a good move for Disney Interactive etc. And we may reap the benefits as gamers.
 
# 7 CMH @ 11/04/08 11:22 AM
I don't know. How profitable is the video game market?

I thought Disney was making every effort to remove itself from outside markets and mainly focus on television and film entertainment, a market they absolutely dominate.
 
# 8 bkfount @ 11/04/08 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXcusefan
Have you played Pure? Great game made by Disney.

This would be a great buy for Disney and would pretty much give all the EASport games the ESPN license forever.

If Disney bought EA, I think we would finally see some real ESPN Integration into EA sport games...
and give them the added financial strength to buy/renew exclusive league licenses forever.
 
# 9 savoie2006 @ 11/05/08 01:23 AM
I don't see Disney buying out EA like EA tried with 2K, but I think a merger of sorts could happen and be very beneficial to both.
 
# 10 Bahnzo @ 11/05/08 06:19 PM
I don't like it. If you think that EA is a big corporate monster that cares only for money, then let me introduce you to Disney...THE corporate monster that cares only for money. Disney wants you think they are family oriented, but they would sell barnyard porn if it would make them huge profits.
 
# 11 asu666 @ 11/05/08 06:59 PM
I don't see EA selling right now because they have just passed a period of investment to get up to speed on technology for this generation of consoles. Now is the point in the cycle where each year the investment pays off more and the next generation of consoles doesn't look like it will require the same investment to make the jump that this generation did. It would take a premium offer, if for no other reason than some of the EA brass remind me of the guy running Yahoo!.
 
# 12 Cusefan @ 11/06/08 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
I don't like it. If you think that EA is a big corporate monster that cares only for money, then let me introduce you to Disney...THE corporate monster that cares only for money. Disney wants you think they are family oriented, but they would sell barnyard porn if it would make them huge profits.
are you aware that every successful company that has ever existed only cared about money...

EA is not NAFTA, their sole existence is to make money...
 
# 13 LIGHTNING @ 11/06/08 12:15 PM
Disney could buy EA at a lower stock price. EA has very high expenses and Disney owns ESPN so it would make sense.
 
# 14 PVarck31 @ 11/06/08 11:34 PM
Please Disney buy EA. Then burn tiburon to the freakin ground.
 
# 15 Cusefan @ 11/07/08 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
Disney could buy EA at a lower stock price. EA has very high expenses and Disney owns ESPN so it would make sense.
Hell, NCAA 09 would even have its game of the week on ABC, how awesome would that be!
 
# 16 DXZeke @ 11/08/08 09:50 AM
I guess buying the largest 3rd party game developer in the world would be a heck of away for Disney to grab some of the market share.

PURE is a pretty kick-A game. I didn't think they'd actually put something out that was a solid release. I hope that more people take a stab at the game.

It's sort of comparable tooa SSX Snowboarding (not as over the top) but instead it's ATVs with great controls and some insanely good visuals.
 
# 17 Cusefan @ 11/08/08 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXZeke
I guess buying the largest 3rd party game developer in the world would be a heck of away for Disney to grab some of the market share.

PURE is a pretty kick-A game. I didn't think they'd actually put something out that was a solid release. I hope that more people take a stab at the game.

It's sort of comparable tooa SSX Snowboarding (not as over the top) but instead it's ATVs with great controls and some insanely good visuals.
Pure was one of the most Fun games I played all year. I must admit, when i first booted it up and i saw disney, i became a little nervous it was gonna such.
 
# 18 areobee401 @ 11/08/08 11:24 PM
What's the worst that could happen? The EA sports line for the most part is average right now. But in the end I don't see EA sellling anytime soon.
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.