Home
News Post

The Wall Street Journal has the scoop.

Quote:
"One of the first rules for chief executives considering an acquisition is not to fall in love with the deal.

There was no risk of that for John Riccitiello, CEO of Electronic Arts. Riccitiello spent nine months chasing Take-Two Interactive Software as a takeover candidate–ultimately submitting an unsolicited $2 billion bid–and apparently zero minutes feeling any regret at calling off the talks.

Riccitiello dismissed the misadventure as “a waste of ink, primarily in the New York Post” and explained that his Redwood City, Calif., software maker walked away because “time was of the essence, because we wanted to impact holiday 2008 sales of Grand Theft Auto IV”–referring to Take-Two’s hit videogame franchise. He described his impulse to buy Take-Two as almost a charitable effort before the holidays, “to help that company get through what has been an uneven profit experience.” Take Two declined to comment."

Member Comments
# 1 Steelersfan85 @ 10/15/08 06:26 AM
They were trying to help themselves not Take-Two. EA would have taken 100% of the profits.
 
# 2 JohnDoe8865 @ 10/15/08 06:54 AM
Riccitiello is a joke if he believes a word of what he is saying. Nice attempt at spinning the failure to acquire competition, but no ...
 
# 3 Goffs @ 10/15/08 09:40 AM
wow how arrogant...
 
# 4 DubTrey1 @ 10/15/08 10:49 AM
Spoken like a true corporate dooshbag.
 
# 5 bigfnjoe96 @ 10/15/08 02:02 PM
Hey John you tried to acquire Take-2 because Activision kick your royal butt in sales & now is the #1 publisher in the world with their acquisition of BLIZZARD...
 
# 6 asu666 @ 10/17/08 01:55 PM
Take Two is easily worth two billion dollars. EA would have been able to recoup its investment just on GTA games this generation. Not to mention that it would finally have great football, basketball, and hockey game engines to work with. Yes I said hockey. NHL 09 is not better than NHL 2K9. No board play, only 10 players on the ice at a time, and if you spend some time with it you'll find NHL 2K9 has a ton of great little touches NHL 09 completely misses on.
 
# 7 FedEx227 @ 10/17/08 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
Take Two is easily worth two billion dollars. EA would have been able to recoup its investment just on GTA games this generation. Not to mention that it would finally have great football, basketball, and hockey game engines to work with. Yes I said hockey. NHL 09 is not better than NHL 2K9. No board play, only 10 players on the ice at a time, and if you spend some time with it you'll find NHL 2K9 has a ton of great little touches NHL 09 completely misses on.
How much would you bet they wouldn't use the 2k engines. Seriously. This is EA, I'm positive they would swallow Take-Two and go about their business making the same games, with the same engines.
 
# 8 PaulZweber @ 10/17/08 05:11 PM
Yeah, I think they were trying to do this takeover to eliminate competition, not to use Take Two's game engine. EA tried to spin this to make them look like a generous company, but that is not true at all. We can see right through you John!
 
# 9 jmood88 @ 10/17/08 05:20 PM
There's no way that he said this with a straight face.
 
# 10 asu666 @ 10/17/08 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedEx227
How much would you bet they wouldn't use the 2k engines. Seriously. This is EA, I'm positive they would swallow Take-Two and go about their business making the same games, with the same engines.
I don't disagree with you. There is a very good chance EA would just kill 2K's superior franchises because it wouldn't matter with no options for players to turn to.
 
# 11 Cusefan @ 10/20/08 04:15 PM
Well EA's new game Dead Space, pretty much end the discussion that EA would have Ruined GTA. I dont know if anyone has played it here, But it is down right amazing. EA hit a Home Run here...
 
# 12 Cusefan @ 10/20/08 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptialG
You'd better find a bodyguard. Saying something nice about EA is strictly forbidden at operationsports.com, one of the fanatics may put out a contract.
Its alright, i was a Army sniper less than a year ago :-)

I am glad that Take2 remained Independent but If 2k does not put out any really high Quality games pretty soon, Take2 employees may be looking for work elsewhere. If i am a TT Employee, I would be hoping to get bought out by a Big name company like EA or Activision. The Argument that EA does not put out high Quality games is no longer Valid.
 
# 13 weedmanus @ 10/21/08 08:41 AM
I believe the word is "Lazy"!! or "Loligaggers"!!

I once thought of EA as THE BEST sports game producers in THE WORLD...boy they've let us, THE FANS, down time & time again with shotty programing & re-releases of last years games...

...like the poor S.O.B. that lives with the old battle-axe that never shuts her mouth...I think it's time for you to fly!!
 
# 14 texbuk84 @ 11/19/08 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXcusefan
Well EA's new game Dead Space, pretty much end the discussion that EA would have Ruined GTA. I dont know if anyone has played it here, But it is down right amazing. EA hit a Home Run here...
Yeah your right, Dead Space is a great game but EA DIDNT MAKE IT. They published the game though.
 
# 15 ChaseB @ 11/20/08 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwil5050
Yeah your right, Dead Space is a great game but EA DIDNT MAKE IT. They published the game though.
EA Redwood (Shores) made the game. It was an internally created IP. So, yea, EA did make it and publish it.
 
# 16 Swingking77 @ 11/23/08 03:03 PM
It's a great game... I can't wait for the second one to come out so that they can bring in the "Be A Space Monster" mode where I can develop my monster from a podling into a huge mega monster... What does this have to do with Dead Space you might ask? Well there's space monsters in it... So people will want to make a fake life where they can become one... Who wants to play a great horror survival game any ways...

And that is EA's view of video game... They're basically like a super capitalistic Sid Meyers that wan't to make everything into a single person sim game... Like FOX and reality tv shows...
 
# 17 Kashanova @ 11/23/08 04:12 PM
whoa when did activision and blizzard merge?
 
# 18 stoncold32 @ 11/23/08 04:50 PM
this guy sounds like a rat...and a sneaky rat at that
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.