Home
News Post

IGN has posted two new gameplay videos of Baja: Edge of Control.

Game: Baja: Edge of ControlReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 3 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 lnin0 @ 09/23/08 05:11 PM
Give me this over Pure. Pure feels to much like SSX on ATVs for my taste. Baja looks a bit more realistic. Is there an in-car view though?
 
# 2 av7 @ 09/24/08 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandon
No in car view, but the game is lots of fun to play, if your into sim style off road racing. It's hard in a good way. Without going into it to far since no one has an interest in the game. I would give it no less then an 8, graphs are not the best but the gameplay more then make up for it.
From what I've seen I wouldn't lump it into the sim category. Reminds me alot of MX vs ATV Untamed trophy trucks. No in-car view? Fundamental to being a sim in the first place
 
# 3 lnin0 @ 09/24/08 07:30 PM
Yeah, I saw some more screens and the most Ive seen is the hood view. How are the online options? It has been a while since I enjoyed a good off road game. Did not enjoy DiRT at all - strayed way to much from the CMR formula. Is this better/same/worse than DiRT's trucks?

Baja doesn't come off to me as the Forza of dirt but it does at least look to go where no game has gone in a good while. Might be worth looking into

Man, I was just cleaning out some boxes the other day and came across my old Rally Championship CD...ah, the hours of fun we had old friend...
 
# 4 av7 @ 09/24/08 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
Yeah, I saw some more screens and the most Ive seen is the hood view. How are the online options? It has been a while since I enjoyed a good off road game. Did not enjoy DiRT at all - strayed way to much from the CMR formula. Is this better/same/worse than DiRT's trucks?

Baja doesn't come off to me as the Forza of dirt but it does at least look to go where no game has gone in a good while. Might be worth looking into

Man, I was just cleaning out some boxes the other day and came across my old Rally Championship CD...ah, the hours of fun we had old friend...
Not sure if you've ever tried it but ORR 2 mod for rFactor is pretty fun and has a good feel to it. The guys that designed it tried to get it as close to the real deal for trophy trucks. Not a console game so it might not be what you want
 
# 5 ofdman @ 09/24/08 08:23 PM
Games like Motorstorm, PURE, GRID, Gran Turismo 5, etc have spoiled me when it comes to graphics. However, this looks interesting enough for me to drop the money to get it day one

I'm a sucker for racing games. I'm kind of worried though because one of the developers mentioned that they have some kind of "behind the scenes" programming to ensure you never experience what he calls "lonely racer syndrome". Sounds like rubber band AI to me. I mean he even said that there would always be a pack of cars around you regardless of if you're good or bad basically.

Also, since the graphics are somewhat weak I would HOPE that it runs at a smooth 60FPS. The vids sure don't but i'm hoping it is just the capture and not the game.

But, I really like the fact that you can wipe out and continue rolling down a cliff and the game doesn't reset you right away. You get to watch the whole wreck WOOHOO!

Hope its good!
 
# 6 av7 @ 09/28/08 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandon
For you anyway, I do understand your point though. I can't image Madden in the first person, they tried it and it failed badly. Most people want to think of madden as a sim football game but first person would and did kill the game. So there are other views that qualify IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4UEQZ42MlE

Seems like arcade to me

Madden doesnt compare to a race game with first-person cameras. Madden you play with 11 on the field, racing its just you and the car. I dont see the relation between the two?
 
# 7 lnin0 @ 09/28/08 12:27 PM
From the videos it looks more realistic than Pure but the gravity is defiantly off for a sim.
 
# 8 Bahnzo @ 09/28/08 12:47 PM
I've played it, and it's somewhere between a sim and arcade. It has a good degree of difficulty and a handling model that points it more towards the sim end of the scale, yet some things like the physics knock it down a bit.

There is definitely some rubber-band logic for the AI, at least as far as the circuit racing goes, but not so much for the rally and baja style racing. The courses are the environments are pretty nice, and as far as I'm concerned the graphics are just fine. There's no in-car camera, but there is a hood and what is kind of a bumper cam, ala Forza 2.

Overall it's a really good game, surprisingly so IMO. If something like Pure isn't your bag, then Baja will scratch your itch for off-road racing. I'd give it a solid 7.5/10.
 
# 9 coffeeholic @ 10/02/08 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandon
No in car view, but the game is lots of fun to play, if your into sim style off road racing. It's hard in a good way. Without going into it to far since no one has an interest in the game. I would give it no less then an 8, graphs are not the best but the gameplay more then make up for it.
i'm interested-my hesitation is with the less than favorable reviews/and from the videos the gravity physics look very arcadish. not sure if that's my bag if that's the case.
 
# 10 Richzilla @ 10/04/08 08:33 PM
Gamefly sent this game to me last week.

I didn't like it much. It was just ok. Not bad but not great. It's average.

I've already sent it back.

I like dirt way better than this especially once I got my wheel dialed in.

Just my 2 cents. I could be wrong.
 
# 11 ofdman @ 10/06/08 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richzilla
Gamefly sent this game to me last week.

I didn't like it much. It was just ok. Not bad but not great. It's average.

I've already sent it back.

I like dirt way better than this especially once I got my wheel dialed in.

Just my 2 cents. I could be wrong.
Nice screen name

Seriously man, you should have kept it longer IMO. Because, this games needs time. And LOTS of it! After the first SEVERAL races the game STARTS to shine. Then, even later in the game, it gets AWESOME! Like a completely different game! I really wish the developers had made this game where you would SEE just how good the game is and what it has to offer early on because I see too many folks dropping out too soon because of how the game plays at the beginning stages.

I say, if you really are into off road racing anyways, get it again and spend a LOT of time with it. It does pay off later (much later in a way) and it went from being a game I though for SURE I wouldn't keep to a game i'll keep for a VERY long time!

It is in no way perfect. It has a lot of issues and I REALLY hope the developers get another chance at it for a sequel because, IMO, they have a great foundation for the next version.

It's one of my favorite racing games. And I too LOVE Dirt.
 
# 12 Richzilla @ 10/07/08 08:14 PM
Based on your feedback I will pick up a copy of this game again when the price goes down in a couple months.

I'm not ready to spend 60 bucks on it but I will give it another chance for say 19.99 or 24.99.

Way too many games coming out around this time of year
 
# 13 ofdman @ 10/10/08 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richzilla
Based on your feedback I will pick up a copy of this game again when the price goes down in a couple months.

I'm not ready to spend 60 bucks on it but I will give it another chance for say 19.99 or 24.99.

Way too many games coming out around this time of year
The reason I said "nice screen name" is because on almost every other forum out there my name is zilla and I forgot that on this board it isn't. Probably wondered what the heck I was talking about LOL!

Yeah, WAY too many games coming out!! I am glad my birthday is Monday! I told everyone to give me either Best Buy or Gamestop gift cards

But yes, if you think about it down the "road" give it another chance. I REALLY didn't like it at ALL for the first few days but after I got used to it and moved up it became SOOOO much better!

Good attitude BTW! Nice to see this for a change.

I sure hope I clean up with the gift cards. I have a VERY long list of upcoming games.
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.