Home
News Post

According to Major Nelson, the Top Spin 3 demo is available now on the Marketplace.

Quote:
"Grab your raquet and prepare to be totally immersed in every game, set and match in the most visually and physically realistic tennis experience ever! Pitch yourself against the top ranked professional players, both past and present, on the world’s most famous tennis courts and rise up in the ranks to beat the best players, both off and on - line. This is Tennis with attitude, a definitive ground breaking tennis game that brings the excitement of the tennis court to your console. Are you up to the challenge?"

Game: Top Spin 3Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 10 - View All
Top Spin 3 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Scott @ 06/26/08 08:43 AM
Not up in the PS3 store yet.
 
# 2 boomhauertjs @ 06/26/08 08:49 AM
Highly doubt I'll buy the game, but I'll check out the demo.

Any idea on which players you can use?

(fingers crossed for Sharapova)

Edit: Federer and Roddick
 
# 3 Blzer @ 06/26/08 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Not up in the PS3 store yet.
Doesn't PSN update on Thursdays? Guess we'll have to wait till next Thursday?
 
# 4 DaImmaculateONe @ 06/26/08 06:13 PM
yeah i was wondering where the ps3 demo is been wanting to see how it play on that system
 
# 5 Spectre @ 06/26/08 07:14 PM
I'll give this a gander when I get back home
 
# 6 allBthere @ 06/26/08 07:48 PM
very smart demo.

it doesn't let you play too much, but has a showroom feature that explains what is happening between rodick and federer and you can watch from a few diff camera angles.

you can play a playoff match against the two being fed. by default and there is a learning tutorial, and it's all below 400mb!

good demo, the animation is like nba2k8 style, very good, and i'll definitely rent it for sure. And if you're big into tennis it could easily be a buy.

I like how you can have passing shots now if you 'out guess' the other guy because of new weight and momentum to the players. Serve aces should be a touch more frequent from the last outting from what i can tell. It's definitely better overall from 2, and the controls aren't really THAT different, all you have to do is let go of the button at the right time this year instead of just sitting on them like you did in 2. I like the controls, but next time they should just move it all to the right stick like the serving.
 
# 7 videobastard @ 06/26/08 09:06 PM
Played a few games but its too slow to me. I still prefer virtua tennis 3.
 
# 8 The Bimmer @ 06/26/08 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Doesn't PSN update on Thursdays? Guess we'll have to wait till next Thursday?
Its in the ps3 store now. Pretty good stuff, I haven't played a tennis game since SCT but this is more realistic.
 
# 9 PAPERNUT @ 06/26/08 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobastard
Played a few games but its too slow to me. I still prefer virtua tennis 3.
I agree with the slow part. The controls and hitting animations just seem jerky to me or something. I may need more time and like the idea they are going with, but the presentation and crowd is a total bore. The graphics are excellent, but Im still waiting for a game to get the service game right with realistic speed and aces. I was really looking forward to the game, but I feel underwhelmed with it at this point.
 
# 10 mgoblue @ 06/26/08 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papernut
I agree with the slow part. The controls and hitting animations just seem jerky to me or something. I may need more time and like the idea they are going with, but the presentation and crowd is a total bore. The graphics are excellent, but Im still waiting for a game to get the service game right with realistic speed and aces. I was really looking forward to the game, but I feel underwhelmed with it at this point.
I will say that I was frustrated and annoyed for a while when I first started playing...the controls are completely different from any other tennis game you've played, so if you just play like you used to in the past then you'll find the game speed, animations, etc just frustrating you and not hitting the ball right. It's all about position and timing, and the game really flows once you actually learn it.

It's different than Madden or other games, where I can pick up the new game and be pretty damn decent right away. This game is hard and different...

It may not be your cup of tea anyways, but I don't want people giving up too early and missing out on a great game.

I agree 100% with presentation, career, no play by play, etc it all blows hardcore.
 
# 11 Blzer @ 06/26/08 10:53 PM
Downloaded the demo. The game is a bit slow. That's my only real impression so far.
 
# 12 CMH @ 06/26/08 11:00 PM
Tennis is slow. We call that realism.
 
# 13 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 06/26/08 11:04 PM
I'm about to download this. Hell, I'm probably about to buy this.
 
# 14 Bornindamecca @ 06/27/08 01:27 AM
I'm a huge fan of the demo. I'll be picking this up pretty soon. I might wait a couple weeks and see if the supposed learning curve produces some used copies early. When I read the reviews, I just knew that this was a case of scrubby reviewers whining. "This is hard for me, it's bad." Lord have freaking mercy. Set your feet and let go of the damned button, it's not nuclear physics. This game will take a long time to master, as any game should, but it didn't take long to play at all.

I agree with the general sentiment here, the new gameplay forces you to invest in every swing, and makes it much more satisfying to bury someone with a winner. God forbid 2k gave a Tennis game deep gameplay. They should just put Sharapova skins on Pong and put it out, and watch the 8s and 9s roll in. Sessler's Soapbox and Zero Punctuation may be the only redeeming qualities of the gaming media.

From what I can tell, the presentation issues are valid.
 
# 15 DaImmaculateONe @ 06/27/08 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobastard
Played a few games but its too slow to me. I still prefer virtua tennis 3.
lol virtual tennis 3 where u dive all over the place. yeah that not realistic.
 
# 16 DaImmaculateONe @ 06/27/08 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
Tennis is slow. We call that realism.
Tennis is not slow at least the mens. why dont you try watchin Wimbledon

Demo up in the ps3 store
 
# 17 PaperLantern @ 06/27/08 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
I'm a huge fan of the demo. I'll be picking this up pretty soon. I might wait a couple weeks and see if the supposed learning curve produces some used copies early. When I read the reviews, I just knew that this was a case of scrubby reviewers whining. "This is hard for me, it's bad." Lord have freaking mercy. Set your feet and let go of the damned button, it's not nuclear physics. This game will take a long time to master, as any game should, but it didn't take long to play at all.

I agree with the general sentiment here, the new gameplay forces you to invest in every swing, and makes it much more satisfying to bury someone with a winner. God forbid 2k gave a Tennis game deep gameplay. They should just put Sharapova skins on Pong and put it out, and watch the 8s and 9s roll in. Sessler's Soapbox and Zero Punctuation may be the only redeeming qualities of the gaming media.

From what I can tell, the presentation issues are valid.
Amen. Xplay gave the game a 4/10, and the reviewer actually states the the reason was because the controls were too difficult.

I was like WTF? Maybe you should actually learn and go through training before you give up on it.

As for my thoughts, I thought it was AWESOME. Unfortunately, I'm saving up for NCAA 09 so I'll only be able to rent this for now.
 
# 18 gbx34 @ 06/27/08 06:36 PM
So far it pretty good, It nothing like the other top spins game which i like. the control are like the opposite to smash court. They dont have an option to higher the difficulty which sucks so i cant get a better feel for the game. Also there is not enough unforced errors, but i never seen a tennis game perfect that.
 
# 19 JBucc @ 06/28/08 01:15 AM
I don't know much about tennis but I like the demo. It's kind of odd at first because you're used to just hitting a button and doing an action, but here you have to hold the button and time the release. The AI is dumb as a brick on this difficulty level.

The players look great and I love the way the cloth and hair moves, looks awesome. I guess you can put all that detail in when you only have two people playing and a relatively small playing area and crowd.

Even though I like it I wouldn't pay $60 for a tennis game. Might pick it up used later on.
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.