Home
News Post

TGR has the scoop.

Quote:
"One reason why Ubisoft is considered a potential buyer is the fact that Laurent Detoc, President for North America, stated recently that the company is moving away from solely working on games, and would like to branch out into brands across all forms of media. Considering the fact that BioShock is currently in the early stages of a movie deal, this sort of acquisition would fit squarely into the expansions Ubisoft is trying to fashion."

Thanks Steelersfan85!

Member Comments
# 1 bkfount @ 06/11/08 01:56 PM
They'll have to bring the cash to top EA's offer to shareholders. Also, EA owns like 25% of Ubisoft voting shares. Could be interesting.
 
# 2 allBthere @ 06/11/08 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
They'll have to bring the cash to top EA's offer to shareholders. Also, EA owns like 25% of Ubisoft voting shares. Could be interesting.
what???
are you saying EA has been buying shares of Ubisoft off the paris stock exchange? I would really doubt that.
 
# 3 bkfount @ 06/11/08 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
what???
are you saying EA has been buying shares of Ubisoft off the paris stock exchange? I would really doubt that.
this happened like a year ago.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/...fx3998595.html

Quote:
PARIS (Thomson Financial) - Electronic Arts has raised its holding of voting shares in Ubisoft Entertainment to 24.86 pct, and owns 15.37 pct of its capital after exceeding the 20 pct of votes threshold on Friday, said French market regulator AMF.
 
# 4 Steelersfan85 @ 06/11/08 03:12 PM
I am praying Ubisoft buys them out instead of EA. (thanks for giving me the credit).
 
# 5 wildthing2022000 @ 06/11/08 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan85
I am praying Ubisoft buys them out instead of EA. (thanks for giving me the credit).
So we'll have Ubisoft buy Take-Two then EA buys Ubisoft. Either way either directly or indirectly EA will get Take-Two sooner or later.
 
# 6 JBucc @ 06/11/08 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing2022000
So we'll have Ubisoft buy Take-Two then EA buys Ubisoft. Either way either directly or indirectly EA will get Take-Two sooner or later.
Then M$ will buy EA and WalMart will buy M$ and we'll all be playing Tom Clancy's Madden Theft Auto 2k9 on our Sam's Box 720.


Seriously though, I don't want ubi anywhere near Take 2. They shovel out as much trash and whore out their brands as much as anyone in the industry.
 
# 7 wildthing2022000 @ 06/11/08 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBucc
Then M$ will buy EA and WalMart will buy M$ and we'll all be playing Tom Clancy's Madden Theft Auto 2k9 on our Sam's Box 720.


Seriously though, I don't want ubi anywhere near Take 2. They shovel out as much trash and whore out their brands as much as anyone in the industry.
Nah, Nintendo will use their Wii/WiiFit profits to buy EA & then truly win the console war.
 
# 8 Radja @ 06/11/08 06:35 PM
all right, i need to be pro-active instead of pissing and moaning about this.

i am now going to head up the official operation sports hostile take over of take two commission.

we will all chip in and buy it up. everybody get you jar you throw your lose change in and start adding it up. i probably got $60 in mine.

it's clearly going to take a team effort but if all stand united we can do it. i need a CEO, CFO and helicopter pilot to take me and the three of us around. any volunteers?
 
# 9 spankdatazz22 @ 06/11/08 10:35 PM
I'm pulling for Ubi; at least there'd be *some* hope that they'd make an attempt to cultivate 2K's sports titles. An EA takeover would pretty much put the final nail in the coffin on sports videogaming.
 
# 10 Behindshadows @ 06/11/08 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radja
all right, i need to be pro-active instead of pissing and moaning about this.

i am now going to head up the official operation sports hostile take over of take two commission.

we will all chip in and buy it up. everybody get you jar you throw your lose change in and start adding it up. i probably got $60 in mine.

it's clearly going to take a team effort but if all stand united we can do it. i need a CEO, CFO and helicopter pilot to take me and the three of us around. any volunteers?
I'm willing to chip in $40,000 if someone else will match that! And give me upper management!
 
# 11 t216 @ 06/12/08 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan85
I am praying Ubisoft buys them out instead of EA. (thanks for giving me the credit).
Amen to that!
 
# 12 spit_bubble @ 06/14/08 12:31 PM
*in my best Jim Mora voice*

Ubisoft?! Ubisoft?!



Ya know... Microsoft just broke off talks with Yahoo... Or was it the other way around...

Anyways... I still see Sony and/or Microsoft jumping in here at the last minute and snatching up TTWO.

More likely Microsoft.
 
# 13 The GIGGAS @ 06/14/08 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
*in my best Jim Mora voice*

Ubisoft?! Ubisoft?!



Ya know... Microsoft just broke off talks with Yahoo... Or was it the other way around...

Anyways... I still see Sony and/or Microsoft jumping in here at the last minute and snatching up TTWO.

More likely Microsoft.
Yeah, M$ definitely wants to piss off EA.
 
# 14 spit_bubble @ 06/14/08 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
Yeah, M$ definitely wants to piss off EA.
And what's EA gonna do? Like they give two f**** about 'em anyways.
 
# 15 bkfount @ 06/14/08 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
*in my best Jim Mora voice*

Ubisoft?! Ubisoft?!



Ya know... Microsoft just broke off talks with Yahoo... Or was it the other way around...

Anyways... I still see Sony and/or Microsoft jumping in here at the last minute and snatching up TTWO.

More likely Microsoft.
The Yahoo deal is funny, since the MS bid inflated their stock price and Yahoo wanted more money. MS walked away and Yahoo's stock plummeted. It's so bad that Yahoo mentioned that they'll get lawsuits from shareholders and will probably have top executives outed. The way Yahoo ended up is pretty much the worst way to come out of a takeover bid. Their company is worth less now than before MS even bid, since the leaders were so incompetent and shareholders got pissed off.
 
# 16 bkfount @ 06/14/08 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
Yeah, M$ definitely wants to piss off EA.
MS shut down their own sports developers to get EA over the xbox live last generation. They even had the promising High Heat engine that could have been amazing under a big money publisher like MS.

I doubt MS will ever want to piss EA off.
 
# 17 The GIGGAS @ 06/15/08 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
MS shut down their own sports developers to get EA over the xbox live last generation. They even had the promising High Heat engine that could have been amazing under a big money publisher like MS.

I doubt MS will ever want to piss EA off.
I know... my sentence was complete sarcasm... which doesn't come across over the internets. My mistake.
 
# 18 The GIGGAS @ 06/15/08 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
And what's EA gonna do? Like they give two f**** about 'em anyways.
EA will take off their massively selling games off of the 360, and sales of PS3s go through the roof, because they're the only place you get to play EA sports games.
 
# 19 LIGHTNING @ 06/16/08 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
EA will take off their massively selling games off of the 360, and sales of PS3s go through the roof, because they're the only place you get to play EA sports games.

If EA did that they would suffer a 55% drop in revenue.
 
# 20 CM Hooe @ 06/17/08 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
If EA did that they would suffer a 55% drop in revenue.
Doubtful. EA still develops titles for every console under the moon (as such they'd still make money off the games they develop), and forgoing the 360 would eliminate development costs for that console. While they'd lose profits from 360 games, they'd still make money off of every other console they sell games on. Also, it's not like Microsoft has a tremendous advantage in market share over Sony (particularly if you count both the PS2 and PS3 installed base, in which case they are actually at a distinct disadvantage) or Nintendo (which I believe leads in market share over the PS3 and 360).

For a real-life example, look at the Sega Dreamcast. While I loved the console and it was the birthplace of the 2K Sports games, one could argue that the reason it failed was the lack of support from EA. Without support from EA, consumers would go elsewhere to buy their massively popular titles (e.g. Madden, Need For Speed, The Sims, etc.).
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.