Home
Madden 09 News Post

There has been an onslaught of previews popping up across the Net following the EA Sports press event in Vancouver last week. At the event most of EA Sportsí big hitters for this year were shown, none bigger than the behemoth that is Madden NFL 09. However, the Madden media fallout has led to a few inconsistencies in the various previews which now need to be cleared up. Operation Sports recently contacted EA Sports to hopefully clear up some of the confusion, and today Madden NFL Executive Producer Dale Jackson responded to the request.

Following the event some outlets wrote that in-game saves would be in the game this year, but Jackson said that the team was not able to include in-game saves this year.

Quote:
"We won't have in game saves this year. We hear the feedback, but we are focusing our remaining time on bug fixing, tuning, and polishing the game in the short time remaining this year. We keep a list of requests we see and will make sure this is added."

Another point of contention dealt with what was said at the press event. Madden NFL Senior Producer Phil Frazier said at one point that presentation and online leagues were the two biggest focuses for Madden 09. While that may be true, Dale Jackson wanted to clarify Mr. Frazierís statement:

Quote:
"I also want to clarify that Game play is our number one priority this year and has a group of developers specifically devoted to it. Presentation and on-line leagues were the top 2 user requested features coming out of last year, and we wanted to make sure that we addressed them."

Operation Sportsí Executive News Editor Steve Noah attended the event in Vancouver but he doesnít remember hearing Mr. Frazier specify if it was EAís or the usersí number one request.

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BlackRome @ 05/13/08 12:15 AM
If you want to play a complete version of Madden the original Xbox version is still the best. I have purchased Madden for 3 years on my 360 only to return it for the Xbox version. I have no doubt this will be the case again this year.
 
# 2 BlackRome @ 05/13/08 12:20 AM
I wonder if they fixed the Submission feature. When your online and go up by 21 in the 3rd or 17 in the 4th and a person quits you are allowed to quit and gain the win on the Xbox version.

Somehow this simple feature which has been on the Xbox version for years did not make it to the 360.

It was one of the main reasons I returned madden for the 360. You have to sit and play the Computer the entire game if someone quits.
 
# 3 yamabushi @ 05/13/08 12:41 AM
[sad trombone]
 
# 4 bkrich83 @ 05/13/08 02:18 AM
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Imo, in-game saves should be in every sports game. This is a major disappointment for me personally.

I could care less about Chain gangs, and refs on the field, but in game saves are huge for me. There is no, and I mean no excuse for Madden in the year 2008 to not have something as basic as in-game saves.
 
# 5 JRod @ 05/13/08 02:34 AM
It's not that they didn't have time, they've made this design decision for a very long time now.

Probably has to do with points or something. EA hates people that have other things to do and can't play a full game every time.
 
# 6 spit_bubble @ 05/13/08 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabushi
[sad trombone]
[laugh track]
 
# 7 Hammerhunker @ 05/13/08 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I could care less about Chain gangs, and refs on the field, but in game saves are huge for me.
Others have preferences, are just as important, and most don't tell other people that their's aren't important. I want user camera angle, but that isn't anymore important than someone else's wish, nor do I vocalize it.

Well sir, you should care more about chain gangs and refs, and every other little nuance that is left out. This is the 4th version on the new gen. and we consumers are shortchanged continually. When the little things are not going to be addressed, how can we expect anything big.
 
# 8 callmetaternuts @ 05/13/08 08:16 AM
If this isnt in there, but they fix all glitches, throw in presentation and basically complete the game, im fine with it. We will never have everything that we want.
 
# 9 Hammerhunker @ 05/13/08 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
We will never have everything that we want.
We can at least expect what was once in the older versions, for crying out loud.
 
# 10 edubbs @ 05/13/08 08:45 AM
What's even more interesting is this quote from the producer:

"We won't have in game saves this year. We hear the feedback, but we are focusing our remaining time on bug fixing, tuning, and polishing the game in the short time remaining this year."

I always knew the retail version of Madden was finished around the end of June every year.

His response kinda suggests that it will be finished even earlier this year, or around the same time.

They have already initiated the Quality Assurance (QA) phase, for this year's game. Which means they are already in the Final process of completing Madden09.

Hopefully, they catch the game killing bugs before they complete this title by the end of next month.
 
# 11 DJ @ 05/13/08 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
I agree 100%. Other than eliminating the obvious glitches of 08' this is one feature I definitely expected to have again. Not getting this in is inexcuseable!!! For adult gamers no in-game saves makes the game much less playable as many of us just don't have time to play complete games in one sitting. So much for all the 09' hype ... I was starting to get excited about 09' but once again it appears EA will fall short of expectations ....
Well said. There's no reason to not have in-game saves at this point...especially when they had it BACK IN 2004!
 
# 12 Dondadda @ 05/13/08 09:46 AM
As a 32yo lifelong (since I was 7) sports gamer, IMHO this is the lowest point that the sports gaming industry has been at since the 2600 days. Just depressing. And, unfortunately, it's mostly EA's fault. Too bad.

Another shovel-worthy version of Madden? I hope not, but it's looking like the string of junk football releases is going to continue.
 
# 13 CFav @ 05/13/08 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
I agree 100%. Other than eliminating the obvious glitches of 08' this is one feature I definitely expected to have again. Not getting this in is inexcuseable!!! For adult gamers no in-game saves makes the game much less playable as many of us just don't have time to play complete games in one sitting. So much for all the 09' hype ... I was starting to get excited about 09' but once again it appears EA will fall short of expectations ....
Co sign (almost a 100%...I'm not "fooled" by the hype anymore though, not excited one lil bit), but I agree whole heartedly that for those that have a family and/or are adults w/ many responsibilities, the lack of in game saves (again) should make this game off limits for many people.

I may never buy Madden again, and this is one of the many reasons why, but I was hoping that they (EA) would give their "loyal" fans their money's worth this year and include the features/gameplay that SHOULD have been there from day 1 on the next gen consoles.

I am truly amazed that they haven't AT LEAST included the accelerated clock. But then again we should all know better than to expect EA to actually add a useful feature on their next gen Madden games. Anyway, I wish anyone who buys this weed plate luck, and hope they get what they were wishing for from Madden.

1
 
# 14 SidVish @ 05/13/08 10:06 AM
This is definitely a disappointment. There's really no excuse for it not to be in.
 
# 15 TurboTitan @ 05/13/08 10:10 AM
Looks like I will be sticking with Madden 08 on the PC for another year. I would really like to know, when people interview these guys at EA, and they give a COMPLETE BS excuse like running out of time being why they didnt implement in-game saves (for the 4th straight year) why are they NEVER called on it, or at least simply asked "Why"??? Will they refuse further interviews or something?
 
# 16 Hey_Rebby @ 05/13/08 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTitan
Looks like I will be sticking with Madden 08 on the PC for another year. I would really like to know, when people interview these guys at EA, and they give a COMPLETE BS excuse like running out of time being why they didnt implement in-game saves (for the 4th straight year) why are they NEVER called on it, or at least simply asked "Why"??? Will they refuse further interviews or something?
That's what I want to know...WHY?
 
# 17 ewto16 @ 05/13/08 11:04 AM
Seriously, F-you EA. I'm a 32 year old with a wife that likes to play sports games. I don't always have an hour or more to sit around and play a complete game of football. I'd like to be able to save my game in progress when I need to go to dinner with my wife, go out with my wife, or do whatever else I may have to do in my real life. Instead, I'm forced to block out an hour of more of time every time I want to sit down and play one game of football.

Stop being so gosh-damn lazy and make the game right. I'm unwilling to beleive that the PS2 with a freaking MEMORY CARD could do in-game saves with not issues, yet these new, powerful next-gen systems with built in hard drives can't. Your constant desire to push out a throughly rushed game with little to no effort placed on actually making the game better each year is frustrating beyond belief.

Isn't it a sign that most of what people want/request is that you just include the stuff that was actually in the game already? All we want is the game that we played last-gen on the PS2/Xbox with some improved grahics and much better AI. Why is this so difficult for you to understand? Why do you keep doing the opposite of what everyone wants?

Again, screw you. I hope you read this post and realize that you have lost a gamer that has played and owned your game every single year since the first Madden on the Genesis. Oh wait, if you actually read feedback on a forum, you wouldn't "F" your game up so bad. I guess I shouldn't expect you to actually care about a customer.
 
# 18 Beardown @ 05/13/08 11:31 AM
What a huge disappointment for me. I am a father of three and get interrupted constantly. I pause the game and when I come back yep it is frozen. I have to rush to complete a game and not enjoy it. The other big plus to in-game saves is when you play a great game and you go to exit and the game freezes before you are allowed to save, in-game saves give you that insurance that you will not have to replay the game.

It would at least be a bit more bearable if that sim forward feature worked decently, I forget the name for it because I am so angry right now, but if you used that feature you would get like 50 plays every minute. I remember playing a half and then I had to leave so I fast forward the second half on 8 minute quarters and I ended with over 700 yards of offense.

EA is just making it harder and harder every year to support this game.
 
# 19 JBucc @ 05/13/08 11:38 AM
Pathetic. There is NO excuse for not having these small features in that were in the last gen games. "We ran out of time" is complete BS. You've had four freakin years to put it in.

EA GO TO HELL WITH YOUR BS LAZINESS EXCUSES!
 
# 20 mdgoalie37 @ 05/13/08 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16
Seriously, F-you EA. I'm a 32 year old with a wife that likes to play sports games. I don't always have an hour or more to sit around and play a complete game of football. I'd like to be able to save my game in progress when I need to go to dinner with my wife, go out with my wife, or do whatever else I may have to do in my real life. Instead, I'm forced to block out an hour of more of time every time I want to sit down and play one game of football.

Stop being so gosh-damn lazy and make the game right. I'm unwilling to beleive that the PS2 with a freaking MEMORY CARD could do in-game saves with not issues, yet these new, powerful next-gen systems with built in hard drives can't. Your constant desire to push out a throughly rushed game with little to no effort placed on actually making the game better each year is frustrating beyond belief.

Isn't it a sign that most of what people want/request is that you just include the stuff that was actually in the game already? All we want is the game that we played last-gen on the PS2/Xbox with some improved grahics and much better AI. Why is this so difficult for you to understand? Why do you keep doing the opposite of what everyone wants?

Again, screw you. I hope you read this post and realize that you have lost a gamer that has played and owned your game every single year since the first Madden on the Genesis. Oh wait, if you actually read feedback on a forum, you wouldn't "F" your game up so bad. I guess I shouldn't expect you to actually care about a customer.
Great, great post - this is exactly how I feel.
 

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.