Home
News Post

Scott, Greg, Dave, T.J., and Chris over at Who Needs Rules? has posted a round table discussion of the cancellation of  College Hoops 2K9.

"The big buzz around the net today was the fact that 2K Sports has walked away from discussions with the Collegiate Licensing Company and officially canceling College Hoops 2K9."


Member Comments
# 1 tabulaRasa @ 01/15/08 09:48 AM
"Scott: Excellent points guys. EA isn't the bad guy per say, as 2K would do the same thing if financially able to.

Chris: As they did with their MLB series

Scott: Yep, how much did the MLB deal kill future 2K Sports offerings and opportunities? The MLB deal was a bad financial deal for 2K from the start in my opinion.
"

Wow, itīs not the same thing at all since 2k only excluded 3rd party providers (meaning sony and nintendo and even microsoft could still do MLB games)
If anything it was just a way of saying F u to EA.

I think the round table discussion should focus more on how this destroys the evolving of sport games and how much gamers lose on exclusives.
Itīs annoying to see how some seem to turn this into a market move , sure ofcourse itīs good business but it sucks for sport games and gamers.
 
# 2 bluengold34_OS @ 01/15/08 12:41 PM
That was a good round table and it did hit on almost all good points. The thing that scares me is that with no competition, it takes motivated, prideful individual developers to create something special when no one is looming trying to create an equally authentic sports simulation.

Without competition, it's human nature to become complacent and comfortable with doing just enough to get by. If it was one guy creating this MM 08 then maybe we could hope for a special person , who is willing to put it on the line. Since we are relying on a whole team of developers to do this with strong conviction and ambition, I have little faith.
 
# 3 ac11367 @ 01/15/08 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34
If it was one guy creating this MM 08 then maybe we could hope for a special person , who is willing to put it on the line. Since we are relying on a whole team of developers to do this with strong conviction and ambition, I have little faith.
If EA does secure this exclusivity, I have even less faith that MM09 will be a good game. Because the money that should've allocated toward development was instead spent on acquiring the license.
 
# 4 bluengold34_OS @ 01/15/08 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac11367
If EA does secure this exclusivity, I have even less faith that MM09 will be a good game. Because the money that should've allocated toward development was instead spent on acquiring the license.
AC, this is basically what I posted over on "who needs rules" Why would a company allocate time, funds and resources to a product with no competition. Those resources will be used in other areas.......not that I can blame EA, that is how business works, but it sucks for sports gamers.
 
# 5 mjb2124 @ 01/15/08 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabulaRasa
Wow, itīs not the same thing at all since 2k only excluded 3rd party providers (meaning sony and nintendo and even microsoft could still do MLB games)
If anything it was just a way of saying F u to EA.

I think the round table discussion should focus more on how this destroys the evolving of sport games and how much gamers lose on exclusives.
Itīs annoying to see how some seem to turn this into a market move , sure ofcourse itīs good business but it sucks for sport games and gamers.
Those are just semantics. If you own an Xbox 360, you only have 1 MLB game to play. 2K might not have locked the entire MLB video game industry down as EA did with the NFL, but they did for some (and then proceeded to release one of the worst MLB offerings ever produced in MLB2K6). In the end, what both companies did hurt consumers and that's a shame.

I think Scott had a great point though. 2K purchasing the MLB license really hurt them financially. They might have done it to say "FU to EA", but in the end, it was a very poor financial decision on 2K's part. They basically were trying to live the billion dollar lifestyle on a thousand dollar budget. So while they're saying "FU to EA", the rest of the industry might very well be saying "Goodbye to 2K Sports" in the next year.
 
# 6 luv_mist @ 01/15/08 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
Those are just semantics. If you own an Xbox 360, you only have 1 MLB game to play. 2K might not have locked the entire MLB video game industry down as EA did with the NFL, but they did for some (and then proceeded to release one of the worst MLB offerings ever produced in MLB2K6). In the end, what both companies did hurt consumers and that's a shame.

I think Scott had a great point though. 2K purchasing the MLB license really hurt them financially. They might have done it to say "FU to EA", but in the end, it was a very poor financial decision on 2K's part. They basically were trying to live the billion dollar lifestyle on a thousand dollar budget. So while they're saying "FU to EA", the rest of the industry might very well be saying "Goodbye to 2K Sports" in the next year.
It's a good point to a certain extent but it was a move that had to come I would think. If they didn't take the MLB license, what would EA have done the following year? I'm sure they would have snatched that one up also. For some reason, I hear only hate towards 2K and their MLB license, but for some strange reason there is still competition within that category. In the NFL, the only competition there seems to be is the another developer under the same umbrella.

No offense but it seems like EA is once again getting a pass because they have the more loved sports franchise under their stable as opposed to what 2K has. I've constantly heard of the problems that loom in their title which seem to be just as big as the problems in the other title, yet there is only one game analyzed as an example of why the exclusiveness is wrong.

One thing that does need to be pointed out this time around isn't the fact that 2K didn't want to pay or EA wanted to over pay for the license. It's the fact that the NCAA is being greedy with the contracts which might just cause both companies to pass. Even if EA does secure the license, will there even be enough people to want to purchase that franchise just because it's the only one on the shelf when the college season starts? This seems like a lose lose type of situation here. It is the greed that, at the end of the day, causes these companies to make these moves. Even looking at the contract that EA made with the NFL, I don't blame them. It is, however, the duty of the developers to seek out fair competition to improve their games in order to keep the hobby alive. Yeah, it makes sales for a while, but the franchise will slowly diminish. I can seriously see my gaming done on my 360 decreasing ever so slowly because of this.
 
# 7 Blitzburgh @ 01/15/08 02:11 PM
Ok, here is my take on all of exclusivity stuff. First off, I just want to say that I’m a 38 year old sales professional in Pittsburgh and in my free time I still enjoy playing sports games (what can I say). I have played sports games since the first pong game (whatever that was called).
I have been waiting for sports games to finally look and mimic their counter part as much as possible and it’s getting very close. Then this type of stuff happens! I am not a huge basketball fan but these kinds of “business moves” should not be allowed in the gaming industry. Yes, it is a good business move for the company that buys the license but the consumer ultimately gets the shaft. Somehow I think that the gaming sites owe it to the gaming consumers to get together and speak for the 100’s of thousands to millions of consumers who buy sports games.
I loved NFL 2k5 but I still bought Madden too. I played them both because at some point, I always needed something a little different. That has been taken away from us regardless of which game you prefer.
I am a fan of the MLB 2k series but that doesn’t mean I didn’t play MVP every once in a while. That is gone, can’t do it anymore.
Now, college hoops. I just don’t understand why the professional and collegiate big wigs can’t leave well enough alone! Developers/Publishers should not be allowed to buy the rights to any license and the organization should not be allowed to offer their sport up for bid, period! It affects everyone no matter what game you prefer.
Instead of talking about how it is a good business decision we need to only voice our opinions on how it ruins sports gaming and it should not be allowed.
 
# 8 Blitzburgh @ 01/15/08 02:16 PM
"Yeah, it makes sales for a while, but the franchise will slowly diminish. I can seriously see my gaming done on my 360 decreasing ever so slowly because of this."

I couldn't have said that part better myself.
 
# 9 mjb2124 @ 01/15/08 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
It's a good point to a certain extent but it was a move that had to come I would think. If they didn't take the MLB license, what would EA have done the following year? I'm sure they would have snatched that one up also. For some reason, I hear only hate towards 2K and their MLB license, but for some strange reason there is still competition within that category. In the NFL, the only competition there seems to be is the another developer under the same umbrella.
Depends. Is it worth getting the license and then going belly up over it or is it worth not getting the license and probably losing out on the chance to make a licensed game? If they go the 2nd route, they could still make generic/legends games. The first route allows for a professionally license game to be produced, but at what long-term cost to the company? The bottom line is, how long do they want to hang on? Maybe purchasing the MLB license allows them to hang on for 1 extra year or maybe it causes them to fold up show 1 year early? This entire thing hasn't played out yet so we don't know anything for certain, but I don't think 2K is long for this world. They've been financially unstable for a while.

I don't think you're looking deep enough if you don't see all the hate towards EA and their exclusive licenses. It's everywhere...and rightly so. As has been said many times, it was a smart business move to eliminate their competition (assuming they can handle dishing out the money for the licenses...that which none of us know as we haven't seen EA's books), but a terrible move for all consumers.
 
# 10 Tomba @ 01/15/08 02:31 PM
companys cutback from failing product.By failing prouct i mean not selling product. this must be the case of CH 2k8 resulting in there not being a 2k9 now. i personally feel that APF and NHL 2k8 failed in the same regard as CH 2k8 so i'm wondering if they will get the same treatment.

But what i don't understand is the shock or amazement that the tile wouldn't sell that well. it's essentially just a minor upgrade and not really a major overhaul graphically for the series. they promised more graphics to us each year but this years wasn't enough. i;m happy more or less because MAYBE this will show dev's we wnat better product ALL around
 
# 11 ExtremeGamer @ 01/15/08 02:33 PM
To me, EA is doing what 2K wishes they could do, buy up the competition. You don't think if the roles were reversed, 2K wouldn't do the same thing?

I still question whether EA would have went after the MLB license at all, and if 2K doesn't get it, do they have the resources and money now to get the college basketball license. I mean, let's face it, baseball has always been 2K's weakest game. I don't know why you try to make that your flagship when you're a company known for basketball and football games, with hockey sprinkled on top.
 
# 12 ehh @ 01/15/08 02:45 PM
Most of the stuff in there has been said before but I disagree w. the part about CH not having a long-lasting posthumous legacy like NFL2K.

Despite the fact that the NFL is wildly more popular than college basketball, in the small community of OS there are about an equal number of hardcore die-hards who will put in a great amount of work to live on. Plus, and probably most importantly, CH2k8 is a much better game as a whole than NFL2k5 was.
 
# 13 ExtremeGamer @ 01/15/08 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Most of the stuff in there has been said before but I disagree w. the part about CH not having a long-lasting posthumous legacy like NFL2K.

Despite the fact that the NFL is wildly more popular than college basketball, in the small community of OS there are about an equal number of hardcore die-hards who will put in a great amount of work to live on. Plus, and probably most importantly, CH2k8 is a much better game as a whole than NFL2k5 was.
And it very well could. We touched on that at the end of the article that if it's being talked about how ESPN NFL is now, then of course it will live on. It's hard to say now that it will or won't.

For all we know, EA could wow us with March Madness next year. I don't see it happening, but stranger things have happened.
 
# 14 ehh @ 01/15/08 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
For all we know, EA could wow us with March Madness next year. I don't see it happening, but stranger things have happened.
I hope that does happen too, but like you said it probably won't. Updated uniforms, rosters, etc are always welcome but if the core game play still sucks then there's no way former CH fans will touch MM.
 
# 15 ManiacMatt1782 @ 01/15/08 02:56 PM
i guess reality is you can have a sucessful product and still fail miserably, or have a mediocre product and be a huge success. its all a total crapshoot.
 
# 16 Candyman5 @ 01/15/08 02:59 PM
Great now there is only MM. No more NCAA BB for me then.
 
# 17 ExtremeGamer @ 01/15/08 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I hope that does happen too, but like you said it probably won't. Updated uniforms, rosters, etc are always welcome but if the core game play still sucks then there's no way former CH fans will touch MM.
Agreed 100%. If the gameplay isn't sim, then a College Hoops player isn't going to make the switch.

But many people will eventually move over. There's many 2K diehards that buy Madden every year because it's an NFL game. Whether they want to admit it or not, they do.

EA will still get those.

Does that make it better? Not even close.
 
# 18 bluengold34_OS @ 01/15/08 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman5
Great now there is only MM. No more NCAA BB for me then.
I'll keep an open mind...if Ea does step up and include the real schedules, Add as many real stadiums/arenas as possible, and keep improving the gameplay, that would help tremendously. There was a time that EA products were innovative and fresh, here is too hoping they can get back there.
 
# 19 ExtremeGamer @ 01/15/08 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34
I'll keep an open mind...if Ea does step up and include the real schedules, Add as many real stadiums/arenas as possible, and keep improving the gameplay, that would help tremendously. There was a time that EA products were innovative and fresh, here is too hoping they can get back there.
March Madness is probably EA's lowest sports games in on the rung. Where for 2K, College Hoops is probably #2 on the their ladder behind NBA.

Hopefully, and I use that loosely, EA takes this license and gives it proper treatment that it deserves.

If that means a Triple Play to MVP makeover, so be it.

2K got Ben Brinkman, and MLB2K series is on the "brink" (like my word play ) of something good it seems.

Maybe Beluba to EA is the spark to say, "Hey, Live and March Madness deserve the NCAA Football and Madden treatment now".

We'll see.
 
# 20 luv_mist @ 01/15/08 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
To me, EA is doing what 2K wishes they could do, buy up the competition. You don't think if the roles were reversed, 2K wouldn't do the same thing?

I still question whether EA would have went after the MLB license at all, and if 2K doesn't get it, do they have the resources and money now to get the college basketball license. I mean, let's face it, baseball has always been 2K's weakest game. I don't know why you try to make that your flagship when you're a company known for basketball and football games, with hockey sprinkled on top.
Call me naive but I can't see 2K doing that. No offense but the way they acted about the baseball exclusive deal is a prime example of why. They could have shut out everyone like EA did but they decided only to smack the bully who smacked them first. I haven't honestly been a fan of 2k before the Dreamcast because I wasn't into sports all that much. However, since they came on the scene, they've been basically the same type of company, a company that foused on the fans first. That's all I've seen. On the other hand, EA hasn't as much. They've been more about getting the most bang for their buck, even if their buck doesn't travel too far. That's one reason why I couldn't get into their games. It just didn't feel genuine, almost like it was a forced product rather than a product worked on. I guess that's just me.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Most of the stuff in there has been said before but I disagree w. the part about CH not having a long-lasting posthumous legacy like NFL2K.

Despite the fact that the NFL is wildly more popular than college basketball, in the small community of OS there are about an equal number of hardcore die-hards who will put in a great amount of work to live on. Plus, and probably most importantly, CH2k8 is a much better game as a whole than NFL2k5 was.
The thing is that the potential for college basketball fans is so much greater. It could be so much more than NFL could have ever been if it didn't get crapped by the competition. No matter how many people ride the NFL bandwaggon, basketball is still a bigger sport worldwide. They could market so much more and get more sales. I mean, think about all the high school players that have to go to college in order to even make it to pros. The potential of all those fans who watch kids grow up in their neighborhoods and around their blocks.

One thing I do wonder about is the marketing of 2K. Do you guys think that they don't want to give their marketing so much power because it could turn them into an EA type of company? Just a thought.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
March Madness is probably EA's lowest sports games in on the rung. Where for 2K, College Hoops is probably #2 on the their ladder behind NBA.

Hopefully, and I use that loosely, EA takes this license and gives it proper treatment that it deserves.

If that means a Triple Play to MVP makeover, so be it.

2K got Ben Brinkman, and MLB2K series is on the "brink" (like my word play ) of something good it seems.

Maybe Beluba to EA is the spark to say, "Hey, Live and March Madness deserve the NCAA Football and Madden treatment now".

We'll see.
That is something I'll definitely look forward too. I hope that it does make great translation.
 

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.