10:16 PM - October 23, 2007 by Steve_OS
EA PLAYGROUND SHIPS TO RETAILERS TODAY! GET READY FOR PLAY TIME!
Take on Your Friends and Family with EA’s Latest Must-Have Party Game for the Holidays
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – October 23, 2007 – Electronics Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today that EA Playground™, an all-new intellectual property from EA Canada, is shipping to North American retailers today and will be released on November 9, 2007 in Europe. The game, developed specifically for the Wii™ and Nintendo DS™, will be available in the United States at a MSRP of $39.99 and $29.99 respectively. EA Playground captures the energy and magic of your neighborhood playground, and creates an intuitive and laugh-out-loud entertaining gaming experience that will excite kids and the kid inside everyone.
EA Playground is the ultimate party play experience, where bragging rights are at stake as you take on your friends and family in a variety of playground games ranging from the traditional classics to over-the-top fantasy games. Taking full advantage of the intuitive controls from both the Wii and Nintendo DS, the gameplay is customized to feel natural and physically engaging. Whether you are using the Wii Remote to time your toss in Dodgeball or blowing in the Nintendo DS mic to aim at wandering targets in Spitballs, every game is easy to pick-up and brings a new, fresh and exciting twist to playing videogames.
Young, old, male or female, hardcore gamer, casual or first time game player -- EA Playground has something for everyone. In addition to the fun multiplayer mode, you can also play by yourself in a rich single player experience. Explore the world, unlock new locations, uncover stickers, and challenge colorful in-game characters to a variety of playground games.
See below for all the games that will be included in EA Playground.
Featured playground games on the Wii:
· Dodgeball - Take on your opponents in an attempt to knock them out of the game in this fast paced multi round experience. Up to four players can dodge, catch and throw lightning fast balls just like in real life.
· Paper Racers - Throw and navigate your paper airplane through challenging playground courses, collecting power ups and other bonuses along the way in a race to the finish line.
· Kicks - Take on your opponents in this fresh new experience where Soccer meets volleyball and goals are the result of spectacular aerial kicks!
· Dart Shootout - Test your accuracy skills in this exciting game that has your shooting and blocking your way through the playground to the final boss battle.
· Wall Ball - Enjoy this fast paced game of wall ball where the speed of the ball increases with each powerful shot. Strategically choose where you want to hit the ball and watch it rapidly ricochet by your opponent!
· Slot Car Racing - Take on up to three opponents in this speedy slot car racing experience that has you flying through ramps, landing mega jumps and even getting a chance to zap your opponents off course!
· Tetherball - Go head to head against your opponents in this tension mounting experience. Try to wrap the tetherball around the pole before your opponent does.
Activity games for the Wii:
· Freethrows - While exploring the playground world, see how many baskets you can sink in 30 seconds and earn marbles.
· Bug Hunt - During your world exploration if you see a bug, take out your net and give chase. Successfully swat and catch the bug and earn some rewards.
· Dribbling – Pick up a basketball and bounce it in rhythm for a defined number of times before the clock runs out on you! If you’re successful you’ll earn yourself some more marbles.
Featured playground games on the Nintendo DS:
· Dodgeball - Knock all the other kids out of the game (by beaning them with a ball) before they do the same to your team.
· Hoops - Become the master of the basketball court while you try and score the most points.
· Hopscotch - Test your rhythm and timing with this musical game of Hopscotch.
· RC Racers - Race mini cars around an action-packed track, picking up valuable power-ups along the way.
· Bug Hunt - You’re on a mission to collect as many butterflies as you can but watch out for those nasty bees or you’ll get stung!
· Kicks - A free for all Soccer match where the objective is to score more points than your opponent
· Skate & Sketch - Master these wacky tricks by connecting the dots as fast as possible when you’re catching some serious airtime.
· Spitballs - Search the playground for your target and when you’ve found them blow into the microphone to hit them with a spitball!
· Trampoline - The sky’s the limit in this game of balloon popping! Jump as high as you can and pop as many balloons as possible before your opponent
EA Playground joins a portfolio of innovative entertainment in development in EA’s three Canadian Studios, including new intellectual property SKATE from EA Black Box, and Army of Two™ and Boogie™ from EA Montreal.
EA Canada has built a worldwide reputation for quality and innovation in global blockbusters such as FIFA Soccer, NHL®, NBA LIVE and EA SPORTS™ Fight Night. EA Canada also flourishes as EA’s leading development studio for the Wii, Nintendo DS, and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system. In 2006, EA Canada also developed Medal of Honor Heroes™ (PSP), The Sims™ 2 Pets (PSP), POGO™ Island (Nintendo DS), Madden NFL 07 (Wii) and more.
EA Playground is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB with a descriptor for Mild Cartoon Violence in North America and is rated 3+ by PEGI in Europe.