10:15 AM - March 31, 2006 by Steve_OS
MIDWAY SHOOTS AND SCORES AS NBA BALLERS: PHENOM
HITS STORE SHELVES
HITS STORE SHELVES
NBA Superstar or Entertainment Entrepreneur... You Choose!
CHICAGO – March 31, 2006 – Midway Games Inc. (NYSE: MWY), a leading interactive entertainment software publisher and developer, today announced NBA Ballers: Phenom, follow up to the million unit–plus selling NBA Ballers, has shipped for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox® videogame system from Microsoft. Midway also announced that NBA Ballers: Rebound for the PSP™ (PlayStation® Portable) system is scheduled for release on May 2, 2006.
Backed by a multi–million dollar marketing and promotional campaign, NBA Ballers: Phenom sets a new standard for basketball videogames. The highly anticipated sequel in the NBA Ballers franchise takes flight with even more player customization options and all–new game modes that make NBA Ballers: Phenom the most in–depth and innovative basketball game in Midway's rich basketball history.
"NBA Ballers: Phenom is a unique combination of the franchise's highly praised, fast–paced basketball gameplay and the culture of today's professional athlete celebrity, " said Steve Allison, chief marketing officer, Midway. "Midway is continuously looking for ways to improve the player's ability to fully customize and interact with the game environment and to ultimately make decisions throughout the gameplay experience that affect the end result. NBA Ballers: Phenom retains the over the top basketball gameplay that Midway is known for while also offering the player so much more, both on and off the court."
NBA Ballers: Phenom Multi-Million Dollar Marketing Campaign includes:
- National television advertising campaign on multiple mainstream broadcast and cable networks ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, TNT, MTV, MTV2, Comedy Central, BET, and Spike TV
- SpikeTV’s NBA Ballers Week commenced in April with two (2) NBA Ballers: Phenom–focused episodes of "GameHead" and will continue through launch with integrations across the network's popular programming.
- Large presence during 2006 NBA All-Star Weekend included sponsorship of Club NBA music events, product sampling, and giveaways
- Aggressive online campaign to top-tier enthusiast and mainstream consumer sites including NBA.com, Gamespot.com, IGN.com, and UGO.com, among others
- Print advertising campaign across multiple major video game and consumer publications including FHM, VIBE, Game Informer, and Official PlayStation Magazine
- National launch program across all game retailers, where gamers receive a 16 song NBA Ballers: Phenom Soundtrack featuring video game exclusive tracks by artists like Jin, Basement Beats, and Phife from a Tribe Called Quest. (Limited time offer, while supplies last)
- Dedicated web presence at www.nbaballers.com, the official website of NBA Ballers: Phenom.
NBA Ballers: Phenom is a revolutionary sports video game that introduces an entirely new open world and interactive environment, featuring an exciting story mode and even more player customization opportunities than its predecessor. Set in the neighborhoods of Los Angeles, the player controls his own destiny, embarking on a personal quest to become tomorrow’s NBA phenomenon. For the first time ever in the NBA Ballers franchise, the NBA Ballers: Phenom story mode allows the unique opportunity to develop both on and off-the-court adventures. Players can follow the Baller’s dream by getting noticed on the court and drafted into the NBA, as well as become an entrepreneur off-the-court complete with clothing line, record label and movie deal.
About NBA Ballers: Rebound
NBA Ballers: Rebound is the only one–on–one basketball videogame available for the PSP highlighting the rags–to–riches path from an unknown Baller to today's biggest NBA superstar and is based on the original Midway title, NBA Ballers.
Midway Games Inc. (NYSE:MWY), headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, with offices throughout the world, is a leading developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software for major videogame systems and personal computers. More information about Midway and its products can be found at www.midway.com.