2013 Eastern Conference Finals: Miami Heat vs Indiana Pacers - Page 13 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

2013 Eastern Conference Finals: Miami Heat vs Indiana Pacers

This is a discussion on 2013 Eastern Conference Finals: Miami Heat vs Indiana Pacers within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball

Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #121
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: 2013 Eastern Conference Finals: Miami Heat vs Indiana Pacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
lol it's always the refs with the Heat to you guys.. Gotta find someway to discredit them when they've won 45 of 49..
Im not saying that the Heat got those wins because of the refs help, that would be absurd.
But it is equally absurd to deny that the way refs call games have any affect on a series, especially when you have a big team vs. a small ball team.

EDIT: Nevermind. Pretty sure you were referring to the post above yours.

Last edited by cavsfan2; 05-20-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #122
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
Watch Hibbert be in foul trouble all series.
Perhaps, but either way I don't think he'll be as big of an impact as he was against the Knicks and that's one of the reasons I think Indy will struggle.

Hibbert & Mahimi did a great job of going straight up and for the most part the refs made the right calls when Melo drove into the teeth of Indy's D. They certainly get credit for that but part of it goes on Melo and I mentioned this earlier in the ECSF thread.

Melo did a horrible job of protecting the ball, making contact with the defender's chest first to take away their jump, and then finishing around them/creating a better look via contact. You see that sorta stuff a dozen times in every single NBA game these days, from stars and scrubs alike. Instead he didn't protect the ball at all, let the Pacer big get cleanly off his feet and just jumped right into the arms of the principal-of-verticality sound Pacer bigs. I'm not one of the Knick fans that bitches that Melo doesn't get enough calls and this is why. He basically said "**** it, I'm driving to the rim and trying to go through whoever is in my way." It's an awful strategy obviously. Not trying to come with the hyperbole, but seriously that's something you see at the Y with that annoying dude that has no idea how to finish at the rim.

The screenshots suck in quality but in each of these three shots you see Melo make the first contact of the play at the peak of the jump and the contact is up top at the ball/hands/wrist. That's why they weren't called fouls and rightfully so.

Melo never tried to go around, spin, eurostep, draw contact first, drop in a floater, etc. Partially because that's never been his game. He jumped too early and tried to go over or through Indy's bigs (or just made lame duck attempt after lame duck attempt to draw a BS foul).

In short, Miami will be far tougher to deal with when attacking. Wade is a master of using his body to create contact/space/draw fouls. Nifty Eurosteps and spins as well. LeBron is more of a power finisher obviously but he's still more creative and explosive than Melo and generally does a better job of protecting the ball. Not to mention Wade and LeBron are willing passers and will drop in floaters when needed (Wade moreso than LeBron obviously). And of course the fact that they tend to get more calls than anyone in the league.

I'm also interested to see how Miami attacks Hibbert in the PnR. Indy left PG on an island in the ECSF, Hibbert sagged way off against NY and Indy just gave Melo all the 18-footers he wanted (NYK should have ran WAY more Melo/Chandler PnR but that's on Woody). LeBron coming off a high ball screen at full steam without a hedge is a scary thought. But Miami may not have Haslem setting tons of ball screens anyway. I can't remember how this portion of the game was played strategically in last year's series unfortunately.

I guess you either believe Hibbert has arrived as a premier defensive presence in the NBA or you don't. He's certainly a good defender but I think the great match up Indy had vs the Knicks made him look a little better than he really is. Case in point - Mahimi had a handful of the nice "go straight up" defensive plays vs Melo. IMO that is equal parts how Melo attacked and Indy's D as stated above. But that's why I've gotten derided by Indy fans, not giving them any credit. I guess we'll find out and that's the beauty of bball and discussing it! If Hibbert/Mahimi bottle up LeBron/Wade like they did Carmelo and make this a 7-game series I'll give them all the credit in the world.

At least hopefully that level of depth will let Pacer fans know I'm not "blindly" hating or just making **** up. There is a method to my madness.

Last edited by ehh; 05-20-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #123
Banned

OVR: 19
PS Network: WindyCityIndy_Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack

Ehhh maybe, but it depends on the day. Top five team is kinda strong.
Really? We're the best defensive team in the NBA.

HERE'S MY TOP 5

Heat
Spurs
Thunder
Pacers
Clippers/grizzlies (tie)
Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #124
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFreak
Sounds literally exactly like the Mavs in 2011. I'm not calling y'all out on anything, I'm just seeing a similarity that's all.
Hopefully the similarities end for us like it did for y'all. A title.

Last edited by iRepIndiana; 05-20-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #125
Hail To The Victors!

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
PS Network: JerzeyReign Wii Code: *I forget*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Ya'll are worse.

Dirk can do and has done nothing wrong in you guys' eyes and every player that plays for the Mavs in underrated or underappreciated. That's one of the things I've learned about ya'll since I've been on OS.

Surprised this thread is already 11 pages because I thought it would've been like 6 or 7 pages long by gameday LOL.
My goodness I think the 2011 Playoff Threads made me hate a great guy like Dirk for no reason. Reading those - especially the Finals thread - you'd think he could turn water into wine haha
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #126
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepIndiana
Really? We're the best defensive team in the NBA.

HERE'S MY TOP 5

Heat
Spurs
Thunder
Pacers
Clippers/grizzlies (tie)
If we're going off this season, I don't think you can just SAY you're a top five team. Heat, Spurs, Thunder, Grizz, Clippers, Denver (with Gallo), Knicks (possibly) are better squads than the Pacers IMO. Top five in the East? Easily. In the league? Ehh.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #127
Banned

Quote:
If we're going off this season, I don't think you can just SAY you're a top five team. Heat, Spurs, Thunder, Grizz, Clippers, Denver (with Gallo), Knicks (possibly) are better squads than the Pacers IMO. Top five in the East? Easily. In the league? Ehh.
It's ok King, I'm use to the lack of respect towards Indiana.

Say I'm biased or whatever i don't care. This is one of the best teams in the league without a doubt and have a real good chance to shock the world and shut up a lot of neigh sayers. Nothing against you King im just saying the lack of respect is immaculate. People make it out to be like the Bobcats vs the Heat in the ECF.

To Miami.....Lets get ready to rumble because its going to be a dog fight
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #128
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepIndiana
It's ok King, I'm use to the lack of respect towards Indiana.

Say I'm biased or whatever i don't care. This is one of the best teams in the league without a doubt and have a real good chance to shock the world and shut up a lot of neigh sayers. Nothing against you King im just saying the lack of respect is immaculate. People make it out to be like the Bobcats vs the Heat in the ECF.

To Miami.....Lets get ready to rumble because its going to be a dog fight
Spoiler

Y'all hitting the no respect drum hard as hell here man lol. I get where you're coming from, a lot of people saying the Heat are going to win, it is what it is man. I wish it wasn't this way, but this is how it's going to be. They have three of the best players in the world on one team with a bunch of guys who can get hot as result people are going to pick them. All that said, I'm pulling for the Pacers and not disrespecting them in the least, I just don't think they're a top five team in the league. I don't even think they're the best team in the central of course.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #129
Banned

Quote:
Spoiler

Y'all hitting the no respect drum hard as hell here man lol. I get where you're coming from, a lot of people saying the Heat are going to win, it is what it is man. I wish it wasn't this way, but this is how it's going to be. They have three of the best players in the world on one team with a bunch of guys who can get hot as result people are going to pick them. All that said, I'm pulling for the Pacers and not disrespecting them in the least, I just don't think they're a top five team in the league. I don't even think they're the best team in the central of course.
Respect fam!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #130
Paris est magique

13's Arena

OVR: 8
PS Network: leoswxrld

Pacers a top 5 team in the league!?

Last edited by 13; 05-21-2013 at 08:23 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »