Wilt Chamberlain better than Jordan? - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Wilt Chamberlain better than Jordan?

This is a discussion on Wilt Chamberlain better than Jordan? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball

Old 08-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 16
Wilt Chamberlain better than Jordan?

http://hubpages.com/hub/Wilt-Chamber...Michael-Jordan

Sponsors (you can remove in-post ad banners by registering or logging in)
Old 08-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Wilt Chamberlain better than Jordan?

i'll be honest, i haven't read the article yet, but i can tell you that he is wrong. there is no justification for that statement, and i am pessimistic about what i will find in that article.

i will return with my comments later.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Bill Simmons chapter on Chamberlain in BOB rips that article to shreds. Almost every point the author makes in this article is poorly researched in context compared to Simmons' book.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 30

Old School Heads: Vol WTF at the 61-62 Season

Everyone in the league averaged ridiculous numbers back then.

Jordan put up the best stats in the league and won.

Wilt put up the best stats in the league and didn't win (in one year they won 31 games). His first year not leading the league in points was the first year he won.

Lost in all of Wilt's point records is that he also holds 5 of the top 6 including the top four spots for shots in a season and 5 of the top 6 for minutes played in a season.

In comparing Wilt's 1962 season to Jordan's 1988 season (both player's best statistical seasons [arguably Jordan's 89 season was better but whatever]) Wilt played 550 more minutes and took 1161 more shots.

In fact, in 1962 Wilt took 854 more shots than any player in NBA history has taken in a season.

I'm not saying Wilt would get schooled by Kwame Brown today, but any statistical argument for Wilt is heavily, heavily flawed.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Cross comparing eras FTL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Paul George's shot selection > Paul George's THOT selection
Old 08-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 33

Without reading that article, I can say that Wilt dominated that era/season as MJ did more recently .. but MJ was the better player as his game was more efficient, complete and beautifull ... he was the direct/main cause on the Bulls winning records/titles.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Bill Simmons chapter on Chamberlain in BOB rips that article to shreds. Almost every point the author makes in this article is poorly researched in context compared to Simmons' book.

What he said....
Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #8
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
Without reading that article, I can say that Wilt dominated that era/season as MJ did more recently .. but MJ was the better player as his game was more efficient, complete and beautifull ... he was the direct/main cause on the Bulls winning records/titles.
The part in bold is a a ridiculous reach. Chamberlain was a complete basketball player. You can argue that he was selfish, and their are many stories verifying that opinion, but Chamberlain could do everything and anything on a basketball court. He is the Babe Ruth of basketball and really only two players are comparable to him in the history of the NBA (Jordan & Abdul-Jabbar), IMO. People complain that he didn't win enough or didn't put winning over putting up statistics, but Russell almost always played with better teammates. It isn't a coincidence that Wilt played on two of the greatest NBA championships teams ever in Philadelphia and Los Angeles.

I respect Bill Simmons opinion on the NBA, but he's still a life-long Celtics fan. Which leads me to believe that he'd never put a Laker as no. 1 on any list.

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

Last edited by J_Posse; 08-05-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
We Back!

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512
I respect Bill Simmons opinion on the NBA, but he's still a life-long Celtics fan. Which leads me to believe that he'd never put a Laker as no. 1 on any list.
His allegiance to the Celtics didn't stop him from putting Magic in front of Bird in the Pyramid. He ripped into Wilt because Wilt had all the tools and never knew which ones to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly3
These sheep believe anything the media feeds them.

If he really did cry, it's understandably attached to his fervor to fullfill his paternal responsibilities IMO.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
His allegiance to the Celtics didn't stop him from putting Magic in front of Bird in the Pyramid. He ripped into Wilt because Wilt had all the tools and never knew which ones to use.
Yes, because Wilt being the all-time leader in scoring and rebounding during the time of his retirement proves that. Wilt was a dominant individual player, much like LeBron has been the first seven years of his career, but that doesn't always correlate with winning championships. He had to accept a lesser role offensively to win championships, or at least in Los Angeles, which is something LeBron will need to do to win titles too. Unfortunately, he realized this at the tail end of his career and only has two championships because of that. He's still won championships and that's what most matters, IMO.

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

Last edited by J_Posse; 08-05-2010 at 08:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »