Final Four: Tecmo Super Bowl vs. College Hoops 2k8 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Final Four: Tecmo Super Bowl vs. College Hoops 2k8

This is a discussion on Final Four: Tecmo Super Bowl vs. College Hoops 2k8 within the Previous Results forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Best Sports Game Tournament > Previous Results
View Poll Results: Which game is better?
Tecmo Super Bowl 85 44.74%
College Hoops 2k8 105 55.26%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44
PS Network: BlyGilmore
Final Four: Tecmo Super Bowl vs. College Hoops 2k8

Final Four

#2 Tecmo Super Bowl

vs.

#14 College Hoops 2k8

Road to the Final Four

#2 Tecmo Super Bowl has defeated NFL 2k1, NBA Live 95 and MVP Baseball 2005 to reach the Final Four.

#14 College Hoops 2k8 has defeated Championship Manager, NBA 2k8 and Tecmo Bowl to reach the Final Four.

The Argument for Tecmo Super Bowl
By ChrisS
This is an easy sell for me. Tecmo Super Bowl is the epitome of football video gaming for anyone over 18 that experienced it's greatness as a kid. For those of you young folk who never have played the game, I pity you. And for those of you that stopped at just Tecmo Bowl, again, I pity you.

Tecmo Super Bowl was a beefed up version of Tecmo Bowl that just worked. Everything was expanded, with multiple season options to choose from and the the solid core gameplay from Tecmo Bowl basically the same.

You still had the teams, players, etc. that made the first game feel authentic. But, you also had slightly better graphics, some better options as far as season mode, and you also had expanded playbooks. In all reality, Tecmo Super Bowl should be your vote all the way to the end, even over Tecmo Bowl.

The sequel did it best.

The Argument for College Hoops 2k8
By ChrisS
College Hoops 2k8 is simply the best college basketball game period. Coach K's College Basketball was fun, but it could never compare to everything College Hoops 2k8 has done.

College Hoops featured excellent gameplay, an incredible legacy mode and simply fun head to head action. Let's not also discount the fact that I believe the Legacy mode made College Hoops 2k8 what it was. There was nothing more fun at the time than to get some friends and play the tournament. I had countless hours using the UCLA Bruins and their star studded cast and cut down the nets many a times.

This game certainly captured the atmosphere, colors and pagentry that can only be found in college sports.

According to the Community

Tecmo Super Bowl is perhaps the best football game in console history for the time it was created. It was also very important for the overall development of console sports gaming, I would even go as far as to say that without that game internet communities like this may not exist today. The game still has a large following today, which is amazing considering most HS kids were not born when this game was released. (MassNole)

CH is an amazing game. It is a huge challenge every time I pop it in. The depth is unmatch in a sports game. (stewaat)
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited by BlyGilmore; 04-24-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsors (you can remove in-post ad banners by registering or logging in)
Old 04-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 35
Re: Final Four: Tecmo Super Bowl vs. College Hoops 2k8

I played Tecmo Super Bowl well into college (8 years after its release). While it's a great game (though not better than NBA 2k8 IMO), I'm guessing very few people will be playing CH 2k8 8 years from now.

Now Playing: MVP 05 with the MVP 13 Mod
Old 04-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 62
Send a Message via Google Talk to MassNole
PS Network: BadgerEsquire

Cool I got quoted, I love College Hoops but I stand by what I say. TSB is the most important sports video game in history and still has a cult following in the ROM community today. Now so long as the 2k Share portion of the game stays alive I think CH will thrive, but I am betting TSB will still outlive CH.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
PS Network: Irish437

I don't think that any game will ever surpass the fun I had with Super Tecmo Bowl. The interface and stat tracking were years ahead of its time. The thing about Tecmo Bowl was that the Stars were Stars and the numbers the stars could put up were ridiculous. You weren't going for realistic stats with Super Tecmo Bowl you were going for Ridiculous 5,000 yard rushing seasons with Barry Sanders.

Calling the correct play on defense and you totally blew up the play. I still use this term today when the AI completely blows me up on a play in any sports game....Your A$$ got Tecmo Bowled. Its classic.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I don't think that any game will ever surpass the fun I had with Super Tecmo Bowl. The interface and stat tracking were years ahead of its time. The thing about Tecmo Bowl was that the Stars were Stars and the numbers the stars could put up were ridiculous. You weren't going for realistic stats with Super Tecmo Bowl you were going for Ridiculous 5,000 yard rushing seasons with Barry Sanders.

Calling the correct play on defense and you totally blew up the play. I still use this term today when the AI completely blows me up on a play in any sports game....Your A$$ got Tecmo Bowled. Its classic.

So true. I'm sure everyone who has played it has a story similar to "One year I threw the ball every play to see how many TDs I could throw to Jerry Rice"

My buddies & I played it all the time in college while pre-gaming (graduated in 01). Have some incredible memories playing that game.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 62
Send a Message via Google Talk to MassNole
PS Network: BadgerEsquire

I remember one weekend my best friend and I sat down and power played through an entire season, I was the 49ers he was the Chiefs. He had somewhere around 100 sacks with Derrick Thomas (or was he simply LB Chiefs?). I had close to 3000 yards receiving with Jerry Rice and Montana threw for around 70 TDs.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
Rookie

callmegoose's Arena

OVR: 4

Tecmo Super Bowl all the way. The greatest game of all time in my opinion. Without this game it would take Madden 30 more years to be where it's at now.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Closer

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
PS Network: bkrich83

I went TSB. Groundbreaking game imo.

S.O.S. Crew (Enforcer)
"Strategy over Skillz"
Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 10

Tecmo Super Bowl!!! I literally have dreams of playing an updated graphics engine of this game today. Leave the same exact gameplay with updated graphics, cinema screens, and online play and I'm there like a fatboy at a buffet! Seriously I dream about this game.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37
Cool Re: Final Four: Tecmo Super Bowl vs. College Hoops 2k8

Thats the 'greatest football game ever'?

Without a doubt CHoops 2K8.

Last edited by yamabushi; 04-24-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: fix link

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Best Sports Game Tournament > Previous Results »