NCAA 2014 FOUR Team Playoff Guide, Plus more Modding - Page 34 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

NCAA 2014 FOUR Team Playoff Guide, Plus more Modding

This is a discussion on NCAA 2014 FOUR Team Playoff Guide, Plus more Modding within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football

Old 02-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #331
Rookie

Yengator's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NCAA 2014 FOUR Team Playoff Guide, Plus more Modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I can verify that this works as I've done it twice now. The 2nd time I was in the playoffs, lost in the 1st round, and the stats/records for all 6 teams were correct (4 playoff teams and the 2 teams that were in a BCS bowl and got moved to the Cotton Bowl instead; I use the Cotton Bowl instead of Chik Fil A).

I'm seriously debating whether I should create an 8 team playoff. The main drawback is that 2 teams could play 16 games and 2 other teams could play 15 games which would make it a lot easier to break school and NCAA stats records.

If I go with an 8 team playoff I'd have the CCG winner of my 5 "BCS" conferences (ACC, B1G, Big XII, Pac12, SEC) get automatic bids and then go with 3 at larges. I don't know exactly which bowls I'd use, but the format would be something like this:
(1)#8 @ #1 in Cotton
(2)#7 @ #2 in Capital One
(3)#6 @ #3 in Orange
(4)#5 @ #4 in Fiesta
(5)Winner(1) v. Winner(4) in Rose
(6)Winner(2) v. Winner(3) in Sugar
Winner(5) v. Winner(6) in BCSNCG

I haven't tested this yet, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work using the method above.
Great, glad you got it to work as well. I am also planning to go to 8 teams in the near future. I think my plan will be...

- Eight teams in the playoffs will be 5 major conference champions, top rated mid-major champ, two at large (similar to older BCS lineup). I'll seed the teams myself, based on the teams' resumes and avoiding rematches.
- Use 4 of the earlier bowls as the first round (maybe Poinsettia, Russell Athletic, Little Caesars and Heart of Dallas) in order to have four logical regional sites. Assign four top seeded teams the locations based on ease of geography, not that it really matters in the game.
- Quarterfinals will be played in two of the BCS bowls on a rotating basis. The other two BCS bowls would be the other four mid-major champions playing each other (not part of playoff). A total of 8 teams will end up losing bowl bids in my system, so I figure that's how I'll make it up to the mid-majors that will get screwed.
- BCS championship would serve as finals (obviously).

Last edited by Yengator; 02-10-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #332
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yengator
Great, glad you got it to work as well. I am also planning to go to 8 teams in the near future. I think my plan will be...

- Eight teams in the playoffs will be 5 major conference champions, top rated mid-major champ, two at large (similar to older BCS lineup). I'll seed the teams myself, based on the teams' resumes and avoiding rematches.
- Use 4 of the earlier bowls as the first round (maybe Poinsettia, Russell Athletic, Little Caesars and Heart of Dallas) in order to have four logical regional sites. Assign four top seeded teams the locations based on ease of geography, not that it really matters in the game.
- Quarterfinals will be played in two of the BCS bowls on a rotating basis. The other two BCS bowls would be the other four mid-major champions playing each other (not part of playoff). A total of 8 teams will end up losing bowl bids in my system, so I figure that's how I'll make it up to the mid-majors that will get screwed.
- BCS championship would serve as finals (obviously).
The more I thought about an 8 team playoff the more I knew I wanted to do it. I'm in week 12 of 2030 so I decided to experiment to make sure it would work. It did so I'm gonna use it for this year.

I took my 2029 save at the beginning of bowl season and used that to experiment with. I ended up trying the setup you laid out except I'll just use the BCS rankings to determine the at larges (I'll use 1 guaranteed mid major like you too). I love how the CCGs (I have a CCG for all conferences except the Sun Belt) have a ton more emphasis with this setup. In my test, #7 and #8 didn't make the playoffs because they didn't win the conference and weren't high enough for an at large (#9 FIU got the mid major's bid and #10 Navy won the ACC over #7 PSU and #8 Auburn).

I ended up with this setup:
QUARTERS:
East Regional Playoff: (8)Navy @ (1)Rutgers - Navy won 31-17
West Regional Playoff: (5)Baylor @ (4)Utah - Baylor won 35-16
South Regional Playoff: (7)FIU @ (2)Florida - Florida won 31-21
Midwest Regional Playoff: (6)Syracuse @ (3)Mich - Mich won 54-20

SEMIS:
Rose: (8) Navy @ (5) Baylor - Baylor won 24-21
Orange: (3) Michigan @ (2) Florida - Michigan won 35-21

FINALS:
BCSNCG: (5) Baylor @ (3) Michigan

In these 2 pics you can see that Michigan played in 3 "bowl" games (I renamed the 1st rounders to Regional Playoff).
You can also see that Baylor played 16 games (they played in a CCG and 3 playoff games).
Spoiler

In this one you can see that the stats were correct because 3950 yds / 246.8 YPG = 16 games
Spoiler

I'm definitely gonna go with an 8 team playoff from here on out, starting with my current season. It makes the postseason waaaaay more exciting.

The only thing I have left to do is to decide my bowl tie ins to make replacing teams the least painful. I'm considering 2 main approaches:
1. Assign 5 BCS conference champs to the regional games and assign 4 crappy teams to the 2 BCS bowls that'll be the semifinals for this year. This way I'll only have to move 3 teams from the quarterfinals (to make room for the at larges) and 4 teams that'll lose their bowl games will already be in the semifinals, which'll have to be moved anyway. I could also try assigning 2 other crappy teams to the BCSNCG, but I'm not sure if that'll work.

2. Keep the 5 BCS champs in the BCS bowls and assigning the crappy bids to the quarterfinal bowls. If I did this I'd have to swap out every team for the quarterfinals, but the teams I'd be swapping would already be teams that I'd probably want to lose their bids.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 02-12-2014, 12:49 AM   #333
Rookie

Read the entire thread, and lets just say my heart is racing. Whether or not I do anything with it, thank you to the guys who put this together and makes it possible. Truly going above and beyond, and instead of being selfish you shared it with everyone here.

Here's a thought, and I'm not sure it'd work.

To allow the records and statistics to be impacted, as jello and Yengator have said, are you playing/simulating the bowls/playoffs -> saving the file again, editing the matchups again -> then playing/simulating the bowls/playoffs(finals?) So basically looking at the program, having hypothetically Florida in the line-up for multiple games? ****, after reading that I may have confused myself even, hopefully it made some sort of sense.

What I'd considered, and although it'd take some work, is a 32-team playoff. Essentially using 33 bowls, including the NCG, to determine winners. 16 bowl first round, then 8, then 4, then 2, then NCG. Do you think this is possible?

Also, in your setup where the National Champion may have 16 games played total, do injuries carry over for you from game to game? Say Alabama in the first round wins, but loses their star QB, would said QB be out for the final as well?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:31 AM   #334
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by martywebb
To allow the records and statistics to be impacted, as jello and Yengator have said, are you playing/simulating the bowls/playoffs -> saving the file again, editing the matchups again -> then playing/simulating the bowls/playoffs(finals?) So basically looking at the program, having hypothetically Florida in the line-up for multiple games? ****, after reading that I may have confused myself even, hopefully it made some sort of sense.
Yes, you have to supersim/play the games in order for them to stick. I'm pretty sure if you choose to "sim the game" nothing happens (if it's a game that you edited).
You save it at the end of every round, mod it to do the next round games and bring it back to the console.
When it's all said and done (once you've modded it one last time after advancing the "the end of bowl season"), yes you can see all of the bowls when looking at the team schedules.

Quote:
What I'd considered, and although it'd take some work, is a 32-team playoff. Essentially using 33 bowls, including the NCG, to determine winners. 16 bowl first round, then 8, then 4, then 2, then NCG. Do you think this is possible?
Here's what I responded to this question on TSO:
Spoiler

Quote:
Also, in your setup where the National Champion may have 16 games played total, do injuries carry over for you from game to game? Say Alabama in the first round wins, but loses their star QB, would said QB be out for the final as well?
I don't know. That's the sort of thing that I think is updated when you advance, but since there is no advance between any of the playoff rounds I'd guess that the injuries would not show up for the next round.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 02-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #335
Make Us Dream!

gerg1234's Arena

OVR: 15

Is it possible to mod coaches with this?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
San Francisco Giants
Chicago Blackhawks
MLS: Portland Timbers
EPL: Liverpool FC
Old 02-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #336
Rookie

scdb12's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketScout
Have you gotten this to work when a human team is involved with the playoffs? That was the snag we were hitting before.
I've gotten it to work for my user team. I used the same method as stated above. Also I decided to do a 8 game playoff and it also worked.

My seeds were: 1.Auburn(SEC) 2.Tulane(Sunbelt Champ) 3.Stanford(Pac 12) 4.Maryland(Big) 5.FSU(ACC Champ) 6.VT(at-large)7.TXA&M(at-large) 8.Toledo(MAC Champ, highest mid-major)

Kansas was the BIG 12 champ and ranked #24 (Big 12 is the 9 best conference in 2036) so they did not get the bid

The Sunbelt conference is rated the second best. (TX, OU, OkST, LSU, OLE Miss, USCar, and FL are all in the SUnbelt.

MW Regional(NM bowl) 4 UMD vs 5 FSU (UMD wins 45-29)
East Regional(Beef O brady Bowl) 1 AU vs 8 Toledo (Toledo wins 27-23)
South Regional (NO bowl) 2 Tul vs 7 TXAM (I had a comeback victory scored two touchdowns in the last 1:20 secs to win)
West Regional (Point bowl) 3 Stan vs 6 VT (Stanford wins 41-13)

Semi-final #1 (Chick bowl) 3 Stan vs 4UMD (UMD wins 39-34)
Semi-final #2 (Cotton bowl) 2Tul vs 8Tol (Another comback victory for me as I was down 31-14 in the third quarter)

National Championship 4UMD vs 2Tul (Miami,FL) (I scored a Touchdown in the last 27 sec of the game. Won 41-34

1. Tulane 14-2 2.UMD 13-3

All the stats saved.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #337
Rookie

Yengator's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerg1234
Is it possible to mod coaches with this?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Yes, I believe the tabs at the far right (using PocketScout's config file) contain the coach data.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #338
Rookie

Arrowhead29's Arena

OVR: 7

I asked this in the other thread but haven't received an answer, so I figured I'd try my luck in here.

I'm in the process of inputting the actual scores for every game from the 2013 season. However, my user-controlled team (Kansas) does not show up in the Unknowns/SGIN tab. Anybody know how to input the scores for a user-controlled team?

I'm assuming this is because there isn't an "ESPN Update" created for user-controlled teams, so it doesn't have a predetermined score. I'm going to try to advance to the next week and use the editor to go back and edit the score from the previous week. Hopefully that will work and it'll reflect the right records.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #339
Rookie

scdb12's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead29
I asked this in the other thread but haven't received an answer, so I figured I'd try my luck in here.

I'm in the process of inputting the actual scores for every game from the 2013 season. However, my user-controlled team (Kansas) does not show up in the Unknowns/SGIN tab. Anybody know how to input the scores for a user-controlled team?

I'm assuming this is because there isn't an "ESPN Update" created for user-controlled teams, so it doesn't have a predetermined score. I'm going to try to advance to the next week and use the editor to go back and edit the score from the previous week. Hopefully that will work and it'll reflect the right records.
Try inputting the scores in the Organization(schedule) file the same place you go to edit bowl teams.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #340
Rookie

Arrowhead29's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdb12
Try inputting the scores in the Organization(schedule) file the same place you go to edit bowl teams.

Thanks, but that doesn't work for any of the games. The only way I know of to edit scores so they sim correctly is using the EA DB Editor and using the Unknowns/SGIN tab, but that tab doesn't show any user-controlled teams.

I did find a workaround, though. I enter all the correct scores for all non-user-controlled games in Unknowns/SGIN. Then I super-sim my user-controlled team's game, making sure that they either win or lose in order to match the real result but without worrying about the score. Then I advance the week and go to the Schedule Data/Schedules tab in the EA DB Editor and I input the correct score for my user-controlled game. Using the Schedules tab, you can change the scores of games from previous weeks, but you cannot change the W/L result.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »