Recruiting Tips (NCAA 14) - Page 28 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Recruiting Tips (NCAA 14)

This is a discussion on Recruiting Tips (NCAA 14) within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football

Old 07-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #217
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Recruiting Tips (NCAA 14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolson88
But you also have to be careful. If a larger school has a visit before you do, there is a chance the recruit will sign with them the week of their visit and you will lose out completely.

I absolutely love the new recruiting system. Especially when you are at a smaller school, you have to be willing to cut bait on a prospect a lot sooner and go to the well for your next in line candidate.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I like it too. It's both procedurally "simpler" and conceptually "more complex". After Week 1 and setting your point distributions, there can be very little to do from week-to-week, other than managing visits and shifting some points around. I agree that you have to "cut bait" early, but the new system might cut the other way too, because it's actually a LOT more feasible to catch up from a big deficit using a good visit.

In some ways, this point system harkens back to how it used to be circa NCAA 2003. You had basically 4 pitches you could make (Coach Visit, Assistant Visit, etc.), and the "cost" of that would be more if it was a longer distance recruit.

I guess one thing that's either confusing or frustrating is that the points give you the impression that you're applying the same 500 points to a prospect whether you're Alabama or Old Dominion. Only the bonus points seem to directly favor schools that have distinct advantages in reputation, location, etc. And it seems like only the three factors named as being important to that recruit can generate a bonus (plus "Pipeline state"). The "impact" of those points for a good school versus a bad one seems to be going on under the hood somewhere.

There have been other college-based games (College Hoops 2k, IIRC) that use the point system itself as the weighing method between schools. For example, Michigan may have 7,000 points per week, but Eastern Michigan will have only 4,000 (or could apply less points to a player per week, etc.).
Old 07-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #218
MVP

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

If I have a big lead on the recruit, I will schedule the visit early and try to lock the other schools out. If I am behind I will do the same thing to try and prevent being locked out. If its a really close race, I will try to schedule late but I usually just pick my latest rivalry game since that gives bonus points anyway.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #219
Rookie

OVR: 0

has anyone managed to successfully sign someone in the offseason? how
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #220
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogeta110
has anyone managed to successfully sign someone in the offseason? how
What I have found so far is that you have to have some serious recruiting skills to land them. If you are a low level coach you won't get many, if any. You have to have the closer skill upgraded a lot to land guys.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #221
Rookie

OVR: 0

-_- sucks.

give a guy max points over nearly an entire season, then 10K points isn't enough to sign him because you don't have a coaching power-up

reminds me of that 'weapons' system they had in madden that was horrible
Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #222
MVP

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcboiler87
What I have found so far is that you have to have some serious recruiting skills to land them. If you are a low level coach you won't get many, if any. You have to have the closer skill upgraded a lot to land guys.
The closer doesn't work for the offseason. The only skill that effects offseason points is Letter of Intent, which increases the amount of points you get to spend.

Its very hard to land recruits because the CPU is so unpredictable. I have lost recruits that I had 3000 point leads on, because I didn't give them any points and I guess the CPU went all in on them. I have also had some guys with big leads I will give thousands of points and I still wont get them. What I do, and I know its kinda cheap, but I assign the points, simulate to the next week and see who I recruited or lost out on. I then decide if I am satisfied or not. If not, I reload my dynasty, make adjustments, and try 1 more time, and take the results no matter what. I find it to be fair because offseason recruiting is like a guessing game this year. You have to guess how much the CPU will put into each player. I don't want my team to be screwed over based on a guessing game, whether it may be realistic or not.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #223
Rookie

OVR: 1

Recruiting has been easy. I created a coach and took over Colorado. I put all my points into the recruiting tree, had a 9-5 record in my first year, and had the 3rd best recruiting class. Notables were a 5 star 80 overall athelete (81 wr), 4 star 80 overall WR, 4 star 79 overall OLB, 4 star 78 OLB, 4 star 78 SS, 4 star 77 SS.

In the offseason I had 11,500 points and used them all on three players, 5 star 80 overall athlete was one of them and landed them all.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #224
Pro

patsfan1993's Arena

OVR: 8

One thing I have started doing is "churning the bottom of the list". It's kind of the NFL idea of constantly shuffling the bottom of the roster. I fill my 35 guys in the preseason. Pick the top 9 or 10 players I need and go all in on them. Each week I go through the players I'm not actively going after and anyone I'm not pursuing I discard players with offers or bonuses bigger than mine and replace with players in pipelines interested or not. I've filled 25 man classes for 1 star teams this way since you need bodies early on

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »