Roster size - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Roster size

This is a discussion on Roster size within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football

Old 05-18-2003, 10:10 PM   #1
Rookie

Razorbacker's Arena

OVR: 4
Roster size

I've seen a lot of people here saying that the current roster size of 55 is fine and they wonder why we think it's a big deal to expand this number. No one has ever provided them an answer... well here it is:

It's for realism. Some of those same folks berating us for being upset at the 55 limit, then get upset because they can't control the sock height or tape color on their players.

We all want a realistic game and IMO a 55 roster limit detracts greatly from realism. I play entirely in dynasty mode and love to recruit and build a team.

That said, I don't think I'd want an 85-man roster. That might be too much to handle. I think just a 5 man increase to 60 might give us all the depth we need and 65 total might be ideal.

Sponsors (you can remove in-post ad banners by registering or logging in)
Old 05-18-2003, 10:45 PM   #2
Pro

Greenevol's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Roster size

I disagree. I too like the dynasty mode almost as much as the entire game (Ive been playing nothing but The College Years in anticipation of NCAA 2004's dynasty mode).

But 55 is the perfect size. When you actually play the game in season mode, you dont use anywhere near 55 players. If you win the national title, youd have 3 and 4 star players who sit the bench for thier 4 years. There's just no need for the extra 30 players.

If EA were somehow able to find ways to make the extra players more interesting I could see it. Maybe if they added things like academics, NCAA infractions, players transferring for various reasons, more injuries, or ways that those extra 30 players might come into play, 85 players might actually mean something.

As it is now, its just warm bodies riding the pine. For now, there is absolutely no reason to put that 4th string LB in the game.

And it also makes recruiting much more interesting, you cant just go and sweep up 25 players. Youve got 15, 20 at very most, recruits to bring in per class, you better not miss on a prime target.

I wouldnt mind larger rosters, but its pretty low on the list for me.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:31 AM   #3
MVP

hogfan's Arena

OVR: 11

Well, I understand that there are limitations based on what the PS2 memory card can hold, but it is disappointing none the less.

I disagree, about the remainder of the roster being bench warmers. I play with fatigue and injuries. When injuries occur, you'd like to be able to bring in the best possible player without having to sacrifice a redshirt. Sometimes you have to cut that player because you feel like the incoming freshman at that position will be better in a couple of years.

When that is case, an 85 man roster is invaluable.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:40 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

I cant drive 55.

But, I could live with it if we could edit classification and position.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:00 AM   #5
We are...

psufan's Arena

OVR: 12

I thought they said they made it 85...must have been lying or it was fake
Old 05-19-2003, 09:39 AM   #6
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

I think that 85 is overkill. All that depth would be nice, but you'd probably have guys who are rated 90 riding the pine.

You can get decent depth with 55, but I think 65 would be just about perfect. That would be enough for 2 extra DB's, 2 LB's, 2 DL, 2 OL, another QB and another RB. That would be plenty IMHO.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:37 AM   #7
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

if redshirts don't count against the roster size I think it'd be ok as well...
Old 05-19-2003, 11:13 AM   #8
Rookie

terpinheelland's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

mgoblue said:

I agree...let me redshirt my players just before having to make the cut and I won't have a problem at all. It's not a big deal but would definetly enhance the game.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:43 PM   #9
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

terpinheelland said:
Quote:

mgoblue said:

I agree...let me redshirt my players just before having to make the cut and I won't have a problem at all. It's not a big deal but would definetly enhance the game.

That's not really the issue. Even if you could do that, you have to store all those players somewhere. You're not saving any space on a memory card by doing that, which is the whole reason roster sizes are still stuck at 55.

Maybe Sony will be able to get their hard drive out by the time the '05 games roll around so this won't even be an issue next year. I'd hate to see the Sony HD be the same debacle that was the N64 DD.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:30 PM   #10
Rookie

Gamecocks2k3's Arena

OVR: 1

Plus if you Redshirt before you cut players, there is still one problem, you can just play them in a game and have their RS taken off, therefore having an expanded roster.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »