Gamestop says July 4th - Page 3 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Gamestop says July 4th

This is a discussion on Gamestop says July 4th within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football

Old 06-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #21
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Gamestop says July 4th

We'd have a "Gone Gold" annoucement by now if it was going to be shipped on 7/4.

Sorry, Guys.

Check out my BLOG - Remodeling Clay

Follow me on Twitter: @RemodelingClay
Sponsors (you can remove in-post ad banners by registering or logging in)
Old 06-21-2006, 09:10 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Is Gamestop even open on July 4th?

It is a holiday in America afterall and most businesses are off that day. Even if it did come out on the 4th (which I don't believe) it doesn't leave anytime to play. Too much family stuff on the 4th.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:12 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_OS
We'd have a "Gone Gold" annoucement by now if it was going to be shipped on 7/4.

Sorry, Guys.
As sure as I am that the game is NOT coming out 7/4, I'm also sure it most definitely has gone gold. Having worked for EA SPORTS, they don't go from gold to on store shelves in anything less than 5 weeks.

It's in manufacturing right now.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:15 AM   #24
Rookie

longhorn35's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo
Is Gamestop even open on July 4th?

It is a holiday in America afterall and most businesses are off that day. Even if it did come out on the 4th (which I don't believe) it doesn't leave anytime to play. Too much family stuff on the 4th.
the 4th of July is one of the largest retail days of the year. Companies will run "4th of July" sales for a month for it...

Banks are barely even closed on the 4th any more... They are only closed because the Federal Reserve is closed...
Old 06-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #25
#TeamBadDecisions

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

As sweet as it would be, this can't be true.

I'd still sit on the 18th being the day.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #26
Rookie

Jeh64's Arena

OVR: 2

When I went to preorder at ebgames a week or two ago they had a release list sitting on the counter for the public and it said that NCAA was coming out on the 11th, so who knows when its actually going to come out??
Old 06-21-2006, 09:38 AM   #27
Remember the..

greenegt's Arena

OVR: 16

*Sigh* I remember the pain of last year, as people were happily playing copies early, while I sat NCAA-less until the street date. I expect more of the same, this year.

Go Giants!
Go Knicks!
Go Mets!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:52 AM   #28
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn35
the 4th of July is one of the largest retail days of the year. Companies will run "4th of July" sales for a month for it...

Banks are barely even closed on the 4th any more... They are only closed because the Federal Reserve is closed...
I never knew that.

I guess I'm too busy partying with family/friends to even consider going to the store or any other place on the 4th.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #29
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12

It's pretty simple really. The game is due to ship to Gamestop stores on 7/4/06. Regardless of whether there is a "Gone Gold" announcement, this is the date that is now showing up in Gamestop's computer. The date has changed twice in the last two weeks. First, the ship date was 7/18/06 like we had all been told. Then, the "ship date" changed to 7/11/06, but the street date was still 7/18/06. Keep in mind ship dates are rarely different than street dates, but in this case they are.

Most recently, the ship date changed again to 7/04/06, but again the street date has not changed.

As someone that knows someone that is "in the know", this means that apparently EA is planning to tempt retailers again this year by shipping the game a full two weeks early to stores.

Oh, and BTW, the ship date for Madden has been moved up to 8/15/06 as well.

Question it all you want, but as of right now 7/04/06 is the ship date for NCAA 07. Will some retailers sell it early? Absolutely. Will Gamestop/EB sell it early? Probably not as they are the only retailers that really care about honoring street dates. Guys lose their jobs over stuff like this, but in the Wal Mart/Best Buy world, no one really cares. My guess is someone here will report having the game around 7/8/06, which is around the same time the community leaders program will be getting the game as well. Makes sense to me.

The bigger question is why does EA do this year after year? Why make the game available to mass retailers then tell them not to sell it? Why doesn't EA just sit on the game until 7/18/06?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 1

Badgun - maybe, depending on the whims of EA execs, they'd like the flexibility to report the profit/revenue as a late 2nd quarter entry or early 3rd quarter entry. That sort of flexibility can skew any one quarter to look better than previously targeted and buoy a stock price (or at the very least, prevent a big drop).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »