Possible MAJOR find pertaining to AI attacking the basket... - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Possible MAJOR find pertaining to AI attacking the basket...

This is a discussion on Possible MAJOR find pertaining to AI attacking the basket... within the NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders

Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19
Possible MAJOR find pertaining to AI attacking the basket...

As we all know, the tendency of the AI to attack to the basket every trip down the court has been possibly the biggest gripe with this year's gameplay. Many people, including well-respected slider and roster makers, have labeled this tendency as a "game issue" that cannot be corrected by sliders alone.

Well, for the last few hours I have been testing my upcoming slider set, and what I've found might just "fix" this game.

The first thing I found is that, as many of you have already realized, the Game Slider "Tendencies" are EXTREMELY touchy, and changing just one of these settings can have an enormous impact on AI.

For example, I set the "Post Shots" tendency to 75, and while examining the gameplay I noticed that the AI was taking TOO MANY post shots. The play by the forwards and centers was spot-on, but I was noticing far too many guards opting to take shots from the high-post instead of trying to penetrate or create space. That's right, the gameplay had taken a complete 180; players were almost refusing to attack the basket, and were settling for way too many shots from the post!

So, to remedy this, I decided to turn the "Post Shots" tendency down to 70. I played a couple games with this setting, and in every game the AI had reverted to always attacking the basket and ignoring the PF and C. No other sliders had been changed, so just the simple act of lowering the Post Shots tendency by a few clicks was enough for the game to once-again ignore the post all together.

Now, this leads me to my second observation: The "Offensive Awareness" slider has a direct impact on the AI's offensive tendencies. I reverted my tendencies back to where the AI was attacking almost exclusively out of the post while setting Offensive Awareness to 75, and the gameplay was solid. The bigs were being utilized, and the AI was not attacking the basket unless there was a clear opening.

However, when I set the Offensive Awareness to 100 (while keeping the exact same tendencies as before), the AI was once again ignoring the post, and had again reverted to always attacking the basket.

To summarize:

1) All AI Tendency sliders are inter-related, and any small increase or decrease to any of these sliders can have a drastic effect on the rest.

2) The AI "Offensive Awareness" attribute slider has a direct influence on the AI's tendency to attack the basket. Slider makers, if you have Offensive Awareness set to 100 and are noticing that the AI attacks the basket too often, try lowering the slider until you see the proper results.

3) With my findings, I have not only alleviated the tendency to attack the basket, but I have also made the post game prominent in the AI's offense.

4) While I still have more testing and fine-tuning to do, I can say with intermediate confidence that the "sweet spot" for AI sliders (at least on All-Star difficulty) is Offensive Awareness set to ~75, Post Shots set to ~75, and Look For Post Players set to 100.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also have "Run Plays" set to 0 in all Coaching Profiles.

Sponsors (you can remove in-post ad banners by registering or logging in)
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Possible MAJOR find pertaining to AI attacking the basket...

Ill try this one coz setting the run plays at 0 alone doesnt change anything. I hope 2k is aware with this. i dont want to run down my shot clock every damn possession just to achieve realistic stats. but as of now im getting used to it.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaey
Ill try this one coz setting the run plays at 0 alone doesnt change anything. I hope 2k is aware with this. i dont want to run down my shot clock every damn possession just to achieve realistic stats. but as of now im getting used to it.
Another thing that REALLY helps is, if you're in Association mode, setting the Player Speed to 38 (This option is found by pressing Y/Triangle in the team/jersey select screen).

I'm going to put my sliders up soon (I hope), and they have REALLY cut down on the AI attack-the-basket tendency. Still a little fine-tuning to do, but with just these few "discoveries" I've made, it's looking really good!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

i'll try these changes..i'm using mk's sliders..i think once you post your sliders i'll try them too..
Old 10-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
Pro

fearwhatnow's Arena

OVR: 5

Good observations but you still need to mess with the Attack the Basket slider, which you didn't even mention in your post.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
Good observations but you still need to mess with the Attack the Basket slider, which you didn't even mention in your post.
Yes you do, but that's not what my post is about. My post is about the fact that, contrary to popular opinion, you CAN fix the post-game issue with sliders.

This thread was not a "here are my sliders thread". My set won't be ready for another day or two (homework and studying are taking up my time lately).

For a reference, though, I will say that I currently have Attack the Basket set to 25. I haven't tried raising or lowering this value, as I've gotten tremendous results with it.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Rookie

Manning18's Arena

OVR: 3

Eccentric do you think your sliders might play pretty well on cpu vs cpu also? I like to watch games and play more as being the GM of a team, but I really haven't had much luck with sliders in nba2k13 yet. Keep seeing too few assists and turnovers, too many PIP, and either too high or too low fg %

Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

I just changed the post settings & really noticed a difference! Nice feel to the game.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Rookie

free24ride1's Arena

OVR: 1

This is a great finding. I will try it too. Mkharsh33's sliders are exactly set at 75 post shot and 100 look for post players for CPU, but the offensive awareness is at 100.

Last edited by free24ride1; 10-23-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning18
Eccentric do you think your sliders might play pretty well on cpu vs cpu also? I like to watch games and play more as being the GM of a team, but I really haven't had much luck with sliders in nba2k13 yet. Keep seeing too few assists and turnovers, too many PIP, and either too high or too low fg %

Thanks
Yes, what I'm working on right now will be PERFECT for CPU vs. CPU. The only real differences that will need to be made between a HUM vs. CPU and a CPU vs. CPU slider set is to raise the Hustle and defensive sliders.

I'll be sure to put out a set for each, so no worries
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcguy
I just changed the post settings & really noticed a difference! Nice feel to the game.
Glad to hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by free24ride1
This is a great finding. I will try it too. Mkharsh33's sliders are exactly set at 75 post shot and 100 look for post players for CPU, but the offensive awareness is at 100.
Yeah, MK knows what he's doing when it comes to sliders! I wasn't surprised to see the similarities between his set and my own

Let me know how this works on his set. I haven't tested this with the Inside/Close/Attack the Basket sliders as low as MK has them, so I'm not sure how the AI will react with a 75 Offensive Awareness.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders »