Does it matter how long you hold X with classic pitching? - Page 2 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Does it matter how long you hold X with classic pitching?

This is a discussion on Does it matter how long you hold X with classic pitching? within the MLB: The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB: The Show Last Gen

Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Show Ready!

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Does it matter how long you hold X with classic pitching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherCreature
Is the same thing true for pulse pitching?
No, currently there is no built in option to control the amount of effort behind a pitch. Hopefully it gets added in next years installment of the Show.

Sponsors (you can remove in-post ad banners by registering or logging in)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
MVP

chuckm1961's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenglund
Is that just the fluctuation in accuracy from holding the button down too long? Or do you chalk that up to, "Well, sometimes the pitcher just badly misses his spot"?
The second one.

Do NOT get obsessed with the idea that your button presses have 100% control over the pitch location. I am 100% sure they do NOT.

That's the fun of Classic Pitching. Sometimes the guy just gets wild. Pay attention to your Pitch Confidence meters: do not expect to throw low-confidence pitches with accuracy most of the time.

On another but related note, I think one reason people complain about relief pitchers getting bombed is because they are not adjusting their button-press-timing to account for pitching from the stretch, versus a full wind-up.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
DJ
#DallasToDallas

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

How do you determine max effort on the Vita?

Currently Playing:
Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
MLB 14 The Show (Vita/PS3)
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (DSi)
The Last of Us (PS3)
NHL 15 (360)
NBA 2K15 (360)
NCAA 14 (360)
Madden 25 (360)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
How do you determine max effort on the Vita?
Oh I remember I had the same question... since there's no rumble feedback.

I assume it's about one second, from the interface descriptions that I remember reading from all over the place...

I hope that's right.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
DJ
#DallasToDallas

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Oh I remember I had the same question... since there's no rumble feedback.

I assume it's about one second, from the interface descriptions that I remember reading from all over the place...

I hope that's right.
I hope so, since that's pretty much what I've been doing. I've also tried the old-school method of tapping the X button during the windup, but the results haven't been very good.

Currently Playing:
Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
MLB 14 The Show (Vita/PS3)
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (DSi)
The Last of Us (PS3)
NHL 15 (360)
NBA 2K15 (360)
NCAA 14 (360)
Madden 25 (360)
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
No, currently there is no built in option to control the amount of effort behind a pitch. Hopefully it gets added in next years installment of the Show.
So one tap of the button is all that's needed? Good to know. Thanks Nem!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4

I used classic the last few years. This year I have been using the pulse pitching but may go back to classic. It has been a while since I used classic but I did use it for a full 162 game season with the 2010 game. I thought the longer you held the button it did affect the pitch. For example rhp vs a righty. If I am place the ball marker inside on the black and hold down on the button longer the slider didn't break as much (faster picth) and would have a better chance of staying inside. If I tapped the button it was a slighter slower slider allowing it to break more and the pitch would break out towrad the middle of the plate. Even this year with pulse pitching it seems to work the same way. If place the ball marker dead in the middle of the strike zone (when throwing curve) and tap the button the curve has a slow break that breaks high over the plate.......but if I hold the button until almost release it is a sharp break that will break low in the zone or maybe even below the strike zone. So to me it seems it does matter how long you hold the button. Try it and let me know if I am crazy. ha ha
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #18
Pro

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Classic pitching can be a lot of fun and most of the critical points are outlined here...to summarize:

Hold the button down longer and get more effort into the pitch. More effort means:
  1. More velocity - good for fastballs
  2. Less command
  3. Pitchers fatigue faster
  4. Less movement on breaking balls
Some keys:
  1. Change pitch speeds (i.e. vary how long you hold down the button)
  2. Use less effort on breaking pitches....break is key, especially on curveballs
  3. Use less effort on change-ups. You want to maintain velocity separation between your fastball and changeup. If you can get 7 mph or more, you are going to disrupt timing
  4. As with any pitching interface, intentionally throw pitches out of the zone....sometime they will come back in due to control issues, but if you throw everything in the zone, you will get hammered.
  5. Pitch efficiency. Remember who you are using. If you are using a guy that is a groundball pitcher in real life, he probably doesn't strike out a ton (yes, there are exceptions). If a guy is a groundball pitcher, DON'T NIBBLE...throw strikes down in the zone, minimize the amount of effort you put into pitches and keep hitters off-balance by varying speeds and pitch types....make them hit the ball to your fielders. A Jamie Moyer type can do quite well if you can do these things, just like real life.
Finally, you do NOT have total control here. Pitcher ratings, pitcher confidence and pitch confidence are important, but sometimes, your guy doesn't have his best stuff. Learn how to recognize this, apply some of the strategies in number 5 above, and go to your bullpen earlier if needed. You're not going to win every game, but that is real life for you....enjoy the realism and the challenges....baseball is not an easy sport.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 1

I seem to be finding there is a release point for pitchers depending on their delivery that yields accuracy to a significant degree. I went to practice mode and experimented using pitchers with different deliveries and found their "sweet spot" for the most part. I then went into games starting these pitchers and confirmed what I found in practice.

In practice mode I selected a pitch type and waited for the rumble to occur. I tried to pinpoint when that rumble happened. I used Location, Knockout, and that practice mode against the Rangers.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
Rookie

FunkeyMonkey's Arena

OVR: 2

In prior years I used timing, then last year went to analog, and this year moved to pulse and was finding much to easy to hit the strike zone whenever I wanted to. I tried using the classic pitching and love it. Was throwing a game with the Rangers last night and Derrick Holland struck out 6 and walked 4 in 6 innings. Before using classic i was lucky to walk 2 in an entire game, lovethe fact you dont know exactly where its going to go even when you do everything right.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB: The Show Last Gen »