Advanced Stats - Page 8 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Advanced Stats

This is a discussion on Advanced Stats within the MLB: The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB: The Show Last Gen

Old 04-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 2
PS Network: Crinos2
Re: Advanced Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
same here!
hey i have glasses just like that.
but mine have a skull and crossbones on the frame between the eyes. lol

I'd say about 99 % of the baseballers on the Show forum dont know any of these. They just know the basics they see on tv, but baseball is a STAT game, they should really invest time into checking em out.
Really giving people credit there, aren't ya? Just because people don't post or eat, sleep, and drink The Show doesn't mean they aren't up to date on terms, references, and stats in baseball in general. I'm sure more than 1% of people that post in these forums are into fantasy baseball and those stats are more utilized there than you would think as well. But I'm sure by your account 99% of THOSE people don't know what those stats are or mean either. Stop drinking the kool-aid that is your mind. It makes you sound inferior to me and many others.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #72
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

The bottom line is if the advanced stats add enough value to the product overall to promote purchases, they'd implement it. By selling the feature as an add-on SCEA might be testing if enough interests are there for future versions. They have a tough task of trying to seel essentially similar products year after year by incrementally adding values. Not sure advanced stats are one of them...
Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 AM   #73
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21
PS Network: osubeavs721

OK so I personally didnt know 95% of these stats yet I want to learn about them and see how they are used. So what i did was get a definition and an example of what each stat is. Most is compiled from Wikipedia and other baseball sites. So this is for the people who dont really understand the advanced stats this can be a reference. I hope you guys enjoys this
Quote:
Batting

RC - Runs Created
-Runs created is believed to be an accurate measure of an individual's offensive contribution because, when used on whole teams, the formula normally closely approximates how many runs the team actually scores. Even the basic version of runs created usually predicts a team's run total within a 5% margin of error.[3] Other, more advanced versions are even more accurate.

ISO Pwr - isolated power
-Isolated Power or ISO is a sabermetrics baseball statistic which measures a batter's raw power. The formula is Slugging Percentage minus Batting Average, which removes all the singles that are included in SLG%. The final result measures how many extra bases a player averages per at bat.

Sec Avg - secondary average
-more precisely, a sabermetric measurement of hitting performance. It is a complement to batting average, which is a simple ratio of base hits to at bats. Secondary average is a ratio of bases gained from other sources (extra base hits, walks and net bases gained through stolen bases) to at bats. Secondary averages have a higher variance than batting averages.
In modern Major League Baseball, a secondary average higher than about .500 is considered outstanding, and one below .200 is considered very poor. The league average SecA is typically similar to the league average batting average, in the range of .250-280.
AB/HR- s a way to measure how frequently a batter hits a home run. It is determined by dividing the number of at bats by the number of home runs hit. Mark McGwire possesses the MLB record for this statistic with a career ratio of 10.61 at bats per home run and Babe Ruth is second, with 11.76 at bats per home run [1]. Ryan Howard currently holds third place with 12.104 AB/HR [2], and currently holds the record among active players.

BB/PA- Walks per Plate appearance
, higher percentage the better

BB/K- walks per Strikeout
, higher the percentage the better

BOP Base Out %-
is a measure of offensive productivity developed by Barry Codell. It is a ratio of bases gained to outs made, and as such is similar to Tom Boswell's Total Average. BOP preceded Total Average, although the latter has become more widely known, likely due to its greater exposure in Boswell's work.

Bat Runs - batting runs-What Batting Runs does, is take a player’s linear weights value and adjust it for home ballpark and era.* A value of zero is league average; a negative number indicates how many runs below average a player is, while a positive number counts a player’s run contribution over the average player’s.

T Avg - total average-
The definition of the statistic is simple. A player gets a credit for every base he accumulates and a penalty for every out he makes. So a player gets one credit for a single, walk, stolen base or being hit by a pitch; two for a double; three for a triple; and four for a home run. Add all the bases together and divide them by the number of outs the player makes and you have the player's Total Average.

SLOB - slugging times on base
-Anyway, the resulting statistic was called "SLOB" -- Slugging times On Base -- and we found it to be the quickest and simplest way of measuring the overall effectiveness of a hitter. Others did, too. At around the same time a researcher from Philadelphia named Richard Cramer devised an identical formula that he labeled Batter Run Average. I don't know who came up with it first, but I'm happy to credit both Ignatin and Cramer, who were working independently. The point is that whether you call it SLOB or BRA, the stat covers, well, all the bases when it comes to hitting (except stolen bases, though both Cramer and Ignatin agree that stolen bases are both relatively unimportant when it comes to scoring).
Stated simply, the formula works like this: If Barry Bonds' slugging average happened to be a perfectly phenomenal .911, as it was on Tuesday morning, and his on-base average was .485, also as it was on Tuesday morning, you multiply those figures together to get his SLOB, which would be a ridiculous .4418 -- ridiculous because that mark is unsurpassed by any player except Babe Ruth's ever-so-slightly better .4506 in 1920.
But more on that in a moment. Roughly speaking, Bonds' .4418 means that he has "created" .4418 runs per at-bats, or, if you like, 44.18 runs per 100 at-bats. (SLOB, by the way, does a remarkable job of calculating actual team runs, and is slightly less accurate when it comes to individuals, because luck and injuries to hitters in front and in back of a given hitter can unfairly affect run production. With the team's numbers, it pretty much evens out.)
taken from this article http://www.salon.com/news/sports/col...nds/print.html

TPQ - Total power quotient- TPQ = ((HR+TB+RBI)/AB). This statistic is meant to give an overall value to an offensive
player or lineup. Unlike the HEQ-O, the TPQ favors power hitters. Once we find the TPQ we examine how it
compares to the league average and then offer a relativity number

HEQ-O - Hoban effectiveness quotient for offense- Here's a good link for the explanation

PWR SPD - power speed number-is a sabermetrics baseball statistic developed by baseball author and analyst Bill James which combines a player's home run and stolen base numbers into one numbe
Power–speed number is displayed as a number with one digit after the decimal point.
James introduced the power–speed number in his commentary on Bobby Bonds, writing "it is so crafted that a player who does well in both home runs and stolen bases will rate high, and his rating is determined by the balance of the two as well as by the total."[3]
The highest single season power–speed number was turned in 1998 by Alex Rodriguez, then of the Seattle Mariners. Rodriguez hit 42 home runs and stole 46 bases to record a power–speed number of 43.9.[4]
The highest career power–speed number belongs to Barry Bonds. Going into the 2006 season, Bonds had 708 career home runs and 506 career stolen bases for a career power–speed number of 590.19. Rickey Henderson is second on the career list at 490.4, followed by Willie Mays (447.1), Barry's father Bobby Bonds (386.0), and Joe Morgan (385.9)

PWR FACT - power factor-
TB/H, or SLG/BA, is the average number of total bases per hit. As such, it can be thought of as a measure of bang for your buck--given that the batter gets a base hit, how many bases does he get?

PWR AVG- power average
- everything I found, it said ISO PWR and PWR AVG were the same. But in the game the numbers are quite different. So if someone else knows let me know and i can change this.

BSR Basestealing Runs -
also knowing as- stolen base percentage (aka SB%) measures his rate of success in stealing bases. Because stolen bases tend to help a team less than times caught stealing hurt, a player needs to have a high stolen base percentage in order to contribute much value to his team. A commonly used figure is that a player needs to succeed about 2/3 of the time to break even

RF - range factor-
is a baseball statistic developed by Bill James. It is calculated by dividing putouts and assists by number of innings or games played at a given defense position.[1] The statistic is premised on the notion that the total number of outs that a player participates in is more relevant in evaluating his defensive play than the percentage of cleanly handled chances as calculated by the conventional statistic fielding percentage.

Go here for a good sense of what a good RF is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_factor

Pitchers

RF
is the same as above

ERC- Component ERA -is a baseball statistic invented by Bill James. It attempts to forecast a pitcher's earned run average (ERA) from the number of hits and walks allowed rather than the standard formula of average number of earned runs per nine innings. ERC allows one to take a fresh look at a pitcher's performance and gauge if his results are more or less than the sum of its parts.

DIPS- Defense Independent ERA-
created by Voros McCracken, projects what a pitcher's earned run average (ERA) would have been, if not for the effects of defense and luck on the actual games in which he pitched.

PFR Power - Finesse Ratio-
A Pitcher's PFR, or Power Finesse Ratio is defined as "Strikeouts Plus Walks Divided By Innings Pitched."

It is an interesting sabermetric stat because it separates pitchers who rely on their defense from those who don't*
The formula calculates the amount of strikeouts and walks issued by a pitcher, which are two stats entirely under the control of the pitcher, regardless of his defense.
Pitchers with high PFR's have great control over their destiny each time they take the mound because they are issuing a high amount of walks and strikeouts.
Pitcher's with low PFR's are reliant upon their defense because they give up a great amount of hits. These are the pitchers with low K/9 ratios and few walks. They are very hittable.
BIPA or known as BABIP- Balls in play average- is a statistic measuring the percentage of plate appearances ending with a batted ball in play (excluding home runs) for which the batter is credited with a hit . BABIP is commonly used as a red flag in sabermetric analysis, as a consistently high or low BABIP is hard to maintain - much more so for pitchers than hitters. Therefore, BABIP can be used to spot fluky seasons by pitchers, as those whose BABIPs are extremely high can often be expected to improve in the following season, and those pitchers whose BABIPs are extremely low can often be expected to regress in the following season. A normal BABIP is around .300, though the baseline regression varies depending on the quality of the team's defense (e.g. a team with an exceptionally bad defense could be expected to yield a BABIP of .315) as well as the pitching tendencies of the pitcher (for instance, whether they are a groundball or flyball pitcher)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #74
Qb

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
PS Network: King_Oskar

Thanks, beavs. Good to have that info all in one post.

I suspect nomo17k is at least partially correct regarding the advanced stats as DLC. At $1 per download, it's not a big money maker, but it could influence to what extent they are implemented in the future. I wonder how many were purchased...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB: The Show Last Gen »