Ratings Calculator!!! (download enclosed) - Page 6 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Ratings Calculator!!! (download enclosed)

This is a discussion on Ratings Calculator!!! (download enclosed) within the MLB: The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB: The Show Last Gen > MLB: The Show Last Gen Rosters

Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #41
Knows what evil lurks...

JaSnake16's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Ratings Calculator!!! (download enclosed)

For the last 2 seasons I and my collaborators have done Knights MLB re-rated rosters (last year it was V4 and 4.1) so this is something that I am very interested in. In the past Ive utilized the Roster tool which is now unavailable. Im gonna DL this when I get home to see if it fits the need so I can get cracking.

Another year, and here we go again.
Advertisements
Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 21

Some of the fields in the sheet were tough to find and I left blank. Like Runs Created (R Created)...I have no clue where to find this online. I think it may be a Bill James metric but hard to find for me anyway.

Also, some of the fields I did not understand what to do...what the input was looking for...especially on the fielding tab, so I left it blank. Some of the calculations may need review or tweaking, but like I said, a few other guys put the ss together initially so they'd be the ones to have input on the formulas, etc.

C
Old 03-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee2441
I don't have a database on historical players but I made a sheet that has 3 year split stats for ~600 players. I have another sheet that has ZIP projections for 2011.

I changed some of the formulas around.. I took a look at what TripleThreat is working on and I was experimenting with his projection eqn's. But if anyone is interested in the spreadsheet speak up and I'll upload it. I did have to do quite a bit of work to gather the data for the 3 year splits and rearrange it in the spreadsheet. I also have drop down menus programmed in so when you click on a player it'll retrieve stats from the other sheets.

I was just messing around doing all of this. I didn't know how to create the drop down menus or use lookup functions to retrieve data from multiple sheets but after playing around I was able to figure it out.
Well here's the link if anyone is interested...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O2UOT69V

I haven't settled on formulas yet, but I'm uploading this to show what could be done to help roster makers edit ratings and such. You could input data manually or if you have a database in a separate sheet such as the 3 year splits I inputed, you can use menus and lookup functions to automatically input the stats for you.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #44
Rookie

ZouDave's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Some of the fields in the sheet were tough to find and I left blank. Like Runs Created (R Created)...I have no clue where to find this online. I think it may be a Bill James metric but hard to find for me anyway.
Let's take my boy, George Brett for example.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...rettge01.shtml

To get to where you can see his Runs Created, as well as other things you'll enter on this spreadsheet like Bunt Hits, click on the link called More Stats right next to the Standard Batting section.

Once there, scroll down to the Advanced Batting section and you'll see the column for Runs Created.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZouDave
Let's take my boy, George Brett for example.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...rettge01.shtml

To get to where you can see his Runs Created, as well as other things you'll enter on this spreadsheet like Bunt Hits, click on the link called More Stats right next to the Standard Batting section.

Once there, scroll down to the Advanced Batting section and you'll see the column for Runs Created.
Thanks! Man...this is a nightmare to bring together for what will amount to 600-1000 players! Data is there but all over the place. Wish I knew how to develop a macro to read from baseballref and get at all their stats. Will have to research that...

C
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #46
Rookie

ZouDave's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Thanks! Man...this is a nightmare to bring together for what will amount to 600-1000 players! Data is there but all over the place. Wish I knew how to develop a macro to read from baseballref and get at all their stats. Will have to research that...

C
Yeah I can't be much help with that I'm afraid, but I do know that every table you can display on bbref has a link to download the whole thing as a csv. So the answer might not be to have it read directly from bbref, but maybe require the user to do a bit of their own work to get the csv files saved locally.

Like if I wanted to re-create the 1985 Royals (and I do), I could go to http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...-batting.shtml (which is the direct link to the "More Stats" for Batting for that team) and download the CSV files for Team Batting and Team Advanced Batting. That would give you access to every referenced stat in this initial spreadsheet (for batting).

The from http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...fielding.shtml (which is the direct link to the "More Stats" for Fielding for that team) you can download the CSV for Standard Fielding. Unfortunately, some of the advanced fielding stats this spreadsheet calls for will be a little harder to get in downloaded CSV format. You need to be able to see the league's RF/9 (called RF/9 AVE on the sheet, I believe) and the way that is figured isn't static so it's really only available on a player by player basis. You'll also need the Advanced Fielding stats so that you can get a breakdown of Fielding/Catching Errors and Throwing Errors to better determine Fielding and Arm ratings, and instead of those all being in one CSV they're in one CSV per position group so that's like 6 different files (including Pitchers).

So the fielding part isn't perfect by any means, but for the hitting a couple of simple downloads of CSV files and instructions could easily be written to call upon data from another source.

Much of this data would also be available from the Lahman DB, found here in CSV format http://baseball1.com/files/database/lahman58-csv.zip. Unfortunately, not all of the splits are available in that so the sheet would have to be reworked to incorporate the Lahman DB.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 4

"Pitcher ratings you can still get from Bahnzo's old Roster Tools program which is still on here"

Could someone please explain how you do this. I downloaded the rostertools 2010 and can't figure out how pitcher ratings still work.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #48
Kinsler=Pop Up Queen

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:

Also, some of the fields I did not understand what to do...what the input was looking for...especially on the fielding tab, so I left it blank. Some of the calculations may need review or tweaking, but like I said, a few other guys put the ss together initially so they'd be the ones to have input on the formulas, etc.

C
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runs_cr...c_runs_created

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB: The Show Last Gen > MLB: The Show Last Gen Rosters »