CPU vs. CPU in offline franchise mode? (Madden NFL 25) - Page 5 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

CPU vs. CPU in offline franchise mode? (Madden NFL 25)

This is a discussion on CPU vs. CPU in offline franchise mode? (Madden NFL 25) within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen

Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #33
Banned

BradyFan12's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: CPU vs. CPU in offline franchise mode? (Madden NFL 25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Patch, maybe?
I'd settle for a patch, but then the next question is...when? A week after the game is released? Okay, I can settle for that. In November or January? Then that's pushing it.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #34
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyFan12
You'd think it would be an easy fix, but he said this:

Josh Looman ‏@Josh_Looman 2h
@RickMullenax @camculverwell Iíll see how much work it is. Probably not this year this late in the project.

He thinks it might be too much work to put some thing in a game that he thought made since in exhibition, but not in offline franchise mode. As for XP being a factor? He said even the computer earns XP in one of his interviews so I don't see how that would be an issue.
This is the ish I keep harping on that makes no sense. Like Bucky60 states all the time, why would you design something that subtracts from what was already there? They "listen to the community" and bring back 32 team control but somehow the ability to simply have the two controllers in the select screen stay in the middle to watch a CPU v CPU game isn't in. Even though it would be kind of sad, I actually hope Looman is mistaken and just doesn't realize that CPU v CPU is possible now due to 32 team control being back.

I read/listen to the things Madden devs state and I honestly wonder do they play the games they make outside of testing. I seem to know more about the small details of what various gamers expect to be in these modes than most devs and I don't even use most of the stuff. I wonder if after that misunderstanding between a couple of EA community managers and some Osers last year, if a true Coach mode is even in M25.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #35
MVP

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

I'm speechless and tempted to just give up if for 2 years in a row, CPU vs. CPU is in exhibition but not offline "franchise" mode. Wow...just wow.

The other thing is, if you really want to see how well the AI is designed, just watch one CPU vs. CPU game. And that goes for any game. If a team is punting on 4th and one when they are down by three with less than 30 seconds to play in the 4th quarter (ie. Madden 13) then you know something is off.

Now Playing:

FIFA World Cup 2014 (incredible atmosphere)
MLB 14 The Show (too much fun)
Milestone Racing Games (so underrated)

Last edited by inkcil; 05-23-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #36
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
This is the ish I keep harping on that makes no sense. Like Bucky60 states all the time, why would you design something that subtracts from what was already there? They "listen to the community" and bring back 32 team control but somehow the ability to simply have the two controllers in the select screen stay in the middle to watch a CPU v CPU game isn't in. Even though it would be kind of sad, I actually hope Looman is mistaken and just doesn't realize that CPU v CPU is possible now due to 32 team control being back.

I read/listen to the things Madden devs state and I honestly wonder do they play the games they make outside of testing. I seem to know more about the small details of what various gamers expect to be in these modes than most devs and I don't even use most of the stuff. I wonder if after that misunderstanding between a couple of EA community managers and some Osers last year, if a true Coach mode is even in M25.
If you listen to the Game Changers Radio Show #100, D-Hiatus who helped design Madden 13 CCM, talks about how little testing actually gets done and that he feels like EA needs to hire about 10 more guys to work on the game because he, Josh Looman and two other guys(AJ Dembroski and ?) were basically doing everything for CCM. He said they were working 15-17 hour days,70 hours a week a lot of the time.

He also mentions that the Game Changers do a lot of testing and in the past that was all done together. I know this year they have sent different groups of the GC's down to different parts of the studio at different times so hopefully this means each individual mode is being thoroughly tested. He said the 1st patch that releases on the release date is usually stuff the GC's tested and felt needed to be addressed.

Want something in Madden added or fixed? Vote for it here http://www.ranker.com/list/top-reque...WlKfF9iZbujQ.0

Madden 15 will be the turning point of the Madden franchise

Last edited by jpdavis82; 05-23-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #37
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

I am concerned this doesn't bode well for the AI too, considering they came out last year to state the game is not designed for CPU v CPU play. I just don't get it, CPU v CPU play is what used to sell sports games because you walk into an Electronic Boutique and see a CPU v CPU game, comparing it to how much it looks like a real NFL telecast. Somewhere EA Tiburon just got completely away from that into this whole video game, all that matters is User control, stuff.

NFL football is a spectator sport so I don't get how they just ignore that. If a game looks good and plays reasonably realistic in CPU v CPU games, that makes me want to pick up the controller to be a part of that living world. I don't want to play a football game where the only in-game player that has any common sense or impact, are the ones a User is controlling.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #38
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
If you listen to the Game Changers Radio Show #100, D-Hiatus who helped design Madden 13 CCM, talks about how little testing actually gets done and that he feels like EA needs to hire about 10 more guys to work on the game because he, Josh Looman and two other guys(AJ Dembroski and ?) were basically doing everything for CCM. He said they were working 15-17 hour days,70 hours a week a lot of the time.
I remember that part and it just seems so unnecessary given all the free labor available to Tiburon. Like someone on the show stated, they could have countless testers that would do it just for a free copy of the game. EA doesn't seem to give a eff though. Call it an internship program or something but they need to utilize the cult following of Madden in a positive way to improve the game for everyone instead of just using it to milk every dollar out of them they can. A tester program like that would be a win-win, no cost to EA and a big benefit to the polish of the game for consumers.

They act as if it's so important to keep Madden a big secret every year or some silly ish like that. I ain't aware of other studios out to steal programming secrets from next-gen Madden, in fact, it seems like a cautionary tale about what not to do, lol.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #39
Catch Your Breath

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I am concerned this doesn't bode well for the AI too, considering they came out last year to state the game is not designed for CPU v CPU play. I just don't get it, CPU v CPU play is what used to sell sports games because you walk into an Electronic Boutique and see a CPU v CPU game, comparing it to how much it looks like a real NFL telecast. Somewhere EA Tiburon just got completely away from that into this whole video game, all that matters is User control, stuff.

NFL football is a spectator sport so I don't get how they just ignore that. If a game looks good and plays reasonably realistic in CPU v CPU games, that makes me want to pick up the controller to be a part of that living world. I don't want to play a football game where the only in-game player that has any common sense or impact, are the ones a User is controlling.
Huh?

I've never seen a demo kiosk at any retailer with the CPU playing itself. In fact I was just in Gamestop yesterday, it is not possible to start the XBOX 360 demos for Madden NFL 13 or NBA 2K13 in a CPU vs CPU context. (tangent - the Madden 13 kiosk demo also has absolutely no audio, which I found quite jarring)

Video games are meant to be played. That's the inherent advantage of the medium over all other forms of art and entertainment, direction user interaction with the piece of work which has consequences. Madden is no exception.

This isn't to say that the AI isn't important - it must present a believable challenge with strategies based upon real-life foundations in the case of a sports game - but it's the user's ability to compete with the AI (or a human opponent on XBOX Live / PSN / local multiplayer) which sells a game. Not how well the CPU can play itself.

All that said, the option to have the CPU play itself in Connected Franchise mode should be included in the game, particularly since the option is present in the Play Now setting.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #40
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Huh?

I've never seen a demo kiosk at any retailer with the CPU playing itself. In fact I was just in Gamestop yesterday, it is not possible to start the XBOX 360 demos for Madden NFL 13 or NBA 2K13 in a CPU vs CPU context. (tangent - the Madden 13 kiosk demo also has absolutely no audio, which I found quite jarring)

Video games are meant to be played. That's the inherent advantage of the medium over all other forms of art and entertainment, direction user interaction with the piece of work which has consequences. Madden is no exception.

This isn't to say that the AI isn't important - it must present a believable challenge with strategies based upon real-life foundations in the case of a sports game - but it's the user's ability to compete with the AI (or a human opponent on XBOX Live / PSN / local multiplayer) which sells a game. Not how well the CPU can play itself.

All that said, the option to have the CPU play itself in Connected Franchise mode should be included in the game, particularly since the option is present in the Play Now setting.
Are you serious? I can remember like it was yesterday walking into either Electronics Boutique in 1999, that was the actual name on the sign then or Babbage's and seeing a CPU v CPU game of NFL2k for the Dreamcast playing. I think you are referring to the actual setup that allows customers to play the games but I am referring to the games that were displayed on in the store. In fact, there used to be a feature in sports games where if no one played the game for sometime, it would actually start a CPU v CPU game automatically.

So the fact that games are made for playing doesn't detract from my point at all, they should still look and play as realistic as possible in a CPU v CPU game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »