Best Way To Clear Up Some Cap Space? - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Best Way To Clear Up Some Cap Space?

This is a discussion on Best Way To Clear Up Some Cap Space? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Last Gen

Old 08-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Best Way To Clear Up Some Cap Space?

My favorite teams to use are the Raiders and the Redskins. I like to think I'm pretty good at managing cap space, but I'm always scraping the bottom of the barrel and by year two I've typically got about 300k in the piggy. With the Redskins at least, the only player I NEED to re-sign when the contract expires is Rocky McIntosh. I don't move player positions around before the re-signing, so I never pay more (or less) than I should. Please give me some suggestions. If you need to reference a team or their roster, please try to use the Redskins.

Also, I'm not going to use the "No Cap Salary" thing. That's ridiculous. If there were a way to do it for one year, like in real life, that would be awesome, but I don't think there is.

Sponsors (you can remove in-post ad banners by registering or logging in)
Old 08-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Rookie

Deelron's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Best Way To Clear Up Some Cap Space?

Not to be trite, but you're using the Redskins who have a 2010 team salary of $189,475,961 (compared to a team like the Cowboys who have one of $154,087,871, high but not nearly as bad).

The reason you're scraping the barrel in year 2 is the Redskins have tons of big contracts, meaning you're going to have to cut someone from somewhere you probably don't want to. If this were Madden 10 someone like F.Smoot, Randle El, C.Portis would be probably be your best bets, or even Haynesworth (boo to swallowing that cap hit).
Old 08-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Send a Message via Google Talk to Superrandy

Get rid of older guys with gigantic salaries. Trade them for younger, cheaper players and picks.

Especially watch your OL, I would never pay big money to anything but a LT in Madden, all the other spots are soooo easy to draft for. You can get great guards and centers in rounds 4-7 every draft. Dont sign average (75-80) CB's, they're always grossly overpaid in Madden and demand wayyy too much cash to be your nickelback.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
RKO!!

Legend Killer's Arena

OVR: 53

Year the best way to clear some cap space to trade some of the big contracts to other teams for players with alot less cap on them. Release those players with cap will just cost you in cap penlties later on. So best thing to do to open some cap room is to trade a few big contracts for smaller ones. That should help you out big time.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Rookie

Winnipeg59's Arena

OVR: 24

As mentioned...trade for lighter salaries.
Refrain from big salaries on second string, unless REALLY key position.
Trade BIG salary for #1 or multiple draft picks, IF you have an up-and-comer waiting.

And, without looking specifically at the 'skins, remember big, final year contracts will clear themselves at the end of the year and you can resign (possibly, depending on age) a cheaper contract or let them walk (which is why trade for something/anything might be better). And, that big cap hit can then be used elsewhere (like the #1 draft pick you traded for earlier in this post - because they will want mega-bucks).

HC09 dynasty - Rebuilding the Raiders - "Russell Rulz"
Old 08-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
Rookie

snowman5607's Arena

OVR: 8
PS Network: terrifNick21

Go through the roster and re-sign the current players to longer deals and adjust the bonus money where it gives you cap room. You could probably get 20 million more alone with just doing that with the Skins.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Almost Time!

TheBrothers24's Arena

OVR: 17
PS Network: TeachMe24

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman5607
Go through the roster and re-sign the current players to longer deals and adjust the bonus money where it gives you cap room. You could probably get 20 million more alone with just doing that with the Skins.
That is what i do give extensions to younger players i know i am going to keep anyways before their ratings increase. That way you keep them a few years longer before they demand more money.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Rookie

CajunPunk's Arena

OVR: 3

Is the salary cap fixed this year, or are Brees, Manning and Brady all going to end up in FA in 2 years or after the draft.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
Rookie

Winnipeg59's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPunk
Is the salary cap fixed this year, or are Brees, Manning and Brady all going to end up in FA in 2 years or after the draft.
Gotta agree with snowman...
If you go an re-sign early, you can push back some of the cap problem and SAVE people like you've identified...of course, that may mean you have to make that up with other bodies.

Of course, you likely mean the CPU not managing the salary cap - bulb just came on - I take back what I just said, although it still is a brilliant "human" idea!

And, correct me if I'm wrong, I do think that you may take a penalty hit with that final year of bonus (if any - and there usually is on the top notch players) as the new contract kicks in right away?

Either way, Great plan snowman...

HC09 dynasty - Rebuilding the Raiders - "Russell Rulz"

Last edited by Winnipeg59; 08-06-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Light bulb moment!
Old 08-07-2010, 02:26 AM   #10
Rookie

CajunPunk's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg59
Gotta agree with snowman...
If you go an re-sign early, you can push back some of the cap problem and SAVE people like you've identified...of course, that may mean you have to make that up with other bodies.

Of course, you likely mean the CPU not managing the salary cap - bulb just came on - I take back what I just said, although it still is a brilliant "human" idea!

And, correct me if I'm wrong, I do think that you may take a penalty hit with that final year of bonus (if any - and there usually is on the top notch players) as the new contract kicks in right away?

Either way, Great plan snowman...
Yeah, I was talking about the stupidity of the franchise mode where the CPU will release players who would never be released ever, unless a crime was committed.

Snowman has a good idea, but I'd need to see evidence of it working to make sure it isn't fool proof, or CPU proof. Even if you lowered the bonuses and such, when they are released in FA, sometimes no one resigns them because they are so expensive. Last year, with the cap on, Adrian Peterson sat in FA after the draft (the CPU released him to make room for draft picks!) all season and the following season because no one could afford him. Now, that's crap. lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »