Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal? - Page 9 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal?

This is a discussion on Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
View Poll Results: The exclusivity deal will be:
Renewed 224 69.78%
NFL will see the errors of it's ways and rip it up 97 30.22%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #81
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Realistically, do you see the NFL ending the exclusivity deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastwork
I haven't read all the comments, so sorry if i'm repeating.

The exclusivity deal will prove to be a success whether its renewed or not. EA had to pay a premium to lock other game studios out of the NFL license, but it will result in a generation of gamers that will only think EA when they think of football games. Even with open competition it will take a huge financial investment from a rival company to even attempt to make a dent in Madden's market share.

I'm sure Madden sales have not increased the way EA anticipated, but you can't think copying documents without say Xerox. You can't blow your nose without saying Kleenex. Got a boo boo on your knee? you grab a "Band Aid".
No offense beast but I disagree with what you said.Kleenex,Xerox and Band-aid developed superior name recognition by strong advertising and years of making their produtcs not by exclusive rights contract.This comparison applied more to EA/Madden before the exclusive deal was made and we can see strong name recognition wasnt working out to good for EA/Madden then.The NFL 2k series was hurting Madden sales and soon after the exclusive NFL rights deal followed.

I know the NFL exclusive rights deal isnt the legal definition of a monoply but its a common sense monoply.The NFL has spent decades developing a brand name of football and accruing millions of fans.EA/Madden,by obtaining the exclusive NFL rights,has a huge marketing advantage for sales from that large fan base.Ive said it before,me and most other people arent football fans,we are NFL and/or NCAA Football fans.

IMO,If EA/Madden does not renew the exclusive NFL rights deal,the 8 years of exclusive NFL name recognition EA/Madden obtained will hurt future sales.The new generation of gamers will only think of EA for football games,good and bad.All those new generation gamers who were not satisfied with EA/Maddens' representation of NFL football,would flock to another game just to try something different.

Last edited by tlc12576; 05-03-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #82
Bring back NCAA football!

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
PS Network: OS_ODogg

The stupid thing about it too is Madden was already the clear market leader and synonymous with videogame football before the licensing agreement.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #83
EA Game Changer

OVR: 28

Not a chance..Money is King.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #84
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
No offense beast but I disagree with what you said.Kleenex,Xerox and Band-aid developed superior name recognition by strong advertising and years of making their produtcs not by exclusive rights contract.This comparison applied more to EA/Madden before the exclusive deal was made and we can see strong name recognition wasnt working out to good for EA/Madden then.The NFL 2k series was hurting Madden sales and soon after the exclusive NFL rights deal followed.

I know the NFL exclusive rights deal isnt the legal definition of a monoply but its a common sense monoply.The NFL has spent decades developing a brand name of football and accruing millions of fans.EA/Madden,by obtaining the exclusive NFL rights,has a huge marketing advantage for sales from that large fan base.Ive said it before,me and most other people arent football fans,we are NFL and/or NCAA Football fans.

IMO,If EA/Madden does not renew the exclusive NFL rights deal,the 8 years of exclusive NFL name recognition EA/Madden obtained will hurt future sales.The new generation of gamers will only think of EA for football games,good and bad.All those new generation gamers who were not satisfied with EA/Maddens' representation of NFL football,would flock to another game just to try something different.

the only comparison i was drawing between xerox, kleenex, and bandaid was the fact that the name recognition is so strong that the brands have transcended the actual products themselves. I think Madden has done that with the help of ESPN and the NFL over the past few years.

if the license was dropped I would not blindly buy a game from the competition. I'm completely content not playing another football video game until a studio, any studio, gets it right. not worth my time to play a game that doesn't work well.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #85
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
PS Network: Tolrar

Quote:
the only comparison i was drawing between xerox, kleenex, and bandaid was the fact that the name recognition is so strong that the brands have transcended the actual products themselves. I think Madden has done that with the help of ESPN and the NFL over the past few years.

if the license was dropped I would not blindly buy a game from the competition. I'm completely content not playing another football video game until a studio, any studio, gets it right. not worth my time to play a game that doesn't work well.
I agree. The NFL license would not have saved All Pro Football 2k8. Backbreaker probably faces a similar fate.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #86
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

Quote:
Thats where I disagree.I think Maddens' brand had transcended the actual product before the exclusive rights deals.Gamers had a choice and bought Madden because they preferred the Madden brand to the competition.By obtaining the exclusive NFL rights,EA has left gamers with no other NFL video game to compare the Madden brand with.This hurts the Madden brand by making Madden the only NFL video game able to recieve all the criticisim.

Quote:
Maybe you wouldnt but thats what alot of people are doing right now,"blindly buying a game" because Madden is the only NFL game on the market.Im sure most casual gamers would not hesitate to buy a different NFL video game if given the chance.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #87
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
PS Network: Tolrar

It's the most feature-laden football game available, if Backbreaker had the NFL license and EA produced a football game with all of Madden's features w/ no NFL license I'd be buying the EA product and not Backbreaker.

The NFL helps, but it doesn't make the game.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #88
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
Thats where I disagree.I think Maddens' brand had transcended the actual product before the exclusive rights deals.Gamers had a choice and bought Madden because they preferred the Madden brand to the competition.By obtaining the exclusive NFL rights,EA has left gamers with no other NFL video game to compare the Madden brand with.This hurts the Madden brand by making Madden the only NFL video game able to recieve all the criticisim.

Sorry but absolute nonsense there mate.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #89
Banned

Afrikan's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
"The deal, one EA admits to having lobbied for over the past few years.."
Quote:
"We believe that the decisions of the National Football League and PLAYERS INC to grant an exclusive license for videogames do a tremendous disservice to the consumers and sports fans whose funds ultimately support the NFL, by limiting their choices, curbing creativity and almost certainly leading to higher game prices.”
Dec 13, 2004 2:53 pm PT article of when the news first broke out.....how did u feel?
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12...s_6114977.html

when the news first broke back in 2004, a part of me died that day.

I bought all football games in those years.... Madden, 2KFootball, and I was looking forward to see what Sony would do with some time off with NFL Gameday.

I can't believe its been only six years...it feels like it's been longer for some reason.

here is an interview with Peter Moore after EA extended the deal back in Feb 2008
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/851/851316p1.html

Quote:
IGN: Speaking a little more on the creative side and gearing your answer towards the consumer: how does this exclusivity deal benefit them to make Madden...

Peter: ...as good as it was this year!

Last edited by Afrikan; 05-03-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #90
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
It's the most feature-laden football game available, if Backbreaker had the NFL license and EA produced a football game with all of Madden's features w/ no NFL license I'd be buying the EA product and not Backbreaker.

The NFL helps, but it doesn't make the game.
Then you are the exception but not the rule.Most gamers want a football game that represents the NFL.If that is not true,why would EA want the exclusive NFL rights?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »