OS Poll: What do you want to see more of from sports games in 2013? - Page 4 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

OS Poll: What do you want to see more of from sports games in 2013?

This is a discussion on OS Poll: What do you want to see more of from sports games in 2013? within the Front Page Polls forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Front Page Polls
Poll: What do you want to see more of from sports games in 2013?
Poll Options
What do you want to see more of from sports games in 2013?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #31
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: OS Poll: What do you want to see more of from sports games in 2013?

Refinement. Madden NFL.

While playing M13, there are a lot of game breaking issues with off-line Connected Careers. Cant say about online since I dont have any interest in playing online but off-line, this game missed a lot of stuff during testing (if it was even tested to begin with is a huge question mark).

The scheme setup needs to be eliminated because it screws everything up. For example, despite importing a roster, the overall rating for players will either increase, decrease or stay the same depending on the scheme. The main problem with this is the fact that when you actually play the games themselves, all the players are rated what they should be based on the roster you imported.

Not only does this make schemes not make any sense whatsoever but the biggest problem is that the CPU teams dont adjust their depth charts in-game so for example, I have Vikings MLB Jasper Brinkley rated 75 in the roster I imported and while he's 75 during the actual games, the CPU signed an MLB to replace him even though in-game, both are rated the same. This completely screws everything up.

The worse thing about schemes is that it doesnt make any sense whatsoever because obviously, the players DO fit the scheme or they wouldnt be on the team to begin with in reality.

Auto Subs is flawed. I have to set fatigue at 0 because as a 49ers fan, they only have two OT's (Staley at LT and Davis at RT). With fatigue set at 50 and all auto subs at 1/1, I get LS Brian Jennings (who I moved from TE to C) subbing in at RT. Quite simply, this is flawed and there should be an on/off option like in Madden NFL 2005.

CCM being encrypted is horrible because even after lowering players like McNabb, Vince Young, etc. to 0 and importing my roster, they still have their default overall rating. And even if I move them to K (which I did), the game has many hidden players like A.J. Feeley and others as FA QB's. I hate all of this because I dont want any of these guys to be signed.

I basically have to play CCM with trades off and to import the roster with every team already set at 53 players so they wont release and then sign players who shouldnt be on the team in the first place. Last night, while testing, I saw the Lions release a 79 rated DT Sammy Hill who's only in his 4th season. No way in hell does this happen especially when an old veteran like DT Corey Williams is on the team.

Add in that the depth chart setup is horrible. I'm seeing a top three rated WR as a second TE on the depth chart. LT's at RT and vice versa. It's horrible. The depth chart should have the same amount of slots as there are players at each respective position. For example, if I have two QB's, there should be two slots. If a team has four QB's, there should be four slots. In other words, both should be the same number.

Also, when adjusting the depth chart, only players listed at that position should be listed. I should not be seeing WR's and TE's being available to select as my 2nd or 3rd FB just because they have a higher rating.

While not the last problem, another major one is the fact that you're stuck dealing with minimum player position requirements. Sorry but this DOESNT exist in reality in the NFL. If a team wanted to have 53 QB's on their roster, they can do so. I have to constantly adjust player positions to solve this problem which is horrible because I shouldnt have to.

Gameplay wise, the main thing is that the difficulty levels are so unbalanced. With human set at 50 and CPU set at 100, I blew out the Packers 24-6 and the Lions 34-6. I lowered the human sliders to 45 against the Vikings and had an OT thriller. Down 24-7, I battled back and tied the game at 24 late in the 4th. Game went into OT. I won the coin toss and ran back the kickoff 100 yards with LaMichael James for a TD and a 30-24 win. It's amazing how a little adjustment of just five points/slots/whatever changes the entire difficulty curve and balance. Second thing is that the tackling animations need a lot of work. Majority of the time, the defenders arent even wrapping up the ball carriers and when tackling, the defenders have one arm in air with the other in the ball carriers back like he's giving him a forearm like in wrestling. Third thing is the camera on deep passes. Instead of being close, it zooms further away. I play on the default camera because I can see everything but just wished that after I lob up a deep pass, the camera zooms in instead of out.

Those are just some of the things that need severe refinement in Madden. Seriously, it is so sad that after eight years of being exclusive, there are still so many basic problems and new problems that shouldnt even exist. What's worse is that I dont think the game gets tested at all, period because I find so many things that make me scratch my head and say how the hell did they miss this when you can see and spot it a mile away??? The truly sad part is that gameplay wise, I enjoy M13 and actually have fun with the game but there's just so many problems outside of the gameplay that after a while, the fun and interest is gone and I just want to sell the game and not look back.

Sponsors (you can remove in-post ad banners by registering or logging in)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2
EAsports need to make it's coaching only mode like NCAA football it be more fun. You would just call the plays and not be able to use the joystick. Wish there were other football games to play.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #33
Banned

Maelstrom's Arena

OVR: 7
@ daniel77733:
“The worse thing about schemes is that it doesnt make any sense whatsoever because obviously, the players DO fit the scheme or they wouldnt be on the team to begin with in reality.”

I have to disagree with this point. I like the schemes feature, because it helps me more realistically sign free agents & draft picks. Just like in real life a spread offense QB might not do well in a pro-style offense. Or, a power back, might not do well in a spread system.

So I agree with them being rated lower if they don’t fit the scheme. However, one thing I would like to see added is the ability for the player to “learn” the system. For instance, if you draft a spread offense QB, but you run a balanced-pro offense, a young player (depending on his development potential) should be able to learn the system.

“Add in that the depth chart setup is horrible. I'm seeing a top three rated WR as a second TE on the depth chart. LT's at RT and vice versa. It's horrible. The depth chart should have the same amount of slots as there are players at each respective position. For example, if I have two QB's, there should be two slots. If a team has four QB's, there should be four slots. In other words, both should be the same number.”

Have to disagree with this, as well. There are quite a few TEs that double as FBs in the NFL. In fact, for anyone using the Bears, if you move Even Rodriguez to wing TE, his rating goes up (at least in the scheme I run). TE/wing was the position he played in college. Seeing receivers as FBs is kind of ridiculous, though.

I would like the option to change a players position. For instance, if you draft a DB with good hands, but poor coverage skills & it appears to be time consuming to build him up to be decent, have option to move him to WR. Or, drafting a quick QB & having the option to move him to WR/RB etc… (DE to LB/DT, DT to DE, MLB to OLB etc… you get the picture).

Another thing I would like to see in Madden, that I forgot to mention previously, is practice team players. We are forced to cut players, but in reality a lot of NFL players are signed to a practice squad.

It would be great to be able to sign a certain amount of players to our practice squad for further development. I mean, when we go into practice mode, it is a generic team. It would be nice to have some players on the practice team that we couldn’t keep on the 53-man roster & allow them to develop each week via practice, then if there is an injury & we put someone on IR, we can sign a guy from the practice squad.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #34
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10

I voted for refinement, but I think the NFL games need some innovation. Especially NCAA. Madden was a step in the right direction with presentation, but I didn't really enjoy being force fed Connected Careers.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

PS4 Stream: twitch.tv/sicsnakesports
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #35
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
@ daniel77733:
“The worse thing about schemes is that it doesnt make any sense whatsoever because obviously, the players DO fit the scheme or they wouldnt be on the team to begin with in reality.”

I have to disagree with this point. I like the schemes feature, because it helps me more realistically sign free agents & draft picks. Just like in real life a spread offense QB might not do well in a pro-style offense. Or, a power back, might not do well in a spread system.

So I agree with them being rated lower if they don’t fit the scheme. However, one thing I would like to see added is the ability for the player to “learn” the system. For instance, if you draft a spread offense QB, but you run a balanced-pro offense, a young player (depending on his development potential) should be able to learn the system.

“Add in that the depth chart setup is horrible. I'm seeing a top three rated WR as a second TE on the depth chart. LT's at RT and vice versa. It's horrible. The depth chart should have the same amount of slots as there are players at each respective position. For example, if I have two QB's, there should be two slots. If a team has four QB's, there should be four slots. In other words, both should be the same number.”

Have to disagree with this, as well. There are quite a few TEs that double as FBs in the NFL. In fact, for anyone using the Bears, if you move Even Rodriguez to wing TE, his rating goes up (at least in the scheme I run). TE/wing was the position he played in college. Seeing receivers as FBs is kind of ridiculous, though.

I would like the option to change a players position. For instance, if you draft a DB with good hands, but poor coverage skills & it appears to be time consuming to build him up to be decent, have option to move him to WR. Or, drafting a quick QB & having the option to move him to WR/RB etc… (DE to LB/DT, DT to DE, MLB to OLB etc… you get the picture).
The scheme feature is a unique idea but its horribly implemented and it doesnt matter if you sign a WR who's 88 and he drops to 80 due to the scheme because once in-game, he jumps up to 88. None of the actual attributes increase/decrease. Only the overall rating gets adjusted but its fake because again, in-game, all players are what they would normally be.

You need to check other teams and stuff because the scheme screws up EVERYTHING. I have been trying to get around so many problems for over a week and everytime I think im ready to play, bam, another issue pops up that shouldnt. You cant edit other teams depth charts and thus because of the scheme, players that should be starting are backups and vice versa. I cant say for you but this is a major gamebreaking issue for me. I dont want to see some FA MLB get signed by MIN because he's rated higher than Brinkley OUTSIDE of the actual games but once I start the game and check the depth chart, Brinkley is rated the highest but yet, he's 4th on the depth chart because of the scheme.

The scheme setup is beyond HORRIBLE and went through no testing whatsoever. This is why you dont implement new stuff without testing it to the max first. If someone like me who barely if/ever plays Madden can find all these problems, the testers??? should easily spot them within seconds.

I get your point in regards to the FB on the Bears but here's my problem with the depth chart setup. EVERYONE is more times than not OUT OF POSITION. It so damn frustrating to see LT's at LG and RG's at RT despite the fact that they shouldnt be there. I dont know if Madden has a substitution setup outside of the actual games but if you've ever played 2K5, you would be able to move the Bears FB to TE in sets that have no FB and thus, you get what you want for that formation and he still starts at FB in the formations that use the FB.

Go to the depth chart in player management and just check out the offensive lineman. See how many players are rated higher at certain positions despite the fact that they dont play them? Seeing Vernon Davis listed as my 3rd FB is beyond horrible, makes no sense, would never happen and just screws up everything. What's worse is that I have literally seen a starter become a backup because a backup at another position is rated higher at the original starter's position.

Also, KR and PR go by overall rating. This also drives me nuts because I have the KR and PR setup as they were in reality. The top two KR's and the top PR. The other slots are empty. Now, if injuries, I can understand it but if not, I dont want to see a FS running back kicks and/or punts because he's 96 and one damn point higher than the actual returner.

Another thing is the KOS. Granted, there are a few punters who kickoff (cant remember his name but the punter from the Colts handles kickoffs) and I get that but when im seeing more than half the league's punters kicking off when they're not realistically supposed to drives me nuts.

Sorry for the rant but as someone who wants to play as realistic to what happened in real life, all of this stuff aggravates and frustrates me to no end. Sorry.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #36
Pro

The only sports games I play come from EA. All they need is refinement and they'll be good. Thats specifically Madden/NCAA and FightNight.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Refinement!

One of the problem with sports games this gen is that rather than making sure something is working correctly, they seem to move on to the next "back of the box" feature; which doesn't work correctly either. Then when they get that one to a level that is satisfactory (to them, not the majority of us), they move on to the next feature, then the same thing happens again, and again and again.

So let's take a step back and get things that have been messed up this entire gen and correct them. Also put things in from previous gen that have been completely absent this gen. Because does it really count as being innovative if it was in a previous gen? Not in my eyes.
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Refinement, at this point in the current-gen console cycle. Save the flashy new stuff for the next generation and give us games that work and play like their real-life counterpart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
Cowbell.

Seriously, though, innovation from SCEA on The Show, and how about 2k stays with one physics engine for a couple of years in a row and actually irons out some bugs instead of leading off the summer with, "We've completely revamped the game and it plays more real than ever." They have an Alec Burks of a game (all of the talent, little of the refinement), and they need to actually hit their prime before they reinvent themselves. The Show is a great game, but it might be time to put in some new stuff, another year of the same thing may start to wear thin on a $60 investment.

So, in short, innovation from Sony, and refinement from 2k, because they could both easily get stuck in the opposite cycles.
The Show has plenty that it can refine as well. Just saying.

Last edited by bcruise; 01-10-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #39
Banned

Maelstrom's Arena

OVR: 7
@Daniel: Regarding schemes? Really? I have been having a different issue. outside of a game, or practice, some of my players are rated higher, because the stupid Madden prgramming still rates them against a west coast offense, which is the scheme ran by the coach I took over for. However, I changed it to a power run scheme.
Outside of the game, my top two QBs are rated a 82 & 80, in game they are both rated 79, because they don't fit my scheme. One of my RBs (Bernard Peirce) is fir for a power running game, but out side of games/practice he is rated 71, but in game gains a point, up to 72. I think it all depends on the original scheme of the team you take over, which does support the fact that it's "broken." Depth chrats & schemes should chage with the coach & be reflected as such when rating players.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 1

2K can we please have a new college basketball game?
Love the closed lecagy-mode on Ch2K8!! Add a road-to-glory/my player kind of mode where you start off as high-school baller, gets recruited, college career and finally import your player into the NBA2K14 or NBA2K15 draft.
CH2K8 - Florida Gulf Coast / Sacramento State

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Front Page Polls »