Game Shark review by Todd Brakke - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Game Shark review by Todd Brakke

This is a discussion on Game Shark review by Todd Brakke within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy

Old 09-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Game Shark review by Todd Brakke

I think this is a pretty comprehensive review.

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/3336/NHL-10-Review.htm

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Welcome

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Game Shark review by Todd Brakke

"The effect of this is that there’s so little separation between good and bad teams that elite teams really have no better a shot of winning simulated games than weaker ones. It’s always good for there to be some element of unpredictability in games such as this, but I think we can all agree that there’s something wrong when a sim of the 2009 season results in teams like the Red Wings, Penguins, Devils, and Ducks all missing the playoffs, the 7 and 8 seeds in both conferences winning their first round playoff matchups, and last year’s NHL bottom feeder Islanders winning the Stanley Cup. That is, quite simply, insane".

"The real weak link in this game, though, isn’t on the ice, but rather off it. If the release of Madden 10 has taught us anything, it’s that how players are rated and how much those ratings impact both played and simulated games are incredibly important components of producing believable results. Sadly, players in NHL 10 have such a narrow range of ability scores that there’s really not much difference between good and players or good and bad teams. Virtually every player in the game has an overall rating between 75 and 85, with a few venturing into the low 70s or 90s. This results in overall team ratings that, no exaggeration, span a range of just 85 to 90. Why even have a 100 point scale?"

This is what makes this series a no go for me. No separation in teams or players. This has to be addressed in the future. What good is improved game play if there isn't a noticeable difference in the team or players. Not good at all and something that 2k10 seems to do very well based on the videos and impressions.

Last edited by Eddie1967; 09-14-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

Have fun with 2K10!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
2017 Will be our Year!!!!

Footballforever's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeberg
Have fun with 2K10!
It's all good, I too am a bit disappointed with how flyermania has been having a really hard time having the AI with the shots on goal, to me that is a bit of a game killer, he has tried a lot slider adjustments thus far and still has not had a realistic Shot on goal average. That is a problem, maybe not for you, but for a lot of SIM gamers it's not good news. The news of GM mode being pretty bare will also be an issue.
NBA- N.Y Knicks
NCAA- Texas A&M

Twitch TV - http://www.twitch.tv/footballforeveros/profile

YouTUBE - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDe...rOZICMy5qshtNw

Last edited by Footballforever; 09-14-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 10

Yeah it's pretty dissappointing that the BAGM seems to be the biggest flop of the game. That was what I thought would be the most improved part of the game, considering they specifically mentioned it so much (and how it would have more realistic sim stats)

I know a lot of people were looking forward to it with their franchise blogs and such. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of it I'll guess I'll try to get on a fun team in the EASHL and dabble with BAP since you can get stat boost achievements through that...
Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Have fun with 2K10!
Indeed.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Welcome

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Have fun with 2K10!
Don't take things so personal, you didn't make the game did you.
And didn't you start this thread so people can read and make comments?
Geez!

Last edited by Eddie1967; 09-14-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
It's all good, I too am a bit disappointed with how flyermania has been having a really hard time having the AI with the shots on goal, to me that is a bit of a game killer, he has tried a lot slider adjustments thus far and still has not had a realistic Shot on goal average. That is a problem, maybe not for you, but for a lot of SIM gamers it's not good news. The news of GM mode being pretty bare will also be an issue.
I made a post about this in that thread; I'm just not seeing the problems that he is at all - both teams for me are averaging around 16-22 shots per game on 5 minute periods, so with longer periods more realistic totals.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »