Conference Re-Alignment Thread Part Who Knows - Page 251 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Conference Re-Alignment Thread Part Who Knows

This is a discussion on Conference Re-Alignment Thread Part Who Knows within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football

Old 12-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #2501
It is spelled Ridiculous.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Conference Re-Alignment Thread Part Who Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by untrugby
i think that would create just as many problems as it would fix. if you have 6 power conferences with 16 teams each thats still only 96 teams you would need to go to 8 and that would require some big time teams moving conferences which they probably wouldnt want to do. and then theres scheduling even if you went to 10 conference games theres still 5 teams you dont play every year and you can end up with crazy things like 4 10-2 teams tied in one division with the "winner" playing a 7-5 team for the conference championship and the right to go at a possible 8 team playoff
I agree with you. And I am completley confident in the NCAA's ability to screw up anything anyways. It is too bad that they couldn't "Flex" a couple weeks of games toward the end of the season, but I know that would also be complicated, and College Football games have to be scheduled 7 years in advance.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #2502
Banned

Bondgirl0072's Arena

OVR: 11

Mizzou Chancellor, A.D. Talk SEC Move; Football Schedule Coming Next Week

http://www.mrsec.com/2011/12/mizzou-...ing-next-week/
Old 12-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #2503
Just Havin' Fun Out There

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49
Can't wait to see next year's schedule... Gotta plan a road trip or two.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC
Old 12-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #2504
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: A&M to the SEC starting to blow up again on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats302
So, Iowa State fan...how will you feel if your teams game against Texas is on that stupid Longhorn network? That will really have a fair and "neutral" feel to it commentator wise, conference wise, etc.

A&M absolutely should leave for the SEC. Texas has a monopoly on the Big XII and I'm stunned Oklahoma(the more prestigious and historical program) is taking it like they are.

A&M moving to the SEC would work well for them. They have a rival in Arkansas already in the division they'd be in. Then the SEC could add a 14th team and move to 9 conference games...more money, more awesome matchups, etc. You'd play 6 division, 1 protected rival and 2 other division opponents a year over a 6 year period and then rinse and repeat. I know, cause I'm doing it on NCAA 12 and love the set up.

I'd just have no idea who the SEC would add to put in the East. Then again, they could add another Big XII team like Missouri, but then I have no clue how they'd decide who goes East. That said, I bet none of this happens but its fun to speculate
You think it would be on the Longhorn Network and not ESPN? And Oklahoma may be the more prestigious and historical program, but Texas makes about 1.5 times the amount of money as Oklahoma and that talks a lot louder.

Also, someone asked for a list of where all the teams are going. This is the best thing I could put together:

Teams to the SEC:
Texas A&M (from the Big 12)
Missouri (from the Big 12)

Teams to the ACC:
Pittsburgh (from the Big East)
Syracuse (from the Big East)

Teams to the Big 12:
TCU (from the Mountain West/Big East)
West Virginia (from the Big East)

Teams to the Big East:
Houston (from C-USA)
SMU (from C-USA)
Central Florida (from C-USA)
Boise State (from Mountain West)
San Diego State (from Mountain West)
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 12-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #2505
Pro

Noble Evildoer's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: A&M to the SEC starting to blow up again on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
You think it would be on the Longhorn Network and not ESPN? And Oklahoma may be the more prestigious and historical program, but Texas makes about 1.5 times the amount of money as Oklahoma and that talks a lot louder.

Also, someone asked for a list of where all the teams are going. This is the best thing I could put together:

Teams to the SEC:
Texas A&M (from the Big 12)
Missouri (from the Big 12)

Teams to the ACC:
Pittsburgh (from the Big East)
Syracuse (from the Big East)

Teams to the Big 12:
TCU (from the Mountain West/Big East)
West Virginia (from the Big East)

Teams to the Big East:
Houston (from C-USA)
SMU (from C-USA)
Central Florida (from C-USA)
Boise State (from Mountain West)
San Diego State (from Mountain West)
Additionally

Mountain West
Hawaii (from WAC)
Nevada (from WAC)
Fresno State (from WAC)

WAC
Texas State (from FCS)
Texas-San Antonio (from FCS)

The WAC is also picking up some non-football schools:
Seattle (from West Coast)
Denver (from Sun Belt)
Texas-Arlington (from Southland)

Sun belt
South Alabama (from FCS)

MAC
UMass (from FCS)
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #2506
2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!!!

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

It sounds like WVU is definitely going to be in the Big 12 next year.

The Big East is apparently applying pressure on Boise State to join the conference next year.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #2507
City of Champions

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

The ACC has announced it's Conference alignment for when Pitt and Syracuse joing the conference. Pitt will play in the Coastal Division while Syracuse will be in the Atlantic Division. Additionally, the will be permanent rivals so they will play each other every year. Finally, the ACC will use a 9-game conference schedule.

Quote:
The Atlantic Coast Conference will play a nine-game schedule in football and every team will compete in the ACC basketball tournaments once Syracuse and Pittsburgh join the league.

The league will leave its division alignments in place for football. Syracuse will join the Atlantic Division and Pittsburgh will join the Coastal. The two will serve as cross-division partners for scheduling purposes, meaning they'll play every year.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/sports/30373484/...#ixzz1lMcW3DZ9
I still think this whole wave of conference realignment is totally ridiculous. I'll also say that I am not a fan of a 9-game conference schedule. I think they should stick with 8 conference games so each team plays 4 home and 4 away every year. And yes, I'm aware that the BE currently has an odd number of conference games.
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Power (AFL):
Old 02-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #2508
Pro

Kcordloh's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghFan
I still think this whole wave of conference realignment is totally ridiculous. I'll also say that I am not a fan of a 9-game conference schedule. I think they should stick with 8 conference games so each team plays 4 home and 4 away every year. And yes, I'm aware that the BE currently has an odd number of conference games.
I just think the 9 conference game thing is ridiculous if you have divisions.
Not for fans, I liked it in the Big XII this year, and for the future it makes sense there in a 10 team conference. But when you have divisions it makes no sense from a business perspective, and let's face it, college football is about business anymore.

9 conference games means 6 extra losses that do not have to exist. It also means a higher likelihood of scheduling 2 or 3 soft opponents, because of the harder conference schedule. I think 8 is the magic number in conferences. In a 16+ team super conference I'd like to think it should be two conferences that never schedule each other as opponents, but stage a conference championship game. Sort of how I hoped the CUSA/MWC merger would end up but now doubt due to all the defections.

If I were a president of a college I would push for that, it makes sense business wise. More bowl eligible teams, more bowl bids, more bowls, more money.

As a fan I am still sad I don't get to see MU/KU anymore. Awesome memories from the last 4 Border War's.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #2509
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

I wonder when the WAC will add another team. They need to get to 8. Probably will wind up with some mediocre FCS team (Idaho State or something)
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #2510
All Star

Tovarich's Arena

OVR: 26

Yeah, the WAC needs to figure that out in the not too distant future. I'm wondering if they're waiting to see if they get raided again first. The Mountain West is going to be losing 2, and CUSA 3. CUSA could take some WAC teams, but I would have to think Louisiana Tech is on the list. If the Mountain West wants to replace Boise State and San Diego State, I would expect they want Utah State and who knows what direction they go with the other. The WAC either needs to give it up or take over half of the Big Sky. To get the 8th team by 2013, which I think is when the rules say they need to get the 8th, they would have to be announcing it by the end of the summer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »