Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Mays Landing, NJ USA
1990 Giants vs. 1991 Redskins
Welcome to Wrigley Field in Chicago as the NFL World Cup continues as the 1990 Giants face off against the 1991 Redskins in a Group A matchup. Will one of these Super Bowl champions add NFL World Cup champion to their resume? Their first step begins now.
**- The Giants open the game with the ball as they receive the opening kick but do not get past the 20 as they begin from their 18.
- Ottis Anderson gets the handoff and goes off tackle to the left, he is across the line and into the secondary. He rumbles for 25 yards to open the game and give the Giants a 1st down on the 43.
- Anderson gets the ball again on a weep to the left and he picks up 7, and and 3 at the 50.
- Rodney Hampton up the middle for 4 and a 1st down at the Redskins 46.
- Simms back, hands to Anderson on a draw play but the Redskins are ready and he gets just 1 yard, 2nd and 9 at the 45.
- Hampton gets the ball and picks up just 1 yard but a 5 yard incidental facemask is added on, 2nd and 3 at the 39.
- Dave Meggett gets the ball but is stacked up at the line, 3rd and 3 at the 39.
- The Giants continue to run the ball as Anderson is given the ball on a sweep left, he is around the corner and picks up 8, 1st down at the 31.
- Simms takes the snap, drops back, looks to throw deep into the enzone, broken up. 2nd and 10.
- Draw playto Hampton but he gets just 1, 3rd and 9 at the 30.
- Simms back, looking, throws over the middle toward Mark Bavaro but overthrows him and it's picked off, no, he can;t hang on to the interception, 4th down.
- Allegre with the 37 yard field goal attempt, it's good. The Giants take a 3-0 lead.
**- After the kickoff the Redskins start from their 34.
- Earnest Byner gets the handoff on a sweep, he gets around the end and is across the 40 to the 45 for a pickup of 11, 1st down.
- Handoff to Ricky Ervins straight ahead for 4 but a flag is down, holding on the Redskins. 1st and 20 from the 35.
- Handoff to Byner but he is dropped as soon as he gets the ball for a loss of 2. 2nd and 22 at the 33.
- Rypien back, looking, fires to Art Monk complete for 14 over the middle to the 47, 3rd and 8 at the 47.
- Rypien back, has time, has Gary Clark wide open and hits him for a 20 yard gain, 1st down at the Giants 33.
- Rypien hits Ricky Sanders for a short 4 yard gain, 2nd and 6 at the 29.
- Byner gets the handoff and is across the 20 to the 19, 1st down.
- Rypien back, hits Sanders for a short 4 yard gain. 2nd and 6 at the 15.
- Byner gets the ball up the middle, he is through the line, across the 10, inside the 5 and down at the 3, 1st and goal.
- The give to Byner, he is hit and the line, keeeps his feet going and gets away, spins to the outside and dives towards the goalline... touchdown. The Extra point is good and the Redskins take a 7-3 lead.
**- The Giants start from their 30 after the kickoff and manage 1 first down before punting the ball away.
**- The Redskins get held to what looks like a 3 and out as they are 4th and 9 at their own 17 as time expires in the first quarter.
1990 Giants 3
1991 Redskins 7
**- The Resdkins start the quarter with the ball but punt it away as it is 4th down to start the quarter. They have to punt a second time from their 12 after an offside penalty against them.
**- The Giants have great field position after the punt as they start from the Redskins 39.
- Simms back, looking for Bavaro, fires incomplete, 2nd and 10.
- Anderson straight ahead for 4, 3rd and 6 at the 35.
- Simms back, looking, fires over the middle to Bavaro, complete for a big gain of 17. 1st down at the 18.
- Lewis Tillman gets the ball and is hit and dropped once he touches it for a loss of 2. 2nd and 12 at the 20.
- Simms back, under pressure, fires to his safety valve Bavaro for a short 2 yard gain. 3rd and 10 at the 18.
- Simms back, fires a quick pass to Mark Ingram for 7 yards. 4th and 3 at the 11.
- Allegre tries the 28 yard field goal... it's good. They have cut the lead to 7-6.
**- The Redskins start from their 24 and go three and out.
** - The Giants start from their own 37 after the punt. the get one first down but punt from near midfield.
**- The Redskins start from their own 22 and get two first downs to get around midfield with under two minutes left in the half but a Lawrence Taylor sack ends their drive and they punt.
**- The Giants are held to a three and out and punt the ball away.
**- The Redskins start from their own 33 after the punt wih 35 secod left in the half.
- Rypien back, looking, throws over the middle near midfield. Intercepted by Everson Walls and he is down at the Redksins 44.
**- The Giants start from the Redskins 44 with 28 seconds left in the half after the interception.
- Anderson for no gain, timeout. 2nd and 10 at the 44 with 24 seconds left.
- Anderson out of bounds for a 2 yard gain, 3rd and 8 at the 42 with 20 second left.
- Simms back, looking, fires over the middle to Ingram, complete inside the 30 and down at the 25 for a 17 yard gain.
- They rush to the line ans spike the ball with just 3 seconds left.
- 42 yard field goal attempt by Allegre.... it's good. The Giants take a 9-7 lead at the half.
1990 Giants 9
1991 Redskins 7
**- The Redskins start the second half from their 25 after the kickoff but go three and out.
**- The Giants start from their 45 after the punt. They manage 1 first down but cannot get past the Redskins 41 and are forced to punt.
**- The Redskins start from their own 15 after the punt.
- They manage two first downs but the drive stalls near midfield and they punt the ball away.
**- After a great punt return the Giants will start at the Redskins 45.
- Simms hits Stephen Baker with a short pass for 6. 2nd and 4 at the 39.
- Simms back, looking, under pressure, rolls to his right, has no one open and runs for a short two yard gain. A flag is down, incidental facemask added on to the end of the run. 1st down at the 32.
- Simms back, fires a short pass to Baker again for 8 yards. 2nd and 2 at the 24.
- Smms back, screen to Meggett and he is brought down near the line but he picks up 1 yard. 3rd and 1 at the 23.
- Simms fires a short pass to Bavaro, complete for 8 and a first down. 1st down at the 15.
- Anderson gets the ball and is brought down for a 1 yard loss, 2nd and 11 at the 16.
- Simms back, fires to Hampon, incomplete, 3rd and 11 at the 16.
- Simms back, looking, has no one open. He pulls the ball down and runs and is brought down for a 1 yard loss, 4th and 12 at the 17.
- Allegre tries a 34 yard field goal... it's good. The Giants increase their lead to 12-7.
**- The Redskins start out frmo their own 19 and go three and out. The final play of the qarter is their punt.
1990 Giants 12
1991 Redskins 7
**- The Giants start from the Redskins 37 after the punt and good return.
- Hampton gets the ball and is brouht down behind the line for a 1 yard loss. 2nd and 11 at the 38.
- Simms back, looking, has no one open and begins to run. He is inside the 30 and down at the 27 for a gian of 11, 1st down.
- Anderson gets a pitch to the right and gets just 1 yard, 2nd and 9 at the 26.
- Simms fires a short pass over the middle ti Ingram, complete for 8 3rd and 1 at the 18.
- Handoff to Anderson up the middle, he dives over the pile. It will be close as they have to measure. They extend the sticks... he made it. 1st down at the 17.
- Handoff to Hampton, he has a little room and gets inside the 10 to the 8. 2nd and 1 at the 8.
- Baker is given the ball and brought down behind the line for a 1 yard loss. 3rd and 2 at the 9.
- Simms back, looking, has Meggett out of teh bckfield, complete. He is inside the 5 and down at the 2, 1st and goal.
- Handoff to Meggett, he dives over the pile and is in, touchdown. They make the extra point and the Giants now lead 19-7 with 9:31 left in the 4th.
**- The Redskins start at their own 31 after the kickoff.
- Rypien hits Sanders over the middls for 16, 1st down at the 47.
- Byner gets the ball up the middle for 1. 2nd and 9 at the 48.
- Ervins get the ball on a sweep to the right, he gets the corner and picks up 8, just shy of the first down. 3rd and 1 at the Giants 44.
- Rypien fires a quick pass to Monk but he is droped immediately for a 1 yard loss, great defensive play by the corner. 4th and 2 at the 45.
- The Redskins go for it. Handoff to Byner up the midde. He is brought down after a 1 yard gain and is stopped shot. The Giants take over on downs.
**- The Giants start on their own 44 after the punt.
- The manage one first down before punting from the Redskins 45.
**- The Redskins start from their own 20 with 4:43 left after the punt.
- Byner picks up 1, 2nd and 9 at the 21, timeout Redskins.
- Rypien back, fires to Byner but it's out of his reach. 3rd and 9 at the 21.
- Rypien back, has Monk open near the sideline and hits him. He tightropes the sideline and is finally out after a 24 yard pickup. 1st down at the 45.
- Rypien to Clark for 4, 2nd and 6 at the 49.
- Illegal motion on the Redskins. 2nd and 11 at the 44.
- Rypien back, looking, fires and it's batted down. 3rd and 11 at the 44.
- Rypien back, fires and again it's batted down. 4th and 11 at the 44.
- Rypien back, looking, fires downfield. Complete to Terry Orr inside the Giants 30 to the 28 for a gian of 28. 1st down at the 28.
- Rypien bck, fires to Monk but he can't hold on. 2nd and 10.
- Byner gets 1 yard on the draw. 3rd and 9 at the 27.
- Rypie back, fires to the endzone toward Monk but it is out of his reach. 4th and 9 at the 27.
- Rypien back, under heavy pressure and tries to get the pass off but it is batted down. The Giants take over on downs.
**- The Giants take over on their own 27 with 2:48 left. They manage a couple first downs and almost run the clock out as they punt the ball away to the Redskins with just 11 seconds left in the game.
**- The Redskins get one play off, a deep pass that is broken up and the game is over.
1990 Giants 19
1991 Redskins 7
Player of the Game: Ottis Anderson (Giants) - 81 yards rushing and 1 reception.