When I start MyGM in NBA 2K17, one of the first things I do is look at my team roster. What are its weaknesses? Who are my best players? Who can I unload to try and improve my team?
One thing that is thoroughly enjoyable (for me at least) is taking my team and building a powerhouse based on youth and potential. The team might be average to begin with, but after a season or two -- and some improvement in player ratings -- my young studs usually grow into seasoned monsters.
I’ve taken the liberty of listing the top five young players at each position who have high potential and a high ceiling. You can target these players to help your team immediately, or after a few seasons of growth. The players are listed based on in-game overall; potential and basic info can be seen as well.
5. Rudy Gobert, Age 24 - Utah Jazz (85 Overall, B+ Potential; $96.12M 5-Year Contract)
A defensive and rebounding beast -- like, he's an actual mutant in those departments.
4. Nikola Jokic, Age 21 - Denver Nuggets (85 Overall, B+ Potential; $2.78M 2-Year Contract)
Can shoot the mid-range shot at a high clip. Rebounding king. Good playmaking skills for a big. High IQ.
3. Andre Drummond, Age 23 - Detroit Pistons (86 Overall, A- Potential; $98.42M 4-Year Contract)
Strong inside game on both sides of the ball and a tenacious rebounder. High IQ, elite potential.
2. Joel Embiid, Age 22 - Philadelphia 76ers (86 Overall, A+ Potential; $4.83M 1-Year Contract)
Do what you have to to get Embiid. His elite potential, interior defense and IQ at 22 are all a rarity. Did I mention he is a better than average three-point shooter? Yeah, he was worth the wait (praise be to Hinkie).
1. Karl-Anthony Towns, Age 20 - Minnesota Timberwolves (88 Overall, A Potential; $5.96M 1-Year Contract)
Crazy good athleticism, a mid-range shot that is better than average and good interior defense are enticing. Elite rebounding, IQ and potential make KAT a stellar building piece for many years to come at just 20-years old. Just be ready to give away a huge chunk to get him.
Jahlil Okafor, Age 20 - Philadelphia 76ers (75 Overall, A+ Potential; $4.79M 1-Year Contract)