Home
Feature Article
FIFA 17 Year-End Recap

What Did The Game Do Right?

It was a perplexing year for FIFA. Visually, the game excelled. From gorgeous lighting to amazing face scans, it’s easy to say that this year’s FIFA is the best looking to date. Apart from the cosmetic upgrades, FIFA 17 brought about a greater sense of physicality with its new shielding animation, even if it’s a tad bit overpowered at times. 

Stylistically, for the first time since FIFA 14, Custom Team Tactics (CTT) work and allow for a greater sense of variety in career mode if you put the time in to implement them. The new Journey Mode, while shallow, was a decent first attempt at an engaging first-player mode akin to NBA 2K’s MyPlayer. Hopefully, future iterations of this mode will expand upon its concepts, allowing for less canned scripting and provide a greater variety of options. 
 


What Did The Game Do To Change The Genre This Year?

Apart from the aforementioned Journey Mode and supporting the new Xbox One S and PS4 Pro with enhanced graphics, FIFA 17 did little to flip the footy genre on its axis. With all the major licenses in the bag, sans the UEFA Champions League, FIFA 17 was only an incremental improvement on FIFA 16. Gameplay was tightened up some with better respect to movement, locomotion, and inertia but overall gamers had to dig deep to unearth the differences between FIFA 17 and last year’s version.

What Did The Game Really Mess Up?

Despite a few additions, FIFA's career mode has become an outdated, stale and repetitive exercise oddly limited to 15 virtual years. Unless you dedicate the time to implement CTTs, clubs will generally play the same, with the difference between great and average players barely noticeable. Off the pitch, the poor CPU roster management rears its ugly head as clubs like Manchester United will stockpile strikers while ignoring other key positions. 

If you can stomach seeing Lewandoski as the third-choice striker, you’ll quickly realize that the majority of squads largely go unchanged from year to year. In the end, not only are the transfers curious, there is also not enough of them. Furthermore, with the inclusion of real-life EPL managers, there is a shocking omission of a managerial carousel meaning the virtual Alan Pardew is still roaming the Crystal Palace touchline. 




Managerial objectives were introduced this year but come off as feeling rushed and counter-intuitive. Take for example the youth product objective where in order to complete it, you must have a youth product play a good percentage of matches within two years. Feasible at lower level clubs, this goal is nearly impossible to accomplish if you take the reins at say a Chelsea, Manchester City or Arsenal. While “diamonds in the rough” are rare in real life, in FIFA 17 they’re even more scarce. Finding a 17 or 18-year old capable of supplanting world class internationals is nearly impossible at any club of significance. 

What Did This Game Do Differently?

Apart from the enhanced graphics, FIFA 17's career mode and new The Journey mode both fall substantially short when compared to other sports genres. While the online modes are still as strong as ever, the addition of the Journey Mode did little to entertain gamers after the initial buzz wore off. Until FIFA embraces a fully functional online career mode akin to Madden’s offering, I don't think there's much FIFA can do in terms of bolstering new, fresh ideas. Perhaps a further evolution of the Frostbite engine will bring about more than cosmetic changes 

FIFA 17 is by no means a bad game, it just wasn’t the leap most of us expected coming from an initially solid FIFA 16 --before all the patches struck. While I’m still finding enjoyment with the game, I can’t help but wonder “what if” with this title. It’s with that thought in mind that I will keep my eyes glued to the internet and hope that FIFA 18 is the game we have all been hoping to experience.


Member Comments
# 1 Bixer @ 01/09/17 09:36 AM
It's weird, I seem to be in the minority but I'm of the opinion that this year's FIFA actually looks the worst it has done in years.

Yeah the graphics are great, but the lighting is absolutely awful most of the time. Playing under floodlights should not look the same as playing on a foggy day.
 
# 2 jsherm23 @ 01/09/17 11:04 AM
Agreed, I think the visuals in FIFA 17 are terrible especially for PS4 standards. The facial scans are great and the images in the foreground are clear but everything in the background is fuzzy and blurry. The game generated cut scenes (Journey, Pre Game Walk Outs, In Game Celebrations) look great but when you pause and go to instant replay it's awful.
 
# 3 HenryClay1844 @ 01/09/17 11:28 AM
FIFA 17 is bad, it's the worst FIFA ever in my opinion. Sure it looks great, but there are major bugs in gameplay, you never know if your button command will be listened to. Hold y to try and bring the keeper out it see. Or try and triple tap x for a low shot. Set your switching to manual and then count the auto-switches. There was almost no upgrades to commentary this year. The career mode is awful, the Journey is very limited and scripted. Only a crazy person enjoys playing this game online and I have had the least fun ever playing offline.
 
# 4 PPerfect_CJ @ 01/09/17 01:42 PM
It's January and Manchester City, one of the biggest clubs in the world, still have an incorrect home kit. The stripe down the side is totally wrong. In Career Mode, star players are still sitting on the bench, even tho they CLAIMED to have patched that. The winter gear bug is still in full effect and has been for YEARS. As the article says, the transfers are horribly done. On top of all this, for whatever reason, the game has played like garbage in the last few weeks. I hate it, because FIFA can be a great game with a few changes and a little EFFORT, but they've proven that only FUT matters to them and it's dragging the game down to infuriating levels.
 
# 5 Sparkles @ 01/09/17 02:46 PM
This year they're really screwing up their priorities. Focusing on ultimate team and not the community won't rack in the cash anymore EA. Listen to your community. We want the game to succeed, not play to infants who waste money on virtual players for a mode that means nothing hypothetically. That said, this year's game is just confusing. No importance to details or licenses (which is hurting FIFA and PES). They really need to step it up next year and listen more to its core audience. Right now, they have no idea what type of game this is
 
# 6 KingTocco @ 01/10/17 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles
This year they're really screwing up their priorities. Focusing on ultimate team and not the community won't rack in the cash anymore EA. Listen to your community. We want the game to succeed, not play to infants who waste money on virtual players for a mode that means nothing hypothetically. That said, this year's game is just confusing. No importance to details or licenses (which is hurting FIFA and PES). They really need to step it up next year and listen more to its core audience. Right now, they have no idea what type of game this is
I love this game and would like them focus on stuff outside of Ultimate Team too, however I also love FUT and mainly play it.

I think you're mistaken if you think you're the core audience of FIFA players and that they aren't listening to the community, I think you're in the minority.

I also really dislike your stereotyping of people that play FUT, not everyone is "12 years old and wasting money on the game" that's such a terrible way of thinking.
 
# 7 Fraser G. @ 01/10/17 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles
This year they're really screwing up their priorities. Focusing on ultimate team and not the community won't rack in the cash anymore EA. Listen to your community. We want the game to succeed, not play to infants who waste money on virtual players for a mode that means nothing hypothetically. That said, this year's game is just confusing. No importance to details or licenses (which is hurting FIFA and PES). They really need to step it up next year and listen more to its core audience. Right now, they have no idea what type of game this is
FIFA's core audience are Ultimate Team players, are they not? I mean, it's played by the masses and makes an outrageous sum of money on a yearly basis. They won't just push it to the wayside to satisfy those who aren't so interested in it.
 
# 8 PPerfect_CJ @ 01/10/17 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser G.
FIFA's core audience are Ultimate Team players, are they not? I mean, it's played by the masses and makes an outrageous sum of money on a yearly basis. They won't just push it to the wayside to satisfy those who aren't so interested in it.
I don't think that they are. That's just all we hear about, because they cram it down our throats. Career Mode is a lot bigger deal than they'd have you believe. Glad some of you enjoy FUT. I do not. Never touched it. Never will. What we need and haven't received is a BALANCE.
 
# 9 Bixer @ 01/10/17 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
I don't think that they are. That's just all we hear about, because they cram it down our throats. Career Mode is a lot bigger deal than they'd have you believe. Glad some of you enjoy FUT. I do not. Never touched it. Never will. What we need and haven't received is a BALANCE.
I have to disagree I'm afraid.

I'm strictly a career mode only player. Always have been, always will be. Hate everything about FUT and what it represents in games (microtransactions etc).

That said, there's no denying it's the mode that the vast majority of FIFA players spend all their time on. I'd say easily a 70/30 split against career mode, possibly even higher. It's also the way EA make more money after people have already bought the game - us career mode players don't spend another penny on the game once we've taken it home, but FUT players will continue to buy packs or whatever right up until the next game is released.

It's a damn shame that this is the way it is now, but unfortunately there's little we can do about it while so many people continue to waste their money on FUT.
 
# 10 dipatach @ 01/10/17 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixer
I have to disagree I'm afraid.

I'm strictly a career mode only player. Always have been, always will be. Hate everything about FUT and what it represents in games (microtransactions etc).

That said, there's no denying it's the mode that the vast majority of FIFA players spend all their time on. I'd say easily a 70/30 split against career mode, possibly even higher. It's also the way EA make more money after people have already bought the game - us career mode players don't spend another penny on the game once we've taken it home, but FUT players will continue to buy packs or whatever right up until the next game is released.

It's a damn shame that this is the way it is now, but unfortunately there's little we can do about it while so many people continue to waste their money on FUT.


The micro transactions is the reason I haven't touched 2k in 2 years. I will not buy virtual coins to improve my player. I just can't get my self to spend additional money on a game I already purchase. I think career mode might go away. More time people spend playing career mode, that's less time playing FUT. In turn less money for EA
 
# 11 Fraser G. @ 01/10/17 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
I don't think that they are. That's just all we hear about, because they cram it down our throats. Career Mode is a lot bigger deal than they'd have you believe. Glad some of you enjoy FUT. I do not. Never touched it. Never will. What we need and haven't received is a BALANCE.
I get your point, but a balance is unlikely. Ultimate Team is a massive source of revenue for EA. They HAVE to focus on it first and foremost from a business perspective.

I'm not saying you're wrong to want more from Career Mode, but it doesn't surprise me that Ultimate Team gets more attention.
 
# 12 KingTocco @ 01/10/17 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixer
I have to disagree I'm afraid.

I'm strictly a career mode only player. Always have been, always will be. Hate everything about FUT and what it represents in games (microtransactions etc).

That said, there's no denying it's the mode that the vast majority of FIFA players spend all their time on. I'd say easily a 70/30 split against career mode, possibly even higher. It's also the way EA make more money after people have already bought the game - us career mode players don't spend another penny on the game once we've taken it home, but FUT players will continue to buy packs or whatever right up until the next game is released.

It's a damn shame that this is the way it is now, but unfortunately there's little we can do about it while so many people continue to waste their money on FUT.
We get it, you and most people here on OS strongly dislike FUT but please stop with the waste of money thing.

It's entirely possible to field any type of team you want without spending any money and this years addition of FUT Champs and SBC have made it even easier.

Some people enjoy spending their money on this game or others, stop bagging them.

I hope they focus on Career mode more for you guys in the future.
 
# 13 dubcity @ 01/10/17 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles
Focusing on ultimate team and not the community won't rack in the cash anymore EA.
I wish this was the case. The mobile game model isn't going anywhere.
 
# 14 Bixer @ 01/11/17 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTocco
We get it, you and most people here on OS strongly dislike FUT but please stop with the waste of money thing.

It's entirely possible to field any type of team you want without spending any money and this years addition of FUT Champs and SBC have made it even easier.

Some people enjoy spending their money on this game or others, stop bagging them.

I hope they focus on Career mode more for you guys in the future.
Not sure why you've got your knickers in such a twist there, that's literally the first time I've ever mentioned it on here and it was in a direct reply to someone else's point.

You act as if we've had this encounter before.
 
# 15 PPerfect_CJ @ 01/11/17 09:32 AM
Right off the bat, let me be clear that I understand Ultimate Team is a huge money maker for sports games and isn't going anywhere. That said, the majority of us on OS believe that UT has ruined sports games. We don't appreciate that companies concentrate almost entirely on this aspect of their games, these days. If you go to other sections of this website, you'll see that probably most of us, or at least a very high number of us are "sim nation" for lack of a better description. Don't get all hot about us running down FUT. We are just sick and tired of it. Wanna be even MORE sick and tired of it? Go look at FIFA's Twitter page. Try and ask them a question about Career Mode. Try and find where they even acknowledge that Career Mode EXISTS. I'm not saying don't enjoy the mode if you're in to it. I'm not saying don't spend your money on packs. It's yours to spend if that's what you want to do. I'm not saying you can't post here, even if I had that kind of authority. I'm just saying don't expect a lot of sympathy and then get angry when it's not given. We're not upset with YOU. We're upset with the GAMING COMPANIES. Just had to make myself clear on where I stand. Nothing personal and no hard feelings. Have a good day, fellas.
 
# 16 KingTocco @ 01/13/17 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
Right off the bat, let me be clear that I understand Ultimate Team is a huge money maker for sports games and isn't going anywhere. That said, the majority of us on OS believe that UT has ruined sports games. We don't appreciate that companies concentrate almost entirely on this aspect of their games, these days. If you go to other sections of this website, you'll see that probably most of us, or at least a very high number of us are "sim nation" for lack of a better description. Don't get all hot about us running down FUT. We are just sick and tired of it. Wanna be even MORE sick and tired of it? Go look at FIFA's Twitter page. Try and ask them a question about Career Mode. Try and find where they even acknowledge that Career Mode EXISTS. I'm not saying don't enjoy the mode if you're in to it. I'm not saying don't spend your money on packs. It's yours to spend if that's what you want to do. I'm not saying you can't post here, even if I had that kind of authority. I'm just saying don't expect a lot of sympathy and then get angry when it's not given. We're not upset with YOU. We're upset with the GAMING COMPANIES. Just had to make myself clear on where I stand. Nothing personal and no hard feelings. Have a good day, fellas.
I gotcha, no hard feelings on this end either. I don't mean to sound angry or mad at any one of you here, I know that most on OS are not in favor or into the Ultimate Team modes.

I fully understand what the Ultimate Team modes have done to EA and 2K, I get it. Those types of modes definitely funnel people towards spending money, I totally get it. I also spend some extra cash on them each year, nothing crazy like Streamers/YouTubers do, but more than nothing.

I understand where you guys are coming from, I play and like Career mode too. I agree that it's pretty barebones and has been roughly the same for many years now, it's frustrating that don't put more effort into it. I'm with you guys and would love more to be done each and every year with it and for them to not just focus 80/20 on Ultimate Team.

I appreciate the post, thanks man.
 
# 17 PPerfect_CJ @ 01/14/17 10:55 AM
You got it, man. At the end of the day, we're all in this together. All any of us can do is hope for the best. 👍🏻
 

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.