The Ryan Tannehill era is full on underway in Miami. With HBO capturing the footage, fans got to see the decision making process along the way.
Here’s what we learned in this week’s Hard Knocks
The Chad Johnson aftermath left players in the dark
HBO opening with Karlos Dansby’s comments was the right move. Dansby’s comments last week caused a lot of disruption and even Philbin seemed bothered by it. However, the most interesting follow up from Johnson’s depature were Reggie Bush’s comments and the meeting that followed with Long, Dansby, Bush, and their coach. I was impressed with Bush’s leadership role and Philbin’s willingness to listen to his players.
The Offensive Line needs work
Besides one of the best tackles in Jake Long and promising center Mike Pouncey, the Dolphins’ offensive line showed its flaws. Anywhere from rookies to veterans, some members of the line needed to get straightened out before the regular season begins. Guard Eric Steinbach, who just recently retired, didn’t seem to have the physical health needed to play in the NFL. Rookie Jonathan Martin struggled just about everywhere in practice, while third stringer John Jerry took extra reps to shake off weight problems. Offensive line coach Jim Turner had his hands full.
Ryan Tannehill is ready to lead this team
HBO did an excellent job in this quarterback race. One of my first predictions for this year’s series was that HBO would make it appear that any of the three quarterbacks deserved the job. However, after the first two games of the preseason and the insight from meetings it’s clear that Tannehill won the coaching staff over.
- We saw some plays from Chris Hogan and Rishard Matthews, but how about a look at the depth chart for wide receiver? We’ve seen some nice plays and coverage, but there needs to be some evaluation footage as well.
- Matt Moore took the demotion as well as anyone could. Although, you could still see the disappointment in his face as his coaches were telling him that he wouldn’t be starting.
- Les Brown Sighting of the Week: Playing with crocodiles instead of making any noise. Just cut this dude already.
- Defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle’s reactions to the Carolina game were the best part of the episode. More screen time for him please.
- “The entire Dolphin team is a work in progress”
What did you think of this week's episode? Comment below.
Questions and comments can be sent to Matt at email@example.com or reply in the comments section. You can follow him @Mparas1432.