An exciting new sport, a fun new game.
A look at what WWE 2K17 needs to do to succeed this year.
A look at Noodlecake Studios' recent gem...
Will we see Ultimate Team only games? A return of NCAA?
Operation Sports Content
Tuesday, July 12, 2016
12:54 PM - July 12, 2016. Posted by steelerfan. Written by Steve Noah
EA has posted an interview with Sam Rivera, lead gameplay producer for FIFA 17, as he goes over the different attacking techniques in the game this year. Make sure to check out the new trailer here, going over more details.
Tell us about the new ways players can attack in FIFA 17.
We've introduced new attacking options that fans have asked for and we're excited for them to use - starting with two new driven shots. The first is the low shot. You power it up like a normal shot but you press the shoot button a second time before making contact with the ball. This results in a ball that is low to the ground and great for when you’re aiming at the bottom corners of the goal. These types of shots also have a new variety of ball error.
The other is the low finesse shot. This time, you press the RB/R1 shot modifier while pressing the shoot button a second time before making contact. When done correctly, this results in a low and swerving ground shot that is usually aimed towards the bottom corner of the goal.
What about headers, anything new there?
We’re now making it possible to direct your headers downwards, again meant to make it more difficult for the keeper to reach.
How do you do that?
As with the driven shots, you press the corresponding button a second time to have your player push the ball downwards and not upwards. You can also do this same action on volleys, a second button press will give you the ability to keep your volleys lower.
The through pass is a very effective mechanic in the game, anything new added there?
We now have it that you can place a through pass further into space by pressing RB/R1 + Y/Triangle. When performed in the right situation your attackers should have a better chance on goal.
You mentioned driven finishing shots, do keepers have anything similar to get the ball back into play?
Yes, we’ve introduced two options for keepers. They can now do driven drop kicks or driven throws.
Do you need to press the button a second time to do this?
No. This time, you hold the RB/R1 to do driven kicks or throws. RB/R1 + X/Square or B/Circle will have the keeper kick the ball with a lower but faster trajectory while RB/R1 + A/Cross will see the keeper throw the ball with a similar lower trajectory but with much more power. When done correctly this will result in more fast break counter-attacking opportunities.
12:06 PM - July 12, 2016. Posted by MMChrisS. Written by Guest Post
EA Sports sent us this NHL 17 gameplay blog from NHL 17 Producer, Ben Ross, as he highlights some of the new additions to gameplay this year. Some more details can be read on the official blog.
Read More - NHL 17 - Control The Ice
EA Sports just released another NHL 17 trailer. This one details the new features and improvements coming to On-Ice gameplay, including authentic goalies, reactionary save intelligence, all-new net battles and dozens of new goal celebrations.
10:11 AM - July 12, 2016. Posted by MMChrisS. Written by Chris Sanner
GameInformer recently sat down with Cam Weber and Matt Bilbey to talk about the overall direction and future of EA Sports. Check out the full interview here, or read some select excerpts below.
On whether Ultimate Team will ever be its own game: "...taking our most engaged audience in the most competitive place to play Madden – which is really what it's become – segmenting those groups and pulling them out doesn't make sense."
On if we are going to see more sports titles on the PC: "PC is literally based on demand. There's still the high demand for FIFA on the PC globally because of the global appetite for the game. I think that's less so with Madden, but I think if that changes and an opportunity presents itself, I think we would definitely leverage the opportunity."
On will we see sports spin-off titles like NFL Head Coach again: "...a lot of those ideas we're looking at prototyping for the mobile business at the moment."
On the yearly release cycle being the best model for sports games: "I think that the strategy we have right now for our games, in the sports context, is the right one. Will that evolve and change in the future? I bet you anything that will, and we're trying to build our games in a way that at that point in time, that appetite's there, we can actually change our entire build to a 100% service if we need to."
On a return of NCAA Football: "We're very fortunate in that I have no idea what's going on with that. I can say, because I've spoken to Cam about it, it's a similar answer – the opportunity on mobile to test something and do something there is perhaps the one that's in nearer sight. But I don't keep up to speed with the legal wranglings of the NCAA conversations."
There are plenty of other tidbits from the two EA Sports guys on GameInformer, read everything they had to say and comment on what you think!
Monday, July 11, 2016
10:18 PM - July 11, 2016. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
The New York Giants will wear white pants at all of their home games this year, instead of the traditional greys.
For those of you that were curious, Madden NFL 17 will have them too.
04:25 PM - July 11, 2016. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
It’s the second annual Sports Game Power Rankings! Bryan Wiedey and Rich Grisham navigate the sports gaming landscape to determine which franchise stands atop the genre and how they compare to each other within. The assessment relies on criteria that includes sales, reviews, cultural impact and more, so can NBA 2K repeat or will a new series take the crown?
On the show this episode:
Joining us this week:
- Bryan Wiedey (@pastapadre) Pastapadre/Sporting News/Hit The Pass
- Rich Grisham (@richgrisham) Out of the Park Developments/Hit The Pass
02:43 PM - July 11, 2016. Posted by MMChrisS. Written by Chris Sanner
As much attention as the other end of the Durant to the Warriors signing is getting -- the more intriguing option for NBA 2K GMs may be the Oklahoma City Thunder.
The Thunder are stuck in a pretty tough position in that they have to sign Russell Westbrook to a long-term deal to have any shot at contending in the west long-term -- or they face the prospect of a long and lengthy rebuilding process.
There's been a lot of rumors out and about with the Thunder possibly shopping Westbrook for a trade -- but how high is Westbrook's value without any type of long-term deal assurances out there?
And then you have Westbrook himself, who will have plenty of options in free agency after this year which are at least as good as OKC.
And let's face it, in NBA 2K it may be far easier to re-sign Westbrook long-term than it will be in real-life (infinitely so in this guy's opinion). Thus, what would you do as the GM of the Westbrook-led (for a year) Thunder? Do you trade him? Sign him? Lose him?
What pieces do you look for to build the Thunder into perennial contenders? Sound off in the comments!
04:51 AM - July 11, 2016. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
MotoGamesTV have posted a new gameplay video comparing Gran Turismo 6 vs. Gran Turismo Sport at Brands Hatch, Nurburgring Nordschleife and Willow Springs.
Gran Turismo Sport is scheduled to release for the PlayStation 4 on November 15.
Sunday, July 10, 2016
03:24 PM - July 10, 2016. Posted by smiley3. Written by Steve Noah
EA Sports has posted another Madden NFL 17 trailer. This one is a developer diary on the authenticity in the game. We've posted a small GIF above, but watch the full trailer here.
Check it out and post your thoughts.
11:42 AM - July 10, 2016. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve NoahEvery Sunday, we will get you caught up on the sports gaming news you might have missed during the week.
- NHL 17 - More Details on Gameplay, Franchise, EASHL & Much More (Game Informer)
- Kevin Durant Will Sign with the Golden State Warriors - Are They Cheese in NBA 2K17?
- NBA Live Mobile Available Now on Android & iOS Devices
- Vote For the FIFA 17 Global Cover Athlete (James, Martial, Reus or Hazard)
- Madden NFL 17 Podcast: Process of Building Ratings, OVR Formula & More: Part 2 of 2
- NBA 2K17: The Winners and Losers from Free Agency
- EA Sports UFC 2 Free Trial Available Now - July 11, Play Full Game For 5 Hours
- Need For Speed Arrives in The Vault on July 12 For Origin & EA Access Subscribers
- MLB The Show 16 is Currently on Sale For $39.88 at Amazon
- The Best Players on New Teams in Madden NFL 17
- How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Diamond Dynasty
- F1 2016 Features 22 Player Online Racing, Formation Lap & Manual Starts
- How Set Pieces Have Changed in FIFA 17 (Trailer & Interview)
- 9 Things We Learned About Madden NFL 17 (Gamesradar)
- PES 2017 Ships on September 13, More Details, Modes, Screenshots Revealed
- Will We Ever See All-Star Weekend in EA Sports NHL?
- NHL 17 Q&A #3 - New Animations, HUT, Draft Champions & Much More
- Oculus Rift Support Arrives on July 11 For DiRT Rally
Saturday, July 9, 2016
10:47 AM - July 9, 2016. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
Codemasters is adding Oculus Rift support for DiRT Rally, on July 11. Fans will be able download it from the Oculus Store. Existing PC players will receive the update on the same day.
Source - Codemasters
Friday, July 8, 2016
03:45 PM - July 8, 2016. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
NHL 17 Producers are answering questions on their Ask NHL page, similar to how they did it last year. If you have questions, make sure to submit them here.
We've posted some of the questions and answers below, click here to read them all.
If you missed the first Q&A click here, the second Q&A can be read here.
The Orlando Solar Bears play at the amway center. Will the graphics of the stadium reflect that our will we get the generic arena like in the past games?
We will have the authentic center ice logo and center line and all of the home fans will be wearing the authentic jerseys as well, but the arena will not have the exact architecture of the Amway Center.
How many different things can you customize when it comes to your arena?
There are a lot of things you can customize in your arena. Everything from the base architectural design all the way to the in-arena presentation of music, special effects and lighting. As some examples you will be able to create a very unique brand having control over your board trim colour, seat pattern layouts/colour schemes, railing colours, goal light types, center ice logo design/layout,center line styles, stanchion styles/colours, goal spotlight effects, scoreboard types, special effects during intros/goals, goal songs, powerplay songs, and a bunch of other details.
Is there going to be speed differentials between skaters? For example nhl 15 and 16 made it so the defender no matter what position he was in if he turned it over at the blue line he some how was able to get back and break up the break away. Nhl 14 had it spot on with the acceleration and speed differences between players.
This is a bit subjective as there are differences in player speed/acceleration based on attributes but other effects such as fatigue, skating with the puck, etc. can have an impact. In a tuner for NHL 16, we actually reduced the impact skating with the puck has on your skating, especially when hustling and pushing it ahead. This will be the case in NHL 17 as well.
Will the 1-3-1 powerplay be in the game? It's the one that pretty much every team in the NHL uses now. Caps, Penguins, etc. Also are the behind the net and in front of net variations of the 1-3-1 in?
We haven't added new powerplay formations to the game this year.
Has EA considered adding a "classic teams" mode or roster? For example: any of the the Oilers teams from the 80"s, the 1997/1998,2002 Red wings, the early 90's Penguins, the 93 Canadiens or Kings and so on. It would be great to play as these teams in single matches or be able to add the teams/ or individual players to GM mode.
Thanks for the question Rob. We've definitely considered classic teams however there are some challenges when it comes to licensing. There is not a single union for all retired players which means that we have to license each player from each team individually which can be logistically challenging.
Read More - NHL 17 Q&A #3 - New Animations, HUT, Draft Champions & More
01:12 PM - July 8, 2016. Posted by MMChrisS. Written by Fraser Gilbert
I don't know about you, but I love the post-E3 phase leading up to the release of a future sports title. After waiting for the smallest bit of information, we're swamped with details that we analyze extensively over the following months. Interviews, pre-order bonuses and betas all contribute to the ever-rising levels of anticipation before the finished product finally arrives in our hands, and hopefully, it lives up to the hype. Yeah, it's all an elaborate marketing technique, but it's a lot of fun all the same.
The frustrating part about a situation like this is not being able to get hands-on for ourselves, and that's why many of us channel that anticipation into something creative. When it comes to the NHL series, everyone has an opinion. Our NHL 17 wishlist articles and forum entries have been swamped with comments about what you'd like to see in this year's iteration, and the same thing happens on a yearly basis. Usually, these ideas are formed based on inaccuracies in the previous title's gameplay and game modes. There's a group of people who request the same things year-on-year, though, and the All-Star Weekend often falls into that category.
Read More - Will We Ever See All-Star Weekend in EA Sports NHL?
04:58 AM - July 8, 2016. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
Konami has announced September 13 as the release date for PES 2017 and revealed additional details and modes for the game.
- The Scouts required to sign the player you need is now available through the auction house. If you sign the right Scout with their specialty areas covering your star, scouting him will be so much more higher in chance. 2017 functions support the scout to keep their word when you specifically describe the player you want to sign.
- It is now easier to sign players below the rate of 75 through Top Agents.
- Now you can check your opponent's play style and tendency when matching on online matches with Match Analysis. Observe and learn your opposition's approach, and change your Advanced Instructions to take command and control of the next match.
- New tutorials have been created when starting myClub, making it easy for newcomers and veterans to learn everything about the mode.
- Significant changes to the transfer system, with new dedicated budgets for transfer funds and player wages. More variety in the negotiation such as 6 month loan, and signing the player during his loan period.
- The element of time has been added to the last day on transfer windows, setting a deadline to add excitement and tension to sign your players, just like in real life football.
- Directors will also play their role on giving advice to the player for negotiations.
- Team role which has been a popular addition since 2016 sees further enhancement with now 22 roles compared to 10 in PES 2016, with added roles such as 'Hero' and 'Bad Boy'. This allows for more character establishment for your team.
- Player Growth system has been improved, with players now acquiring not just abilities as in PES 2016 but also skills. Some players may see a boost in their abilities while on loan.
- Training system has been further improved, with players now being able to learn skills and establish their play style through Training. In PES 2017 players can now learn their position, enabling you to further realize your ideal player and team.
- Day and night match balancing throughout the season, taking into account real life kick off times.
- New feature within certain match modes tracks your player history for offline matches with friends, as well as your playing styles
- Never have to wonder who is better between you and your friends, as the mode will track everything from games won, lost, drawn, to goals scored and conceded
- Versus also deeply tracks playing style, such as possession play or if you like to counter attack. It will also let you know your favorite move, such as sliding tackle or interception.
- Improved judgment on player collisions to determine fouls. Smaller fouls will be called up, as well as extra intelligence when playing the advantage rule, including going back to book players after an earlier challenge.
- Additional stadiums added, from new licenses to original designs. Brand new pitch turf designs give variety, as well as new options on goal net types in edit mode, which adds a unique look to every stadium you play in.
- Available as a Day One update when users connect online. Weekly updates will now be able to be downloaded to all offline modes. This will enable all users with online connections to play with the latest rosters. This will also apply to European transfers for winter, the long wait is now gone from your worries.
- Completely new menu design throughout the game, from main menu to pre-match settings to gameplan. Significant upgrade to match presentation, including new HUD and redesigned highlights and replay system.
- New controller vibration adds the feeling of being in the thick of the action. Varying vibrations for impact and player collisions, as well as shots and when the ball hits the post.
- Share your create teams and players with other only through easy transfer via USB
- Data sharing is multiregional, allowing European users to share with fans from US or Asia
Thursday, July 7, 2016
01:19 PM - July 7, 2016. Posted by jpdavis82. Written by Steve Noah
Gamesradar has posted 9 things they learned about Madden NFL 17, during their hands-on time at EA Tiburon.