A look at Solecismic Software's newest Pro Football Text-Sim.
The OS Community is Split as to how accurate sports game ratings are for players.
A look back at what FIFA did well, and what it didn't so well.
A look at the winner of our staff's Sports Game of the Year Award.
If you can't see the video above, click here to view it.
Also be sure to Subscribe to the Official Operation Sports YouTube channel here.
- Front Office Football Eight Review (PC)
- FIFA 17 Title Update #4 Available Now For PC, Xbox One & PS4 - Full Details
- NBA2K Expansion MyGM E4: What does MyGM look Like in Season 2?
- New NBA Live Rumors... Something Could Be Announced Soon...
- NBA Jam 2K17 SNES Rom Available Now With Updated Rosters, Teams, Legends & More
- F1 2016: The Most Overlooked Sports Game of the Last Year?
- NHL 17 Patch #3, HUT Competitive Seasons & Tuner Update 1.02 Available - Full Details
- NBA 2K17's Run: A Mostly Successful Outing
- Remember Joe Montana Football? It's A VR Passing Game Apparently...
- Out of the Park Baseball 18 Releases on March 24 with New Features & Improvements
- WWE 2K17 On Solid Ground, Has Room to Grow
- Official Madden NFL 17 Conference Championship Roster Update Available Now
The official Madden NFL 17 roster update for the divisional round is available now. These weekly roster updates include changes to player ratings, depth charts, and injuries for all 32 teams.
You can check all of the changes here. We've listed some of the changes below.
- Aaron Rodgers +1 (Overall 97)
- Matt Ryan +1 (Overall 92)
- Alex Mack +1 (Overall 91)
- Julian Edelman +1 (Overall 88)
- Ezekiel Elliott +1 (Overall 88)
- Ramon Foster +1 (Overall 88)
- Cameron Wake +1 (Overall 88)
- Randall Cobb +1 (Overall 87)
- David DeCastro +1 (Overall 87)
- James Harrison +1 (Overall 87)
- Whitney Mercilus +1 (Overall 87)
- Duane Brown +1 (Overall 86)
- Jared Cook +3 (Overall 85)
- Dak Prescott +1 (Overall 85)
- Tom Brady -1 (Overall 94)
- Bobby Wagner -1 (Overall 92)
- Justin Houston -5 (Overall 91)
- Richard Sherman -1 (Overall 90)
- Barry Church -1 (Overall 86)
- K.J. Wright -1 (Overall 86)
Wrestling video games have an interesting history. Much like real-life WWE where there is a segment of fans who insist that the "good ol’ days" of wrestling passed us by decades ago, there are many fans of this genre who insist that the last great wrestling game released was WWF No Mercy for the Nintendo 64. No Mercy was no doubt a great game, but those who ignore the strides wrestling games have made since 2K Sports took over are missing out.
I’ve written before how I took a long break from the franchise. For me, the 2000s simply were not fun from a gameplay standpoint. I took a stab at WWE 12 but left feeling underwhelmed. WWE 2K17, on the other hand, feels like a whole new ballgame. The graphics are much improved along with smoother animations. However, as far as video games have come, it’s still tricky to nail down human animation so that it comes across as natural. Wrestling games have long been one of the worst offenders in this department, but 2K17 definitely has a more natural feel to all of the movements.
Read More - WWE 2K17 On Solid Ground, Has Room to Grow
Out of the Park Developments has just announced Out of the Park Baseball 18, scheduled to release on March 24 with plenty of new features and improvements. Read the full press release below and the announcement trailer here.
Follow-up to Metacritic’s 2016 PC Game of the Year features a new Challenge Mode, Online Profiles and Leaderboards, real 2017 major and minor league rosters, historic Negro League teams, improved 3D mode, new tournaments, and much more
Out of the Park Developments, an official licensee of MLB.com, the MLBPA, and MiLB.com, today announced that Out of the Park Baseball 18 will be released on March 24, 2017. The follow-up to the acclaimed Metacritic 2016 PC Game of the Year includes several exciting new features and a treasure trove of deep improvements to its award-winning gameplay.
For the first time, Out of the Park Baseball 18 introduces an all-new Challenge Mode. This will allow series newcomers to enjoy a powerful way to learn the intricacies of this deep strategy title, while driving community engagement for all users via the creation of online profiles to share accomplishments on new leaderboards. The Challenge Mode is just the beginning of an all-new, long-term expansion of OOTP’s online platform -- more will be unveiled during the course of the 2017 baseball season.
Out of the Park Baseball 18 will also include:
- 2017 roster sets with all Opening Day MLB rosters, as well as the complete minor league system from Triple-A to rookie leagues as well as the Arizona Fall League. All major league (and over a thousand minor league) player ratings will be based on the popular ZiPS player projection system. The 8 international leagues, as well as independent minor leagues in the US, also return this year with accurate rosters.
- Historical Negro League clubs, thanks to a partnership with OOTP’s acclaimed historical database experts and Seamheads.com. This feature will allow baseball fans to explore the league’s rich history, create compelling what-if scenarios, pit major league clubs against their Negro League counterparts, and much more.
- Improvements to 3D mode, including: Even more ballpark detail; better on-field player models and enhanced on-field decisions; and the ability to save all 3D highlights and watch a highlight reel, whether the game was played out or simulated.
- Custom and real world tournaments for all the teams included in the game. National and international tournaments are a breeze to create, as is the ability to import historical teams.
- Extensive AI improvements, including roster management, trades, and in-game decision-making.
- A redesigned injury system that features detailed injury histories for all players, little nagging and long-term injuries, and more.
- Many more improvements, including:
- A beautiful new interface
- Improved game recaps
- An upgraded player morale/team chemistry system
- Enhanced play-by-play text and league news
- A sophisticated system for team relegation and promotion between leagues
- The ability to retain player salaries in trades
- The incorporation of many 2017 rule changes
- Faster import speeds of historical minor league seasons
- And more to be announced prior to release
Through January 27, customers may pre-order OOTP 18 for $31.99, a 20% discount off its full retail price. From January 28 to March 23, customers may pre-order OOTP 18 for $34.99, a 10% discount off its full retail price. All pre-order purchases include access to the Gold Master version on March 20, four days ahead of the official launch on March 24.
OOTP 18 can be pre-ordered through this link.
OOTP 18 runs on PC/Mac/Linux and, like last year, it features the American League and National League logos, the World Series trophy, official logos and jerseys for all 30 MLB teams, over 150 Minor League Baseball league and team logos, and historical MLB logos.
“Our recent success has been an overwhelmingly positive experience,” said lead developer, lifelong baseball fan, and Out of the Park Developments CEO Markus Heinsohn. “As always, our passionate community has driven us to continue improving every aspect of our game. We’re confident they will love this year’s title. The huge infusion of new fans last year has also fueled us to think bigger for the future, and we’re incredibly excited about what we’re building to dramatically expand our community and delight a new generation of Out of the Park Baseball players.”
“Out of the Park Baseball is the gold standard of sports strategy games, and last season’s awards proved that yet again,” said Out of the Park Developments CMO Richard Grisham. “That has inspired the team even more to expand the reach and relevance of this great game to put it in the hands of every kind of baseball fan. With so many modes to play, Out of the Park Baseball 18 can be enjoyed by everyone in their own way.”
The saga of Joe Montana Football is always up for weird twists and turns, and at this point its possible no one is even listening.
Almost non-chalantly in a recent interview with Twitter Sports, Joe Montana himself talked about his company Superstar Games and their recent project called Montana 17 which is "an all passing VR game for football."
This, of course is a major departure from the company's previous claims of a simulation football experience and even a mobile-only title with that same goal in mind. The VR experience of course can be on mobile devices -- but it seems that plans have changed at least a few times for the title and the development time has been much longer than anticipated.
It remains to be seen if Superstar Games even actually gets a product to market at this point. Currently the game is a great case study in how to create a ton of hype posting an anonymous message on a message board full of sim-heads and then failing to capture on that buzz by having a supremely underwhelming reveal. It's a fascinating point of history in OS Annals as well.
In the strange sordid tale of Joe Montana Football, it seems the twists aren't quite over yet.
Read More - NBA 2K17's Run: A Mostly Successful Outing
Another NHL 17 patch and tuner update is scheduled to release tomorrow morning. The update will also include a new game mode, Hockey Ultimate Team - Competitive Seasons. Read all of the details below.
UPDATE: (1-19) The patch is available now for both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, weighing in at just over 300 MB.
HOCKEY ULTIMATE TEAM
Hockey Ultimate Team™ - Competitive Seasons
Competitive Seasons is a new game mode which allows players to compete in a “monthly” season format to earn in-game rewards. Each monthly season consists of rounds. Complete three games to earn round points which determine your ranking on the Round Leaderboards. At the end of each round, you will earn a reward as well as Season Points that count towards your season total. Finish as high as you can in each round to accumulate as many season points as possible to earn a larger reward at the end of the season.
*NOTE: Rounds and Season durations are subject to change.
GAMEPLAY (Tuner 1.02)
- Tuned down puck carrier’s reaction speed to reacquire a puck after losing it.
- User Goalie Updates:
- Increased ability to make saves in tight to their body and decreased ability when reaching to reward better puck tracking and cutting off angles.
- Increased ability to make saves on cross grain shots by tuning movement so goalies will stay square even if the user is requesting to move away from the shot direction.
- Increase save success on blocking saves.
- Decreased the impact goalie movement to help promote puck tracking so that good angles and positioning mean the most for a goalie’s ability to make a save.
- Decreased screen effect slightly.
- Increased goalie speed for post-to-post movement.
- Increased AI goalie’s awareness for a possible shot off a faceoff.
- Increased ability to react after a save to increase their chance of getting back in position and making rebound saves.
- Rolled back change from previous patch for the goalie occasionally getting stuck in butterfly as it was causing a worse knock on issue.
EASHL Player Class Updates
- Increased all goalie classes height to 6’2”.
- Increased speed and agility of all goalies and added variance with Standup being the highest and Butterfly being the lowest.
- Increased Hybrid goalie’s recover rating so that he is now faster recovering than the Butterfly goalie.
- Increased rebound control of all classes. Standup goalie’s will still have the lowest rating while Butterfly goalies will have the highest.
- Increased poke check ability for all classes. Hybrid has the best poke check rating of the three classes and Butterfly has the lowest.
- Hybrid goalie now has the best stick side and paddle down rating of the three classes.
- Increased vision for all classes. Butterfly is still the lowest and Standup is still the highest.
- Increased 5-hole rating for both the Hybrid and Butterfly classes to separate them from the Standup goalie.
- Increased rebound control for the AI goalie class.
- Lowered hand-eye ratings for all classes and rebalanced the category to see more realistic deflections and bat-ins across the different player classes.
- Lowered shooting attributes of Grinder, Power Forward and Enforcer Forward.
- Lowered passing attribute for the Grinder.
- Increased balance of the Two Way Forward and Hitting Sniper class.
- Increased the ability for defensive builds to intercept passes but still kept the same variance in abilities relative to each of the classes.
- Increased the minimum rating a player needs to get a saucer lift on a regular pass. Now Playmaker, Jumbo Playmaker and Puck Moving D will be the only players with the advantage.
- Raised discipline of the Two Way Dangler.
- Tuned down puck carrier’s reaction speed to reacquire a puck after losing it.
The following uniforms have been added:
- Added Toronto Maple Leafs Centennial Uniform.
- Added Detroit Red Wings Centennial Uniform.
- Added Chicago Blackhawks Winter Classic Uniform.
- Added St. Louis Blues Winter Classic Uniform.
- Added Philadelphia Flyers Stadium Series Uniform.
- Added Pittsburgh Penguins Stadium Series Uniform.
- Added Frolunda Indians Home and Away Uniforms.
- Added Linkoping HC Home and Away Uniforms.
- Added Baie-Comeau Drakkar 3rd Uniforms.
- Pittsburgh Penguins Arena now named PPG Paints Arena.
- The following items have been updated:
- Fixed CCM Extreme Flex Pro 3 Blocker.
- Fixed Regina Pats Medallion to correct logo.
- Fixed Buffalo Key Bank Arena scoreboard signage.
- Fixed camera clipping issue in Semi-Pro arena in EASHL.
- Region and Skill-Based Matchmaking restrictions were removed from Private PIN Group Matchmaking.
- Anti-griefing logic was removed from Private PIN Group Matchmaking.
- Fixed an issue where player fighting bias was being set to 0 when the league year changed from year 1 to 2.
- Fixed an issue where player fighting bias was being set to 0 when the league year changed from year 1 to 2.
I've never been the biggest Formula One fan, but I've played my fair share of F1-related games over the years. Those familiar with these games will likely recall memories of Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix series and EA's F1 2002, among others.
Since 2008, Codemasters has been in possession of the F1 license, and they have built a franchise that has impressed more often than not. Last year's F1 2016 was released in August, and OS' own Robert Kollars described it as, "an outstanding race sim, and should be in any race fan's rotation." He's not the only one who lavished praise on it, with many suggesting it might have surpassed its predecessors as the best Formula One game of all time.
Despite the acclaim, I haven't seen it on all that many Game of the Year lists thus far. With Forza Horizon 3 releasing just a month later, F1 2016 arguably hasn't enjoyed the recognition it deserves. Of course, that's not to suggest the game has sold poorly, topping the UK sales charts in its debut week. But, Formula One doesn't have the same appeal across all areas of the globe, so for those of you who have never heard of Lewis Hamilton or Max Verstappen, here are three reasons why F1 2016 should be in your collection.
Read More - F1 2016: The Most Overlooked Sports Game of the Last Year?
Hogswithablog.com have just posted their updated NBA Jam 2K17 SNES rom, a complete roster update for NBA Jam T.E. Grab yourself a SNES emulator, download the modified rom, and relive your youth with the biggest NBA superstars in the game today, as well as some special characters.
- Play with all 30 NBA teams, including New Orleans, Toronto, and Memphis (not included in the original game)
- 117 of the top NBA players including Lebron James, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry, and many more
- Completely revamped rosters, accurate as of 1/1/2017
- Custom attributes and appearances for every player, based on the NBA 2k17 roster
- Unlock legends like MJ and Kobe, past players like Scottie Pippen, Reggie Miller, and more
- Minor graphical tweaks and updates
The focus of the NBA Live series was on mobile last year, with a promise from EA Sports, that they would be committed to console gamers early this year.
While it's not much to go off of right now, our friends at NLSC have dug up a little scoop.
An EA Korea game classification refers to the game as The Drive to NBA Live on Xbox One, along with an image appearing on Twitter, via TrapSwish.
Everything is speculation and rumor at this point, but EA is hinting at announcing something soon. Guess we will just have to wait and see.
Until something is officially announced, what are you hoping to hear about the next NBA Live game?
Mike does a good job of exploring the NBA in a fictional future and we also keep tabs of our expansion franchises.
Be sure to subscribe to Mike on YouTube. If you can't see the video above, you can check it out here.
Also, check out our Operation Sports YouTube Channel. We're adding things like Mike's Vlog (on 'tape delay') and other unique content this year! You will want to be a part of it!
FIFA 17 title update #4 is available now for PC, coming soon for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Check out the full details below.
UPDATE: (1-18) The patch is available now for Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
Addressed the following in FIFA Ultimate team:
- Displaying correct kit on the player in the kit select screen.
- Players will no longer be able to set custom player positions in Team Management during gameplay.
- An issue in Squad Building Challenges where switching a higher rated player with a lower rated player resulted in the overall squad rating going up.
- Removed Est. Date, Crest and Squad Name from the FUT Champions matchup screen.
- Changed the latency bar graphic to give more detail on connection quality.
- An issue where the current weekly wages from the budget tab do not properly reflect the actual weekly wages.
- Improved camera selection for slow motion goal replays.
- Addressed EATV buffering.
- Addressed audio balance of French commentators.
- Gameplay commentator language for The Journey now defaults to language selected in Game Settings.
- Adjusted the defensive line position for low pressure tactics.
- Addressed an issue where a pass was made without a button press.
However, the question remains, how does Front Office Football 8, fulfill the football fans text-sim needs?
- FIFA 17 Year-End Recap
- Press Row Podcast - 2016's Biggest Sports Video Game Stories
- OS NBA 2K Expansion MyGM Ep 3: Season Recap, Offseason & Draft Lottery
- OS Staff Selects Our 2016 Sports Game of the Year
- Would You Play a VR Sports Game? (Poll)
- Out of the Park Baseball 18 Beta Testers Wanted
- WWE 2K17 Future Stars Pack Scheduled to Arrive on January 17
- The Golf Club VR Patch 1.07 Available, Full Details Here
- DiRT Rally Adding PlayStation VR Support Soon
- WWE 2K17 Coming to PC on February 7
- Community Split on Sports Game Ratings' Accuracy in OS Poll
- Official Madden NFL 17 Divisional Round Roster Update Available Now
- NBA 2K18 Coming to Nintendo Switch in September
- EA Sports FIFA Coming to Nintendo Switch
- Press Row Podcast - Nintendo Switch Reveal Sports Game Impact