Why do we love these modes exactly? We take an in-depth look...
A look at the state of online play post-patch in UFC.
We go in-depth on the new features in this year's game.
A look at the future of games, is it in yearly releases or subscriptions?
Operation Sports Content
Thursday, July 31, 2014
06:39 PM - July 31, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
EA Sports has just revealed the top free safeties in Madden NFL 15. New screenshots can be seen here.
Jairus Byrd - Overall 96
Earl Thomas - Overall 95
Devin McCourty - Overall 94
Eric Weddle - Overall 94
Charles Woodson - Overall 86
Just guessing we see strong safeties tomorrow and that will throw the complete schedule EA Sports sent us out of whack. We will post a new schedule if they send us an updated one.
Previously released Madden NFL 15 player ratings:
- Top Rookies
- Top Quarterbacks
- Top Running Backs and Fullbacks
- Top Wide Receivers & Tight Ends
- Top Offensive Linemen
- Top Defensive Ends
- Top Defensive Tackles
- Top Middle Linebackers
- Top Outside Linebackers
- Top Cornerbacks
- Top Free Safeties
03:39 PM - July 31, 2014. Posted by MMChrisS. Written by Jayson Young
One track, named UEFA Champions League 2006–2007, sent gamers on a card-collecting quest, with the goal of building a five-star team of superstar soccer players.
The other trail, titled All-Pro Football 2K8, felt more like a recess game of football, where two talented captains picked their supporting casts from a lineup of flawed role players, each inhibited by multiple shortcomings, but blessed with one or two specialized skills.
The videogame business, naturally, took the road more easily monetized -- spawning fantasy team modes like Ultimate Team, My Team and Diamond Dynasty, which were not primarily designed to be fun, but instead, to test gamers' purchasing patience and spending self-control.
Read More - The Psychology Behind Ultimate Team's Success
02:31 PM - July 31, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
The @NBA Twitter handle will be added to the official Spalding game ball for the 2014-15 NBA season, becoming the first professional sports league to include its social media handle on its official game ball.
EA Sports took this moment to show off the new game ball in NBA Live 15. A close up can be seen here.
Source - CBS Sports, EA Sports
01:08 PM - July 31, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
EA Sports has just posted another NHL 15 blog. This one showcases the new Vision A.I. feature in the game. Players now have an elevated level of player intelligence. Vision A.I. features evolved awareness with players reading and reacting to potential plays. Scoring area recognition, pass anticipation, and enhanced team breakouts all improve the flow of the game.
- Utilizing Vision A.I., skaters respond to the puck's current and projected position as they anticipate plays before they happen. With over 2,500 points on the ice – players will always look to be in the correct position in all three zones based on their player specific roles.
- In the offensive zone, players will react dynamically to their teammates’ position, looking to open up potential passing and shooting lanes. Goal scoring forwards will look for soft spots in the defense and get to open shooting lanes.
- Using just the D-pad, you can change your team’s strategy on the fly. All-new strategies include Quick and Controlled Breakouts that give you dozens of options as you carry the puck up the ice resulting in more rush formations and diverse gameplay.
11:35 AM - July 31, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
Here's Shady with another NBA 2K14 montage, which includes updated rosters.
10:02 AM - July 31, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
EA Sports has just released another FIFA 15 video. This one showcases closer control, more realistic player movement, new ball physics and physical challenges.
Let us know what you think.
08:38 AM - July 31, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
Madden NFL 15 made a slight change to upgrading players in Connected Franchise, based off of this image captured from the livestream yesterday.
You will now be able to decide on everything you want to purchase and confirm with a single button press, instead of one at a time. While it's not much, it's a nice time saver.
Let's hope we hear more about Madden NFL 15 Connected Franchise soon.
07:24 AM - July 31, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
Codemasters has released a patch for the PC version of GRID Autosport, no word on a console patch. All of the details are listed below.
- Feature Addition – Time Trial mode implemented for GRID Autosport.
- Feature Addition – Advanced controller options made available for all devices, not only devices that are officially supported.
- Feature Addition – “Current race timer” added to multiplayer lobbies, allowing new entrants (who are waiting within the lobby for the current race to complete) to gauge the progress of the current event.
- Online Fix - (DLC) – Fixes specifically to improve future DLC cross compatibility within online matches.
- Career Fix - (Audio) – Fix to prevent music from cutting off entirely within the race results screens.
- AI Fix - (Drift) – AI could potentially control player car after terminal damage in two-part drift events.
- RaceNet Fix - Fixed instances of RaceNet profile switching leading to Club Tags & liveries being mismatched in game.
- RaceNet Fix - Fixed issue which caused the RaceNet Challenge Medal objectives to be too easily attained.
- AI Fix – Resolved sporadic instances of AI being given lap times before actually completing the lap.
- AI Fix – Fixed an issue which could make AI players within Demolition Derby events impervious to receiving terminal damage from the player’s car.
- RaceNet Fix – Removed instances where ghost entrants could appear within RaceNet Challenge Events.
- Splitscreen Fix – Fixed issue in relation to being able to generate playlist events which contain DLC content.
- Career Fix - Resolved irregular instances of “Previous Race Results” grid orders being incorrect for the first race within a championship.
- Online Fix – (Playlists) -Added “number of laps” to the online track vote screen.
- Online Fix – Fixed messaging issue to inform a player they have been promoted to Lobby Host.
- Online Fix – (Customisation) – Resolved instances of customised wheels not appearing correctly for certain vehicle types.
- Online Fix – (Results) – Resolved erratic instances of retired players not being labelled correctly in the live race results screen.
- Online Fix – (Playlist) – Fixed sporadic instances of players transitioning from Endurance to a Race/Time Attack mode then receiving an incorrect UI menu on the voting screen.
- Stability Improvement – Dallara Indycar – Fixed sporadic crashes when loading into events using the Indycar.
- Online Fix – Amended incorrect reference to ‘downloadable content’ used on when purchasing DLC.
- Splitscreen Fix - Text strings updated in event rules screen for all disciplines.
- Stability Improvement - Fixed instances of the game entering an unresponsive state after uplink removal whilst completing RaceNet Challenge events.
- Stability Improvement - Fixed stability issues when host disconnects during rolling start events.
- Stability Improvement - Fixed issues when booting the game with 2 or more pads active, the game giving all control to the “highest numbered” pad.
- RaceNet Fix - RaceNet Club names now use verified strings within the online newsfeed and loading screens.
- Online Fix - Unavailable tracks are no longer searchable via the online custom search filters.
- Online Fix - Fixed instances of total online winnings displaying incorrectly.
- Stability Improvement – Fixed instances when title loses functionality when controller is disconnected during inviting a friend to join game play.
- Online Fix - Fixed matchmaking issues when players are unable to find a session after initial host left by powering down their console.
- Stability Improvement - Remedied instances where players are given a prolonged black screen when entering spectator mode.
- Online Fix - Fixed sporadic instances of the “Cancel” button on the YouTube upload screen failing to function.
- Splitscreen Fix - Updated drift event rules screen.
- Career Fix – (GRID Series) – Remedied instances of the player not being given completed objective rewards.
- AI Fix – (Drift) – Fixed several instances where the AI in your heat always earns a score much higher or lower than the AI in every other heat.
- Career Fix – Fixed a tuning error when using the s2000 with certain teams in the first season of tuner.
- AI Fix - (Spa) – Resolved issues with multiple cars across various classes crashing into RHS wall at Eau Rouge chicane (turn 3).
- Art Fix – (Washington) – Fixed blank billboards/flags around track spillage areas where sponsors should have been displayed.
- Splitscreen Fix – (OSD) – Fixed instances where the starting sequence countdown for drift is displayed on the wrong screen, with incorrect timing for one player.
- Splitscreen Fix – Fixed issue in relation to there being no AI present when racing in splitscreen playlist events.
- AI Fix – (Touring) – Resolved instances of AI cars not moving off the starting grid at Mount Panorama.
- Online Fix – Buying a car immediately after purchasing a garage slot could cause the car names to be misaligned or missing.
- Online Fix – Users were in certain instances unable to “View Vehicle” within vehicle store until first viewing an owned car in a custom livery.
- Online Fix – (Eliminator) – Resolved issues related to players who terminally damage will be placed first on the results screen.
- Online Fix – Fixed instances of players switching from party mode to another vehicle discipline then having upgrade stats removed from a player’s owned car.
- Career Fix – Using a flashback whilst corner cutting could result in the lap counter not incrementing.
- Online Fix – Resolved sporadic instances of upgrading an owned vehicle also upgrading the loan version.
- Online Fix – Fixed some instances of vehicle models not correctly loading for party mode vehicle classes that have multiple vehicles.
- Online Fix - Fixed select tooltip persisting on screen during online sessions if the user is on the confirm repair screen as the pre-race timer expires.
- RaceNet Fix – Resolved issues related to the “best lap time” ghost car using a default livery rather than the player’s custom livery.
- Online Fix – Fixed instances of viewing another players stats causing the user to receive the wrong race winnings.
- RaceNet Fix – Players are told they are ‘Signing out of RaceNet’ when returning to the Press Start screen after purchasing DLC.
- Career Fix – (Street) – Some players were not awarded the team target bonus for Cup objectives when driving for Ravenwest.
- AI Fix – (Drift) – Very easy AI in quarter and semi final heats will always have medium level difficulty scores.
- Career Fix – (Drift) – Fixed sporadic instances of “Drive X km in a Drift event” sponsor objective giving an impossibly high figure.
- Feature Addition – Support implemented for additional DLC including a “Sprint” pack (with additional game mode) and a “Touring Car” pack.
- Miscellaneous additional bug fixes
07:10 AM - July 31, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Chris Sanner
Today, Codemasters announced F1 2014, their upcoming Formula One racing game for the 360, PS3, and PC. This will be the companies last old-gen release only, as next year they will be releasing their F1 title on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.
From the Codemasters' Blog:
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
02:41 PM - July 30, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
Ratings "Czar" Donny Moore recently took over the official Madden Twitter feed and revealed some more Madden NFL 15 player ratings.
- Brent Grimes - Overall 91
- Julio Jones - Overall 92
- Matt Ryan - Overall 87
- Alfred Morris - Overall 87
- Muhammad Wilkerson - Overall 93
- Alterraun Verner - Overall 87
- Tony Romo - Overall 91
- Reggie Bush - Overall 85
- Demaryius Thomas - Overall 93
- Brady Quinn - Overall 72
Marquette King is the second fastest punter in the game. (I don't want to play the cheeser that asked this question.)
02:33 PM - July 30, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS. Written by Steve Noah
EA Sports has just revealed the top cornerbacks in Madden NFL 15. New screenshots can be seen here.
Vontae Davis - Overall 92
Patrick Peterson - Overall 93
Joe Haden - Overall 95
Darrelle Revis - Overall 97
Richard Sherman - Overall 99
Here is a look at the release date schedule for the remaining ratings. With cornerbacks releasing a day late, it appears the entire schedule has been pushed a day. We will update the dates, if we get a revised schedule.
- Mon, July 21 – Top 10 Overall Rookies (Released)
- Tues, July 22 – Top 5 Overall QBs (Released)
- Wed, July 23 – Top 5 Overall RBs (Released)
- Thurs, July 24 – Top 5 Overall WRs/Top 5 Overall TEs (Released)
- Fri, July 25 – Top 5 Overall OL Players (Released)
- Sat, July 26 – Top 5 Overall DEs (Released)
- Sun, July 27 – Top 5 Overall DTs (Released)
- Mon, July 28 – Top 5 Overall LBs (Released)
- Tues, July 29 – Top 5 Overall OLBs (Released)
- Tues, July 29 – Top 5 Overall CBs (Released)
- Wed, July 30 – Top 5 Overall Safeties
- Thurs, July 31 – Top 5 Overall Special Teams
- Fri, Aug 1 – Top 10 Overall Players/Full AFC & NFC North Ratings
- Sat, Aug 2 – Full AFC & NFC South Ratings
- Sun, Aug 3 – Full AFC & NFC East Ratings
- Mon, Aug 4 – Full AFC & NFC West Ratings
- Tues, Aug 5 – Ratings Recap
12:54 PM - July 30, 2014. Posted by Steve_OS.
EA Sports is currently livestreaming Madden NFL 15, detailing the presentation and graphics. (Note: As of 3:30 PM EST, the stream has now ended. We'll effort an archived version soon!)
UPDATE: Click here to watch the archived stream. (It takes some time to load...)
Here are some thoughts on the stream today:
- The halftime show is definitely improved and of good quality. The problem will be most will find it perfectly skippable, but there aren't any real cases where a halftime show is must-see TV, even in real-life. It's sponsored by Verizon, so there's that.
- Commentary was ok, you didn't hear much of it due to the dev commentary over the gameplay, but it seemed to flow a bit better. We won't know anything about that until a later date.
- Coaches have unique body types and head models, so they do look better. Coaches we saw today (Reid, Tomlin mainly) were definitely a step up.
- Celebrations and such definitely are smoother/more aware of the context they're happening in since they happen within the gameplay itself and not a loaded cut-scene. Still some wonky instances but overall better.
- The developers talked about equipment a bit. The new uniforms for each team are going to be in, and uniform/helmet degradation are in as well.
- Switching of cameras was very smooth, definitely a huge improvement there.
- Sidelines are much busier now, more people on them, etc. They still don't look perfect, but from where we were to where we are now, huge improvement.
- Overall the presentation is quite good in-game this year, it definitely has a new layer of polish on it that wasn't there last year. It's not perfect, but clearly its taken yet another leap ahead this season.
12:36 PM - July 30, 2014. Posted by Ermolli. Written by Steve Noah
Visual Concepts has placed a job listing online looking for a user interface artist. They are asking for a person with an interest in sports, including baseball. The location for this opportunity looks to be in Seoul, Korea.
Maybe it's something, maybe not, but it's worth keeping an eye on and always fun to speculate.
Source - Slashgamer
12:17 PM - July 30, 2014. Posted by MMChrisS. Written by Caley Roark
MLB: The Show gets high praise around here, and usually for good reason. Despite being the only true console baseball title available, the developers haven’t become complacent. Every year, we see some nice innovations and revisions that demonstrate that the title isn’t taking its sole status for granted.
However, if there’s one area (outside online gameplay) that gets a bulk of the criticism, it’s The Show’s presentation. I try to emphasize in my review each year that The Show’s presentation (including commentary, camera angles, replays, etc.) isn’t bad, per se. Developments like authentic broadcast angles and real-time camera shots have revolutionized how virtual baseball looks. And in terms of replays and on-screen stats, no one does it better.
Read More - MLB 14 The Show: How to Improve the Presentation
11:48 AM - July 30, 2014. Posted by Ermolli. Written by Steve Noah
EA Sports was unable to reach an agreement with Brazilian clubs, due to some changes in the way players are licensed in Brazil domestic leagues. With that said, Brazilian clubs will not be included in FIFA 15.
Source - EA Sports